What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Two separate plants- one with white spots (looks like it was bleached) one with variegation on leaf and leaf “turning” sideways

Soiledseed

F2418657-6EB3-4409-867F-6014A1DE6C0B.jpeg

Hello everyone,
I would love some advice on what might be happening with my plant, or soil.
Two separate plants, one as you can see has these white spots on it that look like someone splashed bleach on it. (We’ll say plant #1)
The second one (plant #2) has developed these variegated leaves where the new growth is kind of turning, or twisting.
I am growing outdoor, organic inputs only.
Soil medium is mostly sphagnum, some coast of Maine compost, a little sand, and some perlite.
I have since added some of my own vermicompost and mulched with leaves and coast of Maine dark harbor mulch.
Overall plants are looking favorably but I am wondering what’s going on here.
Any thoughts are welcome

Attachments

• 06DE2AE1-0F25-495E-B06B-0E583F8CE935.jpeg
    06DE2AE1-0F25-495E-B06B-0E583F8CE935.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 124
  • F66F1E7D-74CA-42B2-B8CE-B89D03D92B42.jpeg
    F66F1E7D-74CA-42B2-B8CE-B89D03D92B42.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
first pic looks like you have rust fungus kinda but the spots are usually more round.

second pic looks like you are growing the original piff, High five! #Church

Cuban Black Haze
Cuban black haze copy 2.JPG

goingrey

Last edited:

Soiledseed

Thank you guys-
You think the variegations and twists is part of the strain? It’s purple haze, so maybe! It’s the only one I have here and the only one doing that. Conditions are the same for all of them (roughly)
As for the spots, not sure about fungus rust- and that link you sent says “404 page cannot be found”. I am thinking it is from something getting sprayed on it- like bug spray. My friend/Roomate says she thinks she sprayed herself close to the plant- and it kind of makes sense. I have two (Durban Poison) and this one is right on the edge of all my plants close to the open area of the patio. It really looks like splatter. I sprayed a bit on another leaf maybe we will see.

But back to the variegation, is that actually normal??

Thanks for responding!!

Soiledseed

goingrey

Thank you guys-
You think the variegations and twists is part of the strain? It’s purple haze, so maybe! It’s the only one I have here and the only one doing that. Conditions are the same for all of them (roughly)
As for the spots, not sure about fungus rust- and that link you sent says “404 page cannot be found”. I am thinking it is from something getting sprayed on it- like bug spray. My friend/Roomate says she thinks she sprayed herself close to the plant- and it kind of makes sense. I have two (Durban Poison) and this one is right on the edge of all my plants close to the open area of the patio. It really looks like splatter. I sprayed a bit on another leaf maybe we will see.

But back to the variegation, is that actually normal??

Thanks for responding!!

Soiledseed
Sorry for some reason there was an extra slash at the end of the link. Should work now. It's about a cannabis cercospora (a kind of leaf spot fungus) being discovered in 2015-2016.

Interesting idea about the bug spray. Unless you're in a malaria zone I'd take my chances with the bugs rather than something that causes that kind of issues for plants.

Variegation is uncommon but normal. Jack Herer and some Chems famously show it.

Soiledseed

Okay great- I won’t worry too much then about the variegation. I did read someone commenting in another post about possibly too much kelp meal- which I did use a decent amount of. So I’ll hold off on that too.
As for the article thank you for the send.
I did read it, and their description is close but not quite accurate- namely their comment about the diameter being 2-6 mm maximum. These are a range but many are 15-20 mm long. Also it does not have a dark brown/purple raised border. It’s tan, and flat. Looked at it under a 30x microscope. It doesn’t seem… alive, like fungus are.
I am thinking the bug spray is the culprit. I hope! Yes I agree as horrible as the mosquitos are in my backyard I will make sure she sprays elsewhere or not at all 😅

Thanks goinggrey :)

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
it's not kelp, kelp is good for your plants. it's genetic in certain cultivars like the piff and chem D and ECSD and it's also a one in a million leaves in others like the one on a '92 OG.

Chem D
Cdem D varigation 8.18.22.JPG

92 OG

'92 OGK varigation.JPG

this is a plant from seed, Katsu's Sour bubba, pre-98 Bubba x ECSD.
looks just like the new growth on the ECSD and I gave him the ECSD so I know it's in those genetics for sure. I pop many seeds and not found more than a handful that were variegated hard.

Sour Bubba

Katsu sour bubba varigation.JPG

ECSD new growth

ECSD Variegation.JPG

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Hoping it is common knowledge now, but do not use Eagle 20 (myclobutanil) for fungus. I bought and found out before using, that it is safe on ingested produce, but becomes hydrogen cyanide and chlorine when exposed to high temperatures. Article said in 2015 they tested 5 different bootleg vape cartridges and all contained high levels of it. Think 6 PPM is acceptable and they were 1600 PPM. So at that time outdoor growers used it a lot.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I've seen this about 10 times over the past years and it's nothing to worry about. It comes from the plant's genetics and is something I really like. Every plant I saw with these birthmarks turned into killer plants. About 85% of them will turn brown or purple colors in the colder temps. You should be happy 😎
IMG_1987.JPG

Mattbho

Death Bubba does it too . But those round white spots were bleach . Zoom in to see it starting to purple

Attachments

• 20220822_013036.jpg
    20220822_013036.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 112

Soiledseed

Hoping it is common knowledge now, but do not use Eagle 20 (myclobutanil) for fungus. I bought and found out before using, that it is safe on ingested produce, but becomes hydrogen cyanide and chlorine when exposed to high temperatures. Article said in 2015 they tested 5 different bootleg vape cartridges and all contained high levels of it. Think 6 PPM is acceptable and they were 1600 PPM. So at that time outdoor growers used it a lot.
Thanks I guess, but does this have anything to do with the post? I’m growing organically.

Soiledseed

it's not kelp, kelp is good for your plants. it's genetic in certain cultivars like the piff and chem D and ECSD and it's also a one in a million leaves in others like the one on a '92 OG.

Chem D
View attachment 18748332

92 OG

View attachment 18748333

this is a plant from seed, Katsu's Sour bubba, pre-98 Bubba x ECSD.
looks just like the new growth on the ECSD and I gave him the ECSD so I know it's in those genetics for sure. I pop many seeds and not found more than a handful that were variegated hard.

Sour Bubba

View attachment 18748334

ECSD new growth

View attachment 18748335
Okay fantastic! Thanks. Yeah it’s seeming like genetics is a big part of it!
Do however look a bit more into kelp (I will also)
It is definitely touted as beneficial and I’m on board with that, but the quantity of it can be important. Ie too much might be just that- too much. Basing this thinking off of other posts here, as well as a cannabis cultivation podcast which talked about kelp a bit.

Anyway, thanks! Excited now for my variegation 😁

St. Phatty

I have a male plant that has entire leaves and growing areas that are bleached white.

Never seen that before.

Better feed it to the birds before it makes some pollen.

Latest posts

Latest posts