What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Tuck Shop & Carmel – Legal Hash Reviews

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Tuck Shop & Carmel – Legal Hash Reviews

This time around, you get two for the price of one because I am reviewing two lumps of hash. It made sense to review these two together because despite the different brand names, they are both made by Carmel, in a plant off of Highway 11, up in that automotive blur that was north of Barrie but south of Orillia which historically had roadside markets, cheap gas stations and used furniture barns that all whizzed by as fast as you could drive by them on the way to the Muskokas or points further north. You stopped on this stretch for gas and then a half an hour later at Weber’s for a burger. I have many, many Hwy 11 stories from years and years of pounding Ontario byways as a road warrior that I won’t bore you with but I will answer the question that you didn’t even know to ask . . . yes, I have seen a moose calmly snacking on roadside treats beside Hwy 11. But I digress.

First up is:

Tuck Shop – Traditional Pressed Hash

Genetics: Unspecified hybrid
Grower/Producer: Carmel Cannabis – OroMedonte, Ontario

Overall Rating: Very good hash . . . if somewhat nondescript

Smell: muted spicy earthy
Taste: fairly neutral incense – just a tad of harshness
Consistency: a medium sticky lump that probably was a ball before it was squashed into the parchment package
Duration: very long

Potency: Tested @ 47.44% with 0.19% CBD

Available @ retail cannabis stores in Canada. $31.99/2 grams

tuck-shop-trad-hash.jpg

And then we have:

Carmel – Traditional Hash

Genetics: Animal Face
Grower/Producer: Carmel Cannabis – OroMedonte, Ontario

Overall Rating: A get a job done hash
Smell: muted pine and something sweet
Taste: fairly neutral incense – just a tad of harshness
Consistency: a very piable dryish ball of goodness
Duration: very long

Potency: Tested @ 47.8% with 0.26% CBD

Available @ retail cannabis stores in Canada. $36.99/2 grams

carmel04.JPG

First, let’s talk about packaging. The Tuck Shop did not come it that nice glass jar pictured above. It came as a flattened sphere in a parchment envelope. It was stuck to the parchment - which is par for the course but because it was parchment rather than the usual shitty plastic baggie that most suppliers use, it proved to be no obstacle. I put it in my own jar for convenience. So, I would say that the parchment envelope is the best economical way to package hash. It is cheap but it does the job with little pain.

And then there is the Carmel. It came in a very fancy ceramic jar that has a wooden lid complete with a very good soft plastic gasket to seal it securely. I know that I paid for it – just like all packaging - but it is seriously cool. Thanks, Carmel! Of course, in full disclosure, the hash ball was stuck to the bottom and it looks like it will take an iso wipe to clean it up.

Since these are both Carmel brands, they share the same growing facility. And technique. They are a micro grower and processor and they are a glowing example of everything that is good about legal cannabis growing. Small batch grows. A great collection of strains. Hung dried. Hand trimmed. A real cure! They sell flower, pre-rolls and hash. And as opposed to far too many other producers, there are no oil additives in their hash to boost THC levels! Hurray!

Of course they are not the only growers doing things right – my fav Purple Hills comes to mind –but it is still rare enough that it is worth the effort to make a point of highlighting it.

They do ice water filtration and cold curing – 3 months for the Carmel and unspecified for the Tuck Shop – and they claim to even burp the curing product daily for a period. After curing, the TS is pressed into its form while the Carmel is hand rolled.

Note: The Tuck Shop Hash is made from dry sift - not ice water - that is pressed at low temp. A lot of the online descriptions are wrong.

OK, OK I guess I better get to the guts of this review . . .

I can safely say that both of these are not half bad. While I found the Tuck to be weak on smell and taste, it was bang on for the high. A very nice rounded center of the road hybrid high with a great feel good listen to some music chill vibe. Yum. I can’t say that it is great hash because of its weak sauce presence but it certainly did the job well. It is just solid enough to be successfully smoked in my Happle – both of these were for that matter - and it hit well in my vape. I also found that the high was nicely sustained, as I was still tingling at over 3 hours - which for me was saying something. Something good . . .

That brings us to the Carmel hash. The extra $5 wasn’t just the fancy pants packaging, it also translated into better smell and taste – lemon pine with some vegetative mumble in the background. Certainly better than the Tuck but neither was in the same league as PH Moroccan Gold Hash - which is my benchmark for lower range legal hash. The high is the star here again – as it rightfully should be. Animal Face. Face Off OG x Animal Mints. A wonderfully focussed Sativa high. Not a sit up straight kind of laser focus but more of a comfortable dive into a project focus. Quite nice actually but I felt that it wasn’t as long as the Tuck’s stone.

So there you have it. And I get two nice hash options to keep in my rotation.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Clarification . . .

When I bought the Tuck Shop I noticed that it said dry sift hash on the back of the package and yet all of the online descriptions said it was ice water hash. I emailed their customer service and it is definitely dry sift. It is then pressed at a low temperature. They sent me this picture as well . . . :rasta:

tuck-shop-trad-hash-2.jpg

haze*ekiel420

Nice Bro 😍 thx for the Report. Sounds Like you get some real nice hash These days.. since 1or 2 years ca?

In what vape r u consuming? I realy Like hash at 230 * C in the volcano.. below its missing something in my Experience 😢 would love to vape hash on the Go..
Edit. Just realised After Reading a other Review from you, you already told, Happle — is This the nugz häpple? Looks realy freaky😍
Have a Great Week 🪬

Last edited:

mr.brunch

Veteran
Lovely stuff…
Not seen any nice hash in my country for a long time, when I started smoking it was mostly always hash but no longer.
Thanks for sharing mate :tiphat:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Nice Bro 😍 thx for the Report. Sounds Like you get some real nice hash These days.. since 1or 2 years ca?

In what vape r u consuming? I realy Like hash at 230 * C in the volcano.. below its missing something in my Experience 😢 would love to vape hash on the Go..
Edit. Just realised After Reading a other Review from you, you already told, Happle — is This the nugz häpple? Looks realy freaky😍

Yes, I have a Happle. It is a pre-Nugz vintage collector's model. ;) and it is the #1 best way to smoke hash. Except that it will only work with non-melty hash. All of the better ice water and a few rare sifts with THC above 50-60% THC just fizzle and melt when you try to flame them so the Happle is out because it counts on a smouldering ember to work. The Hash Kettle is the same.

For the melties, I smoke in my Shaka hash pipe or I vape with an APX Volt from Pulsar. It uses a quartz bowl so it is perfect for concentrates – like a mini rig. I don’t own a real concentrate rig because I know myself and that shit would just be dangerous when I was high. I use the Volt’s 3.2v setting for 2 or 3 nice tasting tokes from a flattened piece of goodness. It’s a bitch to clean and my battery is on the wane so I have to recharge in-between each chunk . . . but the chunks are usually good enough and one will more often than not do the job. I can’t feel my pain and I have a big smile on my face. Normal hash works in the Volt as well but it leaves a bit of residue to clean.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Not seen any nice hash in my country for a long time, when I started smoking it was mostly always hash but no longer.

In the early 70s, hash was more reliable because it was easier to ship into Canada - at least here in the east. Pot was mostly crappy brick until the late 70s.

And today? My local store - that is 1.4km from my door - is specializing in hash so I have a hard time resisting the urge to sample all of the time. I restrict myself to one visit a month. :rolleyes:

I make my own ice water hash so my justification is: Well, I need some hash to smoke in my Happle . . . :cool:

haze*ekiel420

In the early 70s, hash was more reliable because it was easier to ship into Canada - at least here in the east. Pot was mostly crappy brick until the late 70s.

And today? My local store - that is 1.4km from my door - is specializing in hash so I have a hard time resisting the urge to sample all of the time. I restrict myself to one visit a month. :rolleyes:

I make my own ice water hash so my justification is: Well, I need some hash to smoke in my Happle . . . :cool:
Variety is Spice of life😍 Even though i am completely Self sufficient weed and hash wise ( and mint, topinambur and Oregano💪🏻) i allways Like to try different stuff.. i buy a Little medicinal weed but mostly Trade with other growers. When there comes a good hash deal from time to time, i get weak and buy much more than i Need.. 😅

I guess i would Check out the hash Shop weekly😂😂