What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

TMV tobacco mosaic virus?

sticky.colors

Tell me what you think about this

Plants from same seedsupply at different places, female and male

Female

1000003492.jpg

1000003494.jpg
1000003493.jpg

Attachments

• 1000003379.jpg
    1000003379.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30

vermontman

Tell me what you think about this

Plants from same seedsupply at different places, female and male

Female

View attachment 19030003
View attachment 19029987 View attachment 19029990
My first impression is broad mites, though many plant illnesses
Mimic nutrient deficiencies, but it could be just that. My first thought would be get a small hand held light illuminated scope that is 200X Mag. pick off the most curled leaves off the top of the plant and really check them out, to at least rule that out.
But your plants look quite fixable, just need to be assessed!
Hope that helps. Tobacco Mosaic virus is more ring spot looking.
Please let us know so we can all keep growing!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The photo with the mottled pattern on the leaf looks like TMV. Do you or anyone else smoke tobacco?
When tobacco products are handled or kept in pockets, hands and clothing can become contaminated with TMV and be a source of the virus.

Tobacco products can carry the virus and can be a source of contamination. TMV can be spread to plants by handling tobacco products without washing your hands afterwards, or by accidentally touching plants with contaminated hands. TMV can also contaminate seed coats, which can infect plants that germinate from those seeds. Google

Should you kill an infected plant after a positive TMV ID?
Yes, you should remove and destroy plants that have symptoms of tobacco mosaic virus.
TMV). TMV is a highly contagious virus that can't be cured with chemicals. It can infect up to 350 plant species, including tomatoes, petunias, and tobacco. Symptoms include leaves that curl and appear mottled with yellow-blistered and dark green areas. The severity and type of symptoms can vary depending on temperature, nutrients, moisture, and light conditions.

Michigan State University

sticky.colors

Tobacco is present so infection is quite possible tho i always wash my hands properly before handling plants i will switch to gloves and alcohol desinfection from now on 😅
I cut the suspicious leaves out. No broadmites visible... The plantmatter is on its way to the lab. Takes about a week i think. In case of infection it would be a pity regarding those poor worms in 200 litres of soil.... Any suggestions what to do with it?

I would probably continue because plants are generally looking good, finish the job. Replacing stuff then, putting the soilbed somewhere else and test it again? Could be desperate and obsolete effort idk.
Have a good one 👊

Attachments

• 1000003517.jpg
    1000003517.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 1000003519.jpg
    1000003519.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 1000003515.jpg
    1000003515.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 1000003513.jpg
    1000003513.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 25

Shua1991

There are a multitude of mosaic viruses that can infect and spread across species. Alfalfa mosaic virus can spread from alfalfa teas from infected plants.

sticky.colors

Thanks for your advice. I am aware of this. There are too many mosaic variants for me to test them all. Lab told me they tested for alfalfa, tobacco and cannabis.