What's new

THE Rabbit Manure Tea Discussion Thread (My Process Included)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
While I understand the number of growers who keep rabbits is low, I wanted to provide a discussion area for various methods of making tea from the wonderful manure rabbits provide. The main discussions I would like to see are processes for making teas and the effect of dietary changes on the nutrient value of the teas. While I have no personal input on dietary changes, many studies I've read show diet has a direct impact on nutrient values of the manure.

I would like to start the discussion by posting the process I use for making what I call 'Liquid Gold.' :) It can be made with various nitrogen levels depending on your needs. I'm not going to be making it a business, and everyone should know how to do this. It's shelf stable unless contaminated and lasts a good year when kept at room temp. This process leaves you with an organic nutrient which is chock full of extremely hardy microorganisms, ready to immediately go to town in your root zone. It was created through a lot of research, and a key bit of info deciphered from a story John Kempf tells about potato fields in Idaho. ;)

INGREDIENTS:

Manure
I do my best to avoid using urine soaked manure and I prefer fresh over aged. Ideally you should have 'just' manure but small amounts of plant friendly materials is fine. (Have you come across materials which should be avoided like the plague?)

Water
I use r/o filtered water. You can choose differently, especially if you have a clean source of non-treated local water.

EMR1 Starter
This is an Effective Microorganism culture made from rice wash and super clean, super fresh, rabbit manure and water instead of milk. I figured, why not use the rice wash with manure to fast track the organisms I want?

Brown Sugar
At this point I have no input on quality making any difference. Unsulfured molasses may be a substitute but I personally do not like the smell difference, though I have no idea on the performance difference.

EQUIPMENT:

Bucket w/Lid
I use 5 gallon buckets for now, but essentially you need a food grade container or bucket of some sort. The lid should fit airtight.

Strainer
The crudest strainer I use is small holes drilled in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, set inside a second 5 gallon bucket. I lift the drilled bucket and hang it above the 5 gallon bucket it's sitting in until it drains completely. In the future I would like a press and finer filtration.

Sealable Storage Container
I use 5 gallon buckets, but again any food grade container which can be sealed will work.

Airpump w/airline
I use a 3.5 watt dual output airpump for a 5 gallon bucket. Too much or too little? I have no idea. I do know the end product works, so... ;)

PROCESS

You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up! Oh wait, wrong script. heh Seriously though, this is rather simple so hang on and here we go...

EMR1 Starter Creation

Take a cup of rice (I use non-enriched brown and white rice combined. Yeah, I'm ok with being weird. lol) and put it in a pot. Add a quart of clean water, swish it around and dump this rinse water in a clear container.

Add at least 1 cup of super clean, super fresh rabbit manure and cover with a breathable lid. Let this container sit until a clear separation of layers can be seen and before it begins smelling foul.

Carefully siphon off the middle layer of liquid.

Mix the liquid 50/50 with brown sugar and put in a sealed container. This has a shelf life of about a year when kept at room temp.

Mix Manure, Water and EMR1 Starter
I use approximately 2.5 gallons of manure and fill the bucket to about the 4 gallon mark. This makes a very strong tea which can be diluted as needed.

Add 2 cups of EMR1 Starter and stir well

Set the container where it will maintain the temps you will be using it at, such as your grow space or in your field.

Let it steep for approximately 11 days. (Note: Stirring it twice a day will result in about 100% LESS nitrogen ((6/26/23 Edit: Oops... 100% would mean zero N, so I have to find the studies covering nitrogen losses. I want to say it should have read 40%? )) vs. letting it sit undisturbed, which has worked great as a terpene booster so far.)

Strain out the solids

Seal up the container and keep it somewhere cool (not cold) for 5 days. (All oxygen loving organisms will die)

Add air lines from the pump and pump air through the mixture for 24hrs? Not sure on this one but I did 24hrs and it worked. (All anerobic loving organisms die in the oxygenated environment.)

Bottle for use or use immediately, you'll need to test your own product to determine dilution rates. Enjoy ;)

I hope this information gets spread quickly and efficiently, so the maximum number of growers can benefit from it.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

I forgot to mention it does not 'stink.' It smells similar to lightly fermented berries with something else in the smell. The straight juice is definitely a strong smell though, just not an unpleasant one. :)

singlecoiled

I have a pet bunny, house trained that uses a litter box like a cat. If you chop up the dry manure, it looks and behaves just like soil. Its not smelly at all and is a dark brown color..

I mixed it into my Fox Farm Coco Loco to see how it will do, not too much, around 2-3 cups of manure to 3 gallons of soil. After mixing it into the soil, you wouldnt know its there. It looks exaclty the same as the coco loco...

So far, so good. Just a seedling, but it seems to be happy. My seedling's don't normally pray like this (leaves up) maybe its the manure.

_DSC5873c.JPG

Douglas.Curtis

Good on you, and I'm sure it will go well. :)

I recently was handed some cannabis grown outdoor in terrible soil, amended 90% by rabbit manure. There was mention of 'one' application of MiracleCrud, which I can actually taste, but there is definitely the subtle hint of amazingly complex flavors here and there. The power of bunny. ;)

The "Liquid Gold" formula of mine has been used in a neglected hydro setup with calcium acetate for a couple months now. The plant turned out to be male and most of it was chopped. The stump has been growing in the bucket with pods picked off when they form. The water is CLEAR (forgot to take a pic today), and has no obvious algae buildup at a glance, despite the fact it's not light proofed much.

Love da bunnies! :D

singlecoiled

Good on you, and I'm sure it will go well. :)

I recently was handed some cannabis grown outdoor in terrible soil, amended 90% by rabbit manure. There was mention of 'one' application of MiracleCrud, which I can actually taste, but there is definitely the subtle hint of amazingly complex flavors here and there. The power of bunny. ;)

The "Liquid Gold" formula of mine has been used in a neglected hydro setup with calcium acetate for a couple months now. The plant turned out to be male and most of it was chopped. The stump has been growing in the bucket with pods picked off when they form. The water is CLEAR (forgot to take a pic today), and has no obvious algae buildup at a glance, despite the fact it's not light proofed much.

Love da bunnies! :D

Nice ! Yes, I've read that bunny poo poo is one of the best, usable fresh too... And let me say this about rabbits, they are poop factories ! She sits on her little toilet and you can hear the pellets (poop) hitting her metal container. "Ping" --- "Ping"... They make a lot of manure per day, (one day = 2 cups or more)

Now, here is where the circle can come complete. If I feed her cannabis leaves on defoliation day, she will be pooping "recycled" cannabis. Just the way nature intended. I doubt you can get any more organic than that.

My pet bunny just came and poked me with her nose looking for a head pet. People have no idea how good these animals are as pets. Much joy and peace for my family, she does way more good than you can imagine. Very sweet animals. She sleeps with us, eats with us and purrs like a cat when you pet her...They are also cute on a whole nother level....

Douglas.Curtis

Clean-Rabbit-Manure-Tea-Hydro.jpg
Water is clear, with bits of floating dead roots in it. You can see there's no light proofing around the lava rock in the net basket. The 'cover' is off to the left side and does not 'seal' light out. Zero algae and only a thin biofilm of bacteria. :D

Chrizpchicken

Douglas. Curtis I must ask you after you pump the air thru your mix for 24 hours will this final liquid be shelf stable for a year as well? If bottled up and sealed right away of course. Then you mention that all o2 loving lil guys die off then you mention that once the air is added that all anaerobic guys die off. So with this happening is that what makes this shelf stable? Since all fertilizer "teas" are a living thing which is why we make them so as to add all those great microorganisms and micronutrients. My main concern is that I want to be able to make this in larger batches and be able to store some for a short bit so as to not have to keep making it. Can you perhaps fill me in on this? I really need a shelf stable product and can't find anything really on making and storing a rabbit tea as the issue of things in the mix dying and messing up the final product. I have toyed With the idea of adding a sugar as you stated to feed the living bodies then pumping oxygen into the final part bottled liquid and then sealing it up air tight in hope that would give it a shelf life of Six months to a year. Thoughts on this? Any info you can provide me to get me where I'm trying to go as far as the end result would be greatly helpful. Or even pointing me in a direction where I can research the info I'm looking for. Thank you so much.

TrainingHay

I had to burp rabbit extract daily. I was already burping other bottles so not an issue if you truly believe the wasted time and space or organics is going to improve your crop like I did. It's not, but people love brewing up bone broth with fermented apples or whatever instead of buying acids and sugars and minerals.. It makes sense until you realize people are buying bones to turn into liquid bone meal, growing corn just for the husks, growing tomatoes just to compost, breeding rabbits just to have rabbit shit. If you don't waste enough time you can't be a guru. All these guys will talk shit if you put 3% phosphoric acid in your bottles to keep them safe them from blowing up. Phosphoric acid? That's like, chemicals, maaan.

Douglas.Curtis

@Chrizpchicken Yes, the solution is shelf stable for at least a year. I still have a half gallon from the original batch which was just fine, until it froze this winter. No blowing up, even after being used multiple times to pour some into other containers for feedings.

Without killing off the anerobic bacteria through bubbling, and then killing off the aerobic bacteria by suffocation, you'll have gassing issues any time oxygen or 'food' gets into the bottle when it's used. When you kill both off, your chances of gassing up are extremely limited.

Chrizpchicken

@Douglas.Curtis ty for the input of info it greatly appreciated. I must ask tho why is it do you think that no one from what I have been able to find is doing or making a liquid fertilizer from rabbit on a commercial scale? I was looking and looking in hope of buying a finished product however when I couldn't I ended up here in this thread trying to figure a way to make this for myself since I couldn't find anything on the market to purchase. I would of thought for sure I'd find something from all the rave reviews and all the people talking up the rabbit as if it was or is the greatest thing since sliced bread on so many levels from the animal to food to what is waste does for the garden and for mother earth. I only found one company out of Texas that does this and sprays hay farmers fields to rejuvenate the soil and increase crop size and yield from what I read on their website. The only thing I could figure is maybe people don't have a big enough source of rabbit to make a commercial product? That or maybe it just can't be done? What are your thoughts on this? I know you mentioned in the beginning of your post that you were not doing this with the intention of making a product to take to market. I was really surprised that there is so little information out there in the way of rabbit being used as a fertilizer except from people who raised or know rabbits. Or do you not think that this is a feesable thing to do and perhaps that's why no one has done it? I was considering looking into some college course to take to learn how to make this so that I could store it for myself and other herb farmer friends of mine cause it's already so much work already then to have to take on making this every time you want to use it. I myself already brew a tea once a week that I feed weekly. I have had great results with what I make but I keep hearing that your yield will be so much more with the use of the love from the rabbit...you should see some of the monsters I've grown. Talking 10-12 feet tall plus... No joke I have picks. Thoughts?

Douglas.Curtis

@Chrizpchicken I blame the ridiculous attitude of the common american idiot, toward one of the most nutritious meats on the planet. Rabbit is too cute for them so there is low demand for rabbit meat.

That... and rabbits require more labor through more socialization, keeping conditions cleaner and processing.

Rabbits create lots of manure, yet it's still minor compared to larger animals due to low population sizes.