What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The NEW Reefer Madness tactic...

jpt again

Legal Pot blamed for homelessness in CO:
Legal pot blamed for some of influx of homeless in Denver this summerBy Tom McGhee
The Denver Post

When Edward Madewell's mother asked him to come home after five years of homelessness and drift, he bought a Greyhound bus ticket and headed for Missouri. Halfway there, his mother told him he would have to give up the marijuana he uses to control seizures and switch to prescribed medicine. Madewell changed his plans and headed for Colorado, where recreational weed has been sold legally since Jan. 1.
"I'm not going to stop using something organic," he said. "I don't like the pills."
Madewell is among the homeless lured to Colorado by legal marijuana who are showing up at shelters and other facilities, stressing a system that has seen an unusually high number of people needing help this summer.
A young, homeless woman with the street name of "Q" smokes marijuana from a glass pipe handed to her by Dusty Taylor, 20, right, also currently homeless, at the intersection of 21st Ave and Stout St. in downtown Denver Wednesday morning, July 23, 2014. (Andy Cross, The Denver Post)

"Of the new kids we're seeing, the majority are saying they're here because of the weed. They're traveling through. It is very unfortunate," said Kendall Rames, deputy director of Urban Peak, a nonprofit that provides food, shelter and other services to young people in Denver and Colorado Springs.
Younger visitors to Father Woody's Haven of Hope, which serves people age 18 and older, typically are more demanding and difficult than their elders, director Melinda Paterson said. "Typically, they have an attitude. But we are really strict here. We treat you with respect, ... and if they are not respectful, we ask them to leave," she said.
Combined with an increase in those who arrive penniless and seeking jobs in the state's strengthening employment market, the homeless influx is straining a service network already under stress, said Murray Flagg, divisional social services secretary for the Salvation Army's Intermountain Division.
Not everyone who works with the homeless singles out marijuana as a contributing factor to their arrival here.
"We have had an influx, and the majority of them have been from out of town. I have no idea if the marijuana law has had an impact," Paterson said.
But homeless advocates agree that numbers have swollen, sometimes dramatically, over the past year.
The number of those who go to Father Woody's normally rises by about 50 people per month during the summer, Paterson said. This year, she said, "we have gotten 923 new homeless over the last three months," more than 300 a month.
About two months ago, she added, the shelter began bringing those who eat breakfast and lunch there to the table in shifts to accommodate the increase.
"It is worrisome in the sense that how are we going to clothe and feed and find shelter for them?" she said.
The Cannabist

Between May 1 and July 15, Urban Peak's drop-in center, where homeless people 15 through 24 can get a meal, do laundry, shower or take GED and other classes, saw the number of new visitors jump by 5 percent over the same period last year, Rames said.
Last summer, the Salvation Army's single men's Crossroads Shelter in Denver housed an average of 225 men each night.
This summer's average is about 300 per night, and when other shelters are full, the organization provides a bed for as many as 350, Flagg said.
In the past, the shelter's residents averaged between 35 and 60 years old. "Now we are seeing a much larger number of 18- to 25-year- olds."
An informal survey performed at the shelter suggested that about 25 percent of the increase in population was related to marijuana, Flagg said.
While many come to smoke without worrying about the law, others "are folks looking to work in the industry, a lot of them have an agricultural background," or other experience they expect will be in demand, he said.
They may also have a felony on their record that automatically disqualifies them from getting a job in the highly regulated business.
Those who do find jobs in pot shops and grow houses often don't earn enough to pay rent or buy a home in Denver's expensive housing market, Flagg said. They, too, can end up homeless.
The shelters don't require anyone to explain why they came to Colorado, but some do volunteer their reasons.
On the list of reasons given at St. Francis Center, a daytime shelter, marijuana trails only looking for work, said Tom Leuhrs, the executive director.
While marijuana use contributes to the number of homeless, the growth in their numbers indicates that people are having difficulty moving into the workforce from high school and college, Leuhrs said.
"The economy is not supporting them. There are not enough jobs," Leuhrs said.
He sees an almost even split between those, like Madewell, who say they use pot for medical reasons, and others who crave easy access to a legal high.
Dusty Taylor, 20, who was standing in line for breakfast at Urban Peak this week, said he came back to Colorado, where he grew up and had been homeless in the past, after hearing weed had been legalized.
"I said, I should go back. It was, like, I don't want to catch a felony for smoking."
Tom McGhee: 303-954-1671, [email protected] or twitter.com/dpmcghee

T

tropicannayeah

What the prohibitionists need is not news reports about a 5% increase in homeless in Colorado, which is pretty piss weak whichever way you play it. What they need is an "innocent" blond haired 17 year old girl's death that is related to cannabis and becomes front page news....there's nothing like a dead young blonde girl to stir up the sheep...but it probably won't actually really happen, so they (those who keep on profiting from the War on Cannabis) will fabricate it somehow or something similar with more lies, spin, bias and bullshit...and Fox, CNN and the other media outlets who rely on advertising income from companies who profit from Cannabis prohibition will keep on trying, being the money sluts that they are. To think the War on Cannabis is already been beaten is probably wishful thinking...never underestimate the power and influence of the almighty dollar.

Sadly, I feel (and I hope I'm wrong) that the only way we will see universal legalization of cannabis is when tobacco companies use their "influence" (= greater donations to politicians) and huge cash reserves to monopolize the legal cannabis market.....us home growers will still be able to "grow our own" but 99.8% of the market will be owned by multinational corporations (much like most retards eat McD's shit rather than nutritious food). Wall street has Washington in it's pocket and has for the past 60 years...that ain't gonna change anytime fast.

Last edited:

EsterEssence

Veteran
I watched a show on nat geo, called rocky mtn high. It portrayed the worst possible angles they could find, it was total bullshit negative propaganda, reminded me of reffer madness, what else did i expect from that fox owned channel..

T

tropicannayeah

what else did i expect from that fox owned channel..

exactly!

Firebrand

I watched a show on nat geo, called rocky mtn high. It portrayed the worst possible angles they could find, it was total bullshit negative propaganda, reminded me of reffer madness, what else did i expect from that fox owned channel..
The same people that gave us the "WMD's in Iraq" story as they tried to gain public support for an unpopular action.

Wait a second, Colorado is rich deep in new state revenues but they can't keep the strain of the new lower income folks housed? I don't get it, didn't they know more tourism equates to more of every type, crime aside, what the hell? They were just gonna line the coffers and mirrors w coke and have a hay day? Someone surely architected a plan to increase money flowing to social needs organizations.

With such a highly addictive drug, comes street addicts lol

Jhhnn

Veteran
Young & homeless is a growing problem nationwide.

Thanks, Job Creators!

Denver has long been the summer home of transient homeless. They spot me as a soft touch from a block away, always have. It's OK. They don't scare me, and I usually try to engage them in conversation while digging out a cigarette or a few bucks. none have ever offered me any harm.

They come here because Denver offers more services & less hostility than a lot of other places. When I lived off E Colfax, I learned to recognize the regulars, people who live a migratory existence. They came back to Denver every summer. Most head south in the winter. Many of those are a bit damaged, usually by alcoholism, mild schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, birth trauma, FAS or something completely unidentifiable.

The phenomenon of young & homeless is increasingly evident, sad to say. This lesser depression has damaged the prospects for a whole generation of Americans, much like the great depression of the 30's. Last time I checked, this really is a land of plenty. It's a shameful reflection on us all that so very, very few should have so very, very much when so many have very little at all.

Jhhnn

Veteran
This article is total BS, but I have to wonder how the hell do homeless people afford to buy weed?

They kinda bump along the bottom. Panhandle. Day Labor when they can get it. Sell plasma. Shelters & food programs. Tough to get enough money together to do anything with it other than spend some to kill the pain.

If you fall far enough, it's Hell to get back up.

Growcephus

Veteran
Young & homeless is a growing problem nationwide.

It's a shameful reflection on us all that so very, very few should have so very, very much when so many have very little at all.

Need a tissue?

How about a band-aid for that bleeding heart?

If you feel so "ashamed" about bums, why don't YOU devote YOUR life to solving their problems. The rest of us have our own problems to deal with and don't need to be further hampered by lazy bastards, idiots, and crazy people.

Pot smoking bums moving to legal states in order to legally bum around smoking pot should be surprising to exactly NOBODY.

Typical propaganda from the "mainstream media" / national propaganda agencies.

ic

ic

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They kinda bump along the bottom. Panhandle. Day Labor when they can get it. Sell plasma. Shelters & food programs. Tough to get enough money together to do anything with it other than spend some to kill the pain.

If you fall far enough, it's Hell to get back up.

Go to any metropolis, that's exactly how the homeless survive....plenty of cities' homeless populations hangout in parks and smoke weed. Having it legal might increase the population but not in droves....come November and onward into winter, homeless move to warmer climates or depend on shelters, etc.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Need a tissue?

How about a band-aid for that bleeding heart?

If you feel so "ashamed" about bums, why don't YOU devote YOUR life to solving their problems. The rest of us have our own problems to deal with and don't need to be further hampered by lazy bastards, idiots, and crazy people.

Pot smoking bums moving to legal states in order to legally bum around smoking pot should be surprising to exactly NOBODY.

Typical propaganda from the "mainstream media" / national propaganda agencies.

View Image
View Image

When going into a rant like that, I'd appreciate it if you'd give me the courtesy of a full quote rather than one clipped for your purposes.

There were lots of "bums" in the early 30's, too, for the same reasons- lack of jobs & opportunities while the people at the top ran the screws down tight.

The best time to be rich? That's when everybody else is broke, busted & begging. They'll work for nearly nothing, sell their assets for a song just to feed their families. That's when you can really put the bone to 'em, make no mistake about that.

Sounds like you're on the wrong tail of the pareto curve along with about half the population of this country. If you think that the powerless are dragging you down rather than the powerful pushing you down, think again.

Latest posts

Latest posts