What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Black Box

oldtree

Here are a few pics from an upcoming project. I have 30 seedlings going in my other cabinet. Strains are Grape Krush, HP x BlueDream, Blue Rhino x Citrus Skunk, Lemon Skunk, C99, and Pure Power Plant. In all this madness a breeding project and a search for moms needs to take place.
008-13.jpg

Here is the Box. Still in progress.
003-6.jpg

005-4.jpg

I've mouted a flat piece of cabinet shelving directly to the metal shelf. This gives me a reinforcing layer so when the hood is attached it is more rigid and less likely to buckle. The ballast is attached to the shelf. There is an outdoor timer/power strip next to the ballast.
002-6.jpg

Close-up of darkroom vent.
003-9.jpg

The fan will be attached here and there will be a "y" attachment with a homeade carbon filter. One vent will remove air from the hood and the other will remove air from the cab. There will be a 6 inch fan which will blow on the plants. The hood will be attached with a pair of eye bolts and "s" hooks in a fixed position. With the shelves I can adjust to the light as needed.
001-5.jpg

So here's the plan. The plants will remain in this cab on 12/12.
036-2.jpg

In about 35 days I will see who's who. The only male that will be kept is the Grape Krush. The healthiest females of the five strains will be cloned. Those clones will go in the the black cabinet and will be my mothers. Since they need to go back into the beige cab after the seed project they need to be trained and topped over the next two months. I want to keep them under 16 inches tall. The beige cab will be the new clone/veg and mom cab. I want to keep this behemoth for flowering only. If I want a new mom I will start seeds in the black box and take cuttings off a suitable female and put her in the beige cab.
The light is a 400 watt hps/mh with a swithable/digital ballast.

oldtree

I was going to create a second post in this forum for my other cab but this seems easier. I wish I had more to show you guys but we are at the beginning. All we can do is show a little proof of life. lol
002-8.jpg

I'm sure the next update will be more dramatic. haha

oldtree

Small update. I transplanted everyone today. There is also some mylar in the cab now. There isn't much hope for the grape krush. We will keep checking em'. In the meantime I have started 5 Islandmadness'. If the krush doesn't pop I will start 5 more in addition to the Ism's.
005-9.jpg

The mylar has gone up in the black cab as well.
001-7.jpg

oldtree

It's been 5 more days and I am back with another little update. Still no joy on the Grape Krush. I think it is time to call them a loss. The odd thing is that both the papaya and the grape krush failed to sprout but the pure power plant that came with the order is crazy strong.
Here is an updated list of the strains...
C99
Pure Power Plant
Hashplant x blue Dream
Islandmadness
Blue Rhino Citrus Skunk
Lemon Skunk
Here are a couple update pics.
Islandmadness. In three days they will go into the beer cups.
002-9.jpg

Group shot.
005-9.jpg

004-10.jpg

I added one more 23 w bulb for a total of 299 watts.
So I guess I have to find a new dad to pollinate my girls. I am excited about another breeding project. It would be nice to get at least 750+ seeds this time round. lol

oldtree

Back with an update. In two days er'one is going to 12/12. Most of them are already growing their 4th internode. Here are some pics of the plants in groups. I could've done this sooner but they haven't really expressed themselves until now.

Blue Rhino x Citrus Skunk
002-10.jpg

C99. I was dissapointed to see I only started 3. Thought it was 5. Whoops. lol
008-15.jpg

Lemon skunk. Love this strain. Great nite time meds. Just smoked the last of the bud from my last harvest :(
012-12.jpg

Pure power plant. I hear she is a big yielder. It's my first time growing her.
014-9.jpg

015-10.jpg

Hashplant x Blue Dream
017-8.jpg

018-7.jpg

Here is a couple shots of everyone.
023-9.jpg

Here is one with the Ism's in frame. They have only developed their first set of true leaves.
022-7.jpg

oldtree

Put up my light today. Here are a couple pics. I had to find a way to have it in a fixed position. I took the shelf down, drilled four holes and threaded those U shaped rods through and used nuts and washers to secure it. Those little climber hooks are off of a couple yo-yo's that I bought with the light and broke as soon their was weight on them. Live and learn. It works reall well.
002-11.jpg

004-11.jpg

001-8.jpg

Going to build a carbon filter in the next couple days. It will be attached straight out from the vent fan.
Chicken wire will attach the Y from the fan to the ducting cap piece. Over that I will wrap the Carbon filter fabric and use zip ties to cinch everything together. The fan will draw air out of the light and the cab in theory. lol

Have you considered omitting the "y" and having air drawing from the flower through the cool tube and out the cab. It wouldn't do quite as well for heat but having a y is always going to be difficult to balance for airflow. Totally your call, but I think I'd do it differently from you.

oldtree

Thx for the comments guys. It's been a long time coming. I have had this cab since spring and have been dying to try it out. I'm with ya FOH. I know it will cause issues but I need to find some way of integrating a carbon filter into the mix. I have six inches of space on the other side of the light. I could attach a filter there and kill two birds with one stone. Then the air will go through the filter, then light, then out the cab.
It's all new to me. I have used 400 watts before but it was a mix of cfl's and hps. The heat issue is the only thing i am worried about. I keep my house at 68 degrees so I would be safe if the cab temp went up to 80 degrees. We should be alright.
Here is an update of the plants. Lot of growth for five days...
001-9.jpg

002-12.jpg

003-11.jpg

The above pics show the clone-able shoots beginning to grow. This is what I was waiting for. On Wednesday the kids are going into 12/12. Two weeks after that when we see who's who I will clone those little shoots and they will be my new moms.
Couple broad shots.
007-12.jpg

008-16.jpg

Islandmadness. They are a week behind the others.
011-8.jpg

013-14.jpg

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
all looks good bro, nice start n'job man,plant have nice green and looks healthy i'll be watching fo su tha progress!!!

oldtree

Back with an update. I've been pushing the kids pretty hard. There are a couple that are really outshining the others. One of them is the HP x BD. I am hoping it is a boy. Here are some assorted pics...

BR x CS
001-10.jpg

Cindy 99 She has a nute sensitivity which continues to be a pain in my ass. lol
003-12.jpg

HP xBD
Looking forward to see this flower out. I love hashplant. It is in my top 5 faves.
007-13.jpg

Lemon Skunk. Continues to show beautiful colors when I grow it. I did have a couple days where it was cold. The window is closed now. None of the others have started to change color though.
008-17.jpg

009-9.jpg

010-12.jpg

012-13.jpg

Pure Power Plant
These are the most vigorous of the group. They have crazy amount of off-shoots. Plenty of choices for future moms.
013-15.jpg

018-8.jpg

Couple of wide shots.
019-10.jpg

021-9.jpg

We should really see the difference in the strains in the next update. The first signs of sex. Then its time to thin the herd. lol I will be transplanting everyone into 1 gallon grow bags to finish.

C

camoxnhx

looking REALLLLLL GOOD! liking the purp hues in the leaves. this is gonna be a good grow and harvest!!! im sittin down and waiting for end results!!! KEEP THAT THUMB GREEN N STICKY!

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
hey coming really good man!!..vigorous structure they put up ,after transplant they get fattening fo su , seriously pretty cab!!

oldtree

Thanks guys. It's starting to come along now.
I just built a cloning box 18 x 18 x 18
001-11.jpg

002-14.jpg

003-13.jpg

I have to tweak the doors a little but other than that it is ready.
This got me thinking. I could use both cabs for a staggered flowering cycle. I could take cuttings from plants flowering and have a perpetual harvest. The way I see it running more than one strain per cab would be a nightmare. Tell me what you guys think.