What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

THC from yeast

HL45

Veteran
My bros been telling me about this since last year. Apparently it can be done with many different drugs.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Not that I expect anyone to read the science paper but the yeast does not make THC, it does have a THCA synthase gene that will convert CBGA when spiked into the broth by people, to THCA. This was also done by Shoyama and Taura in 2007.
But that will be just THCA, not THCA and terpenes like found in resin. I know what I like.
-SamS

Last edited:

Genghis Kush

thanks Sam.

the paper is behind a paywall, but here is a copy of the abstract:

"Abstract

Objective

The Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid synthase (THCAS) from Cannabis sativa was expressed intracellularly in different organisms to investigate the potential of a biotechnological production of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) using whole cells.

Results

Functional expression of THCAS was obtained in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Pichia (Komagataella) pastoris using a signal peptide from the vacuolar protease, proteinase A. No functional expression was achieved in Escherichia coli. The highest volumetric activities obtained were 98 pkat ml−1 (intracellular) and 44 pkat ml−1 (extracellular) after 192 h of cultivation at 15 °C using P. pastoris cells. Low solubility of CBGA prevents the THCAS application in aqueous cell-free systems, thus whole cells were used for a bioconversion of cannabigerolic acid (CBGA) to THCA. Finally, 1 mM (0.36 g THCA l−1) THCA could be produced by 10.5 gCDW l−1 before enzyme activity was lost.

Conclusion

Whole cells of P. pastoris offer the capability of synthesizing pharmaceutical THCA production."

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting...

Using all the compounds in marijuana simultaneously is like "throwing 400 tablets in a cocktail and saying 'take this,'" Hurd says.
Isn't this exactly what pharmacists do when they give a person scripts to counteract the side effects of scripts?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wonder how the compounds coming from genetically modified yeast will compare to the naturally produced plant compounds?

Bet they'll go the way of Sativex...
Not that great... When compared to whole plant resin extractions.