What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Teen marijuana use likely not linked to later health issues: Study

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chronic marijuana use among teenage boys does not appear to lead to later physical or mental health issues — like depression or psychotic symptoms — despite previous research to the contrary, according to a new study.

Researchers at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and Rutgers University tracked the progress of 408 males from adolescence into their mid-30s with varying patterns of pot use.
“Overall, data from this sample provide little to no evidence to suggest that patterns of marijuana use from adolescence to young adulthood, for the Black and White young men in the present study, were negatively related to the indicators of physical or mental health studied here,” the psychologists wrote.
The American Psychological Association, the country’s largest organization of psychologists, published the findings Monday in the peer-reviewed quarterly Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
Based on previous research, lead researcher Jordan Bechtold, a psychology research fellow at the University of Pittsburgh, expected to detect some link between teen marijuana use and the onset of delusions, hallucinations, cancer or respiratory ailments later in life.
“What we found was a little surprising,” Bechtold said in a release. “There were no differences in any of the mental or physical health outcomes that we measured regardless of the amount or frequency of marijuana used during adolescence.”
View gallery

Marijuana plants grow near a road in the Rif region, near Chefchaouen in this August 11, 2008 file p …

Over the past decade, U.S. attitudes and policies toward marijuana have become increasingly liberal. Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Alaska and Washington, D.C., have already legalized the drug for recreational use, and more states are likely to follow.
Given this climate, Bechtold says it is important to empirically evaluate the long-term effects of the plant.
Greg Skipper, director at Promises Behavioral Health, an alcohol and drug addiction treatment center, said the problem with previous studies is that they provided correlation rather than causation data.
“It’s hard to get causation data. Does marijuana cause it, or is there another variable that’s sort of linked?” he said in an interview with Yahoo News.
Skipper, a fellow on the American Board of Addiction Medicine, commended the authors of this new study for controlling for variables, like cigarette smoking, to give us a more accurate idea of how marijuana might affect someone over the long term.
View gallery

Two people share a cannabis joint (AFP Photo/Fred Dufour)

“They’re not proving here that marijuana doesn’t have problems, but it may not cause physical illness,” he said. “This is good data. It leads us to thinking that it’s benign in some ways but not other ways.”
Skipper noted that marijuana can cause memory problems and be addictive to some people.
The research team says that the effects on health are just “one piece of the legalization puzzle” and warns against relying upon one study in isolation for this “very complicated issue.”
“This does not discredit the work of others,” the study reads. “It could be the case that cumulative tetrahydrocannabinol exposure, age of initiation of use or use at one particular age is more predictive of negative health outcomes than the overall pattern of use between adolescence and adulthood.”
Mason Tvert, director of communications at the Marijuana Policy Project, which works to end pot prohibition, says the study comes as good news for people on both sides of the marijuana legalization debate.
“Hopefully it will inspire parents, educators and government officials to have a more honest conversation with teens about marijuana,” he said to Yahoo News via email. “Decades of scare tactics and exaggerations about the potential harms of marijuana have failed to prevent many young people from trying it.”
Tvert said it is time for everyone to acknowledge that marijuana is not as harmful as alcohol
http://news.yahoo.com/teen-marijuan...-to-later-health-issues--study-181553062.html

Sforza

Veteran
“What we found was a little surprising,” Bechtold said in a release. “There were no differences in any of the mental or physical health outcomes that we measured regardless of the amount or frequency of marijuana used during adolescence.”

The old boy sounds disappointed. They were hoping to show that smoking weed as a teen would lead to higher levels of schizophrenia. That why the study was done and why the money was spent. But as already knew, smoking ganja does not cause a person to be crazy. Even if they had shown higher levels of schizophrenia in heavy smokers, correlation is not causation. Smoking ganja does not make a person crazy, but perhaps a person who has a tendency to be wild and crazy is more like to ignore rules and smoke an illegal substance.

I was with some coworkers at a conference a while back and the topic of legal ganja in Washington state came up. Everyone was saying what a big risk it was to the young people and I said that I would rather have a child of mine smoke pot than do alcohol One guy objected and said that the pot today is much stronger than what was available back when we were in college. I said BS, there was hash and Thai stick back when we were in college, besides it is like whiskey, wine, and beer. You can get a buzz from all of them and you just do a smaller amount of the more powerful version or a larger amount of the weaker version. Then the same guy said that there were studies that showed that teens who smoked were more likely to have mental problems. I said that I doubted that very much because plenty of people who smoked did not have any mental problems and plenty of people who never smoked had mental issues. According to this study, it looks like I was correct.

dddaver

Veteran
All along I knew that previous "study" the media hyped about adolescent use of weed causing later psychosis did not say that, and was not even a scientific study anyway. It was only data mining of psychotics health records that showed that some psychotics had used mj as adolescents. The conclusion was a only speculation that maybe mj played a factor. Causation was never shown.

But the media changed it slightly, to say the huge "study" did show causation, and then ran with it. And so the then the anti-mj nut-bags pointed to that and said, "See"! Yet it was wrong and hugely flawed. Very typical of this irresponsibility the press has shown over and over. And out and out lies purported as truth.

But this one was an actual study. Will everything be they lied about be retracted now? I doubt it. The bullshit is already out there.

waveguide

Veteran
eventually the sad sack of corroborated bullshit we consider our "culture" will extinguish -

- we don't have a culture, what we have is a commodity enforcement system -

and at that point, people will have a greater attention span able to authentically accomodate the facts of the events surrounding the establishment of "psychological conditions" (and their sociopolitically redactive application!)

like maybe if people would stop doing fuckng studies on everything trying to tell people the way it is and chill out it would make people more relaxed, less uptight, less asshole driven culture

because if you go through any old thread here, you'll find all kinds of "potheads" spurting out the same "oh i know several young guys who had adverse psychotic reactions to weed" and i bet you they are all members of a certain organisation of ballbagscum

waveguide

Veteran
wouldn't it be fun to dig up those threads and make a list of all the names

because they've been fucking us all along, "Brothers"

Skip

Veteran
because if you go through any old thread here, you'll find all kinds of "potheads" spurting out the same "oh i know several young guys who had adverse psychotic reactions to weed" and i bet you they are all members of a certain organisation of ballbagscum
I don't agree with that. I've seen people have very negative psychological reactions to pot. These are usually people who don't smoke, have never liked it, and prefer other drugs instead.

Pot is not for everyone! And yes, there are people who have psychological issues who actually find a lot of relief using pot. So those people have always skewed these kinds of studies.

Just think of those suffering from PTSD. They have psychological problems that are often relieved by smoking pot - thanks to its ability to short circuit short term memory - thus preventing flashbacks and depression from taking over.

I think if they did a study of any prescription psychoactive drug and those who use it, they'll find nearly ALL of them have psychological problems!!! Duh, that's why they got a script, just like medical marijuana users do... So what's the big deal? I don't see them accusing those drugs of causing their psychological problems, but many of those same prescription drugs DO CAUSE addiction, unlike marijuana.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- we don't have a culture, what we have is a commodity enforcement system -
[/FONT]
That is a brilliant observation (if you mean what I think you mean)! :)

waveguide

Veteran
i think it's completely unrealistic for an irrational society to issue judgement

...i could say "..on a rational plant" but it's not really necessary to be more precise..

it's quibbling about semantics really, not an adverse reaction to the plant, it's an adverse reaction to preexisting preconceptions that the actual plant itself is not responsible for.

the same way some people are frightened by spiders.. blaming a case of hysteria on the spider isn't accurate, but the way people speak english seems to attribute the reaction to the stimulus because the conventional phrasing doesn't discretise between attribution and association.

understandably, this is probably usually a way of ameliorating responsibility of the "victim" for their reaction to diffuse their hysteria.. a screaming woman on a chair wants the spider gone, not to hear that it's their responsibility for their reaction.

if weed hadn't been illegal for the last 70 odd years, i doubt it would be "so reprehensible". i think it would be fair before placing blame, to conduct another study where weed is legal and politics, television, radio, and being an asshole is illegal for seventy years, then we can contrast to see what it is people are having such negative reactions to.

A

algae1011

Sure, for some people cannabis is the straw that broke their mental sanity..but don't forget about all of the other straws they were carrying before! Blaming any one thing is usually pro.pagan.duh.

We're all mad here, a notable study is difficult to find, & the labels outlined in the DSM are just as harmful as they are helpful.

Thanks for posting! I trained in college to be a Music Therapist & find this stuff fascinating :xmasnut:

waveguide

Veteran
..on second thoughts,

i'll cede that rhetoric based on the criteria that all of society is irrational.. rarely has any practical application :D

i'm not sure "commodity enforcement" even makes "any proper sense.." .... but i felt it was a way to call it.. i'm sure it means something real and similar to many people...

PrimeTime704

I really hoped that by now people would stop using the lame gateway drug excuse when it comes to marijuana or the smoke can kill you, as if cigarettes haven't been out here killing people on a consistent and surprisingly legal bases. Everyone should watch this video on on StonedTube.com about how even after legalization teenage usage has dropped! http://www.stonedtube.com/after-legalization-teen-p/