What's new

Surgery and THC?

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Are you familiar with an area called Puslinch Township

Yes, I have driven through it a thousand times. :rasta: We got our dog from a breeder just south of Puslinch on Hwy 6 and Hwy 401 (the major east-west highway of Ontario) runs right through the township.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I’ve had so many procedures and surgeries done. It looks like I fell on a hand grenade. It hasn’t ever changed my smoking habits but obviously I don’t smoke the morning of the procedure. it hasn’t ever seem to make a difference so I continue.

oldmaninbc

Yes, I have driven through it a thousand times. :rasta: We got our dog from a breeder just south of Puslinch on Hwy 6 and Hwy 401 (the major east-west highway of Ontario) runs right through the township.
I believe it was that Hwy 401 that went right through the middle of grandfathers farm, he had to sell. We were all disappointed, hard to argue with the government.
I hesitate to ask on a sensitive subject, how is your wife?
I can't imagine what Puslinch would look like these days, the last time I was back to Guelph was probably in the 90s when I brought my son back to meet his grandparents.
It's time to make a chicken sandwich and a Caeser salad for supper.

oldmaninbc

I’ve had so many procedures and surgeries done. It looks like I fell on a hand grenade. It hasn’t ever changed my smoking habits but obviously I don’t smoke the morning of the procedure. it hasn’t ever seem to make a difference so I continue.
I won't be eating any cookie the day of surgery but after, you bet. I find the older I get the more sensitive I am to drugs, so I will see how it all effects me. I have only had 3 surgeries and one coming up. I have more scars from knife cuts, broken glasses(washing dishes), cut my knee good with my axe while climbing over a tree ,that sort of thing. I have had a number of procedures especially around the asbestosis.
What would life be without a few scars!

CharlesU Farley

The nurse was adamant, no cannabis use on the day of surgery or it would be cancelled. As far as I can tell I only get to speak to the surgeon and he relates any information to the surgical team. It's too late to keep my cannabis use to myself, 3 different family doctors/Health Canada have signed my access to
I'm totally and completely ignorant about Canada's requirements for pre-op screening, especially for cannabis. But if I was faced with that here in the US, I would just lie to them and say.... "I've been so freaked out, I just dropped it, I quit using it (and reference speaking with that authority figure / nurse).

Remember with heavy users, you'll test positive for THC for at least a month, and I think I would have test positive 2 months later. o_O There is absolutely no way they can tell when and/or how much you used cannabis, unless you tell them.

Whatever authority figure or nurse who is telling you that your surgery will be canceled if you use cannabis, just lie to them.

In an American hospital, the person who is going to put you under anesthesia a couple hours before your surgery, usually a CRNA, will come in, start an IV, explain what they're going to do, and give you some pre-op sedation. All you have to tell them is "I have been a heavy cannabis user with medical approval, and I quit when they told me to, and I heard I may need a little more anesthesia?"

See what they say, read their face, and go from there.

Most medical people, at least those I've worked with here in the US, don't give a shit about drug use, they just care about getting you better and getting you home.

You occasionally run into an old battle axe, a Nurse Ratchet type from Ken Kesey's brilliant One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, as long as they think they're in charge, all is well, so lie to 'em if you have to.

You would be absolutely astounded by the amount and level of drug use among medical professionals, _after_ they get off duty. Alcohol and cannabis ain't the half of it.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I hesitate to ask on a sensitive subject, how is your wife?
I can't imagine what Puslinch would look like these days,

She is doing well – thanks for asking. I took away her hydromorphone yesterday :oops: as I wean her off of the HD painkillers. The follow-up starts next week but it looks like they want to be safe not sorry and they want to smack the area with radiation - even though the periphery of the removed area was cancer free. Another hospital . . . :rolleyes:

And I don't recognize that area when I drive through now and I drove Ontario as a sales rep for 20 years. Btw Justin Beiber's Lake Estate is on Concession 1 - Puslinch Lake . . .

oldmaninbc

She is doing well – thanks for asking. I took away her hydromorphone yesterday :oops: as I wean her off of the HD painkillers. The follow-up starts next week but it looks like they want to be safe not sorry and they want to smack the area with radiation - even though the periphery of the removed area was cancer free. Another hospital . . . :rolleyes:

And I don't recognize that area when I drive through now and I drove Ontario as a sales rep for 20 years. Btw Justin Beiber's Lake Estate is on Concession 1 - Puslinch Lake . . .
As difficult as it can be going through medical procedures, "safe not sorry" in my mind is always the best path forward. All I can do is hope the best for you both.
I can still see my spouse laying in the ICU ward having a machine breathe for her, I was shaken to the core. Here we are 5 years later still together, if she was to have a similar situation it would not end well this time. Twice she has fended off the worst outcome but the damage caused can not be reversed. One day at a time.

I looked up Justin Beiber's Puslinch Lake Estate, there was nothing like that when I lived in the area.

Gry

Veteran
I consume a lot of extract sublingually. Way more than what would be normal for most people.
Am accustomed to waking up in emergency surgery hearing them ask for another hundred units of fetty repeatedly. I perceive and understand what is taking place as I slip under again, but I feel no sense of distress or pain. We are more than fortunate to live in such times.
Have been using cannabis as my primary means of dealing with pain for a lot of years.

Less is more, best of wishes for positive results to all.

CharlesU Farley

I consume a lot of extract sublingually. Way more than what would be normal for most people.
Am accustomed to waking up in emergency surgery hearing them ask for another hundred units of fetty repeatedly. I perceive and understand what is taking place as I slip under again, but I feel no sense of distress or pain. We are more than fortunate to live in such times.
Have been using cannabis as my primary means of dealing with pain for a lot of years.

Less is more, best of wishes for positive results to all.
Outstanding and insightful post! Nothing whatsoever compared to what ya'll going through, but whenever I have dental surgery, extractions, etc. I double _my_ injestion rate the day before, which is already @ 28g's of decarbed buds every week, every month, evey year.

I don't get any more high than I ever do, which is minimal now anyway, and never tell the dentist, since it's not general anesthesia.

And I'm more relaxed in the chair.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I've been a life long daily user. As a ex health service professional, I have always been candid with my own care team about my use.

About 20 years ago I had a little brain surgery. The night before the op., a male nurse caught my skinning on up and rather than admonish me, he took me to a room where I could have a crafty smoke without anyone knowing. 🙂

The following morning I went down for me surgery. The surgery was a great success; however it took over 3 hours in recovery before they could get me stabilised and so I'm told, it was a little touch and go for awhile.

I guess I would advise against partaking for a could of days, if possible, before your surgery.

I hope all goes well.

oldmaninbc

The booking department at the hospital called and suggested that my hernia surgery would happen on the 26th of April. They will call me on the 25th between 3-6pm with the details. Saying that, they also say there could be the possibility of it being cancelled on the day of surgery if they have some kind of emergency. I hope that does not happen, I am ready for this.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Piece of cake, bud. I have had 7 or 8 umbilical hernia surgeries. They finally got it right and put the mesh in. Been A-OK since then. Well, other than the fact that I now have an epigastric hernia. LOL

Pretty basic stuff and recovery is a cinch..... compared to the new knee replacement coming up.

I lost count but I have had about 15 surgeries. All minor stuff, mostly. You'll be fine. Waiting is the worst part.

Good luck.

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
My last surgery in 2016 I smoked weed inside the hospital. Not a big deal.

I have made three surgeries in my life, all of then due to broken bones. All of them smoking pot before and after the procedures.

The only time I felt strange was after a serious traffic accident when I broke my femur, kneecap, ankle and received more than 100 stitches throughout my body. I stayed in the hospital for 10 days then went to recover at my mother's house, asked my sister to get some weed that had stashed in the basement. When smoked, I felt all the fractures in my body, it wasn't pain, it was a strange sensation, as if I felt the space between the bones. When I woke up, it was gone. I didn't walk for 6 months and never felt that way again, smoking 2 to 3 times a day.

Really, it's weed. Living in a Christian and conservative country, I prefer not to say. Docs knows less than we think. They think they're Gods, but they aren't.

But if you take a pill of... ibuprofen or equivalent, you have to talk.

oldmaninbc

Piece of cake, bud. I have had 7 or 8 umbilical hernia surgeries. They finally got it right and put the mesh in. Been A-OK since then. Well, other than the fact that I now have an epigastric hernia. LOL

Pretty basic stuff and recovery is a cinch..... compared to the new knee replacement coming up.

I lost count but I have had about 15 surgeries. All minor stuff, mostly. You'll be fine. Waiting is the worst part.

Good luck.
I have 2 hernias one is umbilical and the other is Inguinal, from my understanding they will decide the course of action after they scope it. I have waited 2 years for this surgery; if it wasn't for the hernia belt my intestine would be hanging out and I would be in big trouble.
My wife's friend had her(hernia) intestine come out of the abdominal wall for 6 hours waiting at the hospital emergency. After a few hours the intestine goes chlorotic when outside the abdominal wall and dies; it then needs to be removed. A simple hernia repair becomes life threating.

I had knee surgery maybe 20+ years ago, it made a big difference.

Hope your knee replacement goes as expected.

Had my butt operated on and my scrotum, boy did I lose my modesty.

Thanks for the good luck!

Latest posts

Latest posts