What's new

Sunlight in white film greenhouse during flower

grolf

Hey!

Long time lurker, first time posting.

I grow outdoors. I had excellent yield and quality last year, though I had some trouble with botrytis on some colas (which I was able to remove and control successfully in general).

I have really good sun radiance in my latitude (mostly 12h daily), however, it gets quite wet and cold around here: heavy rains and hale storms are quite frequent (almost all year long). Because of this, I had to constantly cover and uncover my plant with a tarp last year. This was a drag, and also not so effective since I had some hale fall on the flowers on one occasion (generating botrytis).

This year my plant has grown much larger, so the process of covering and uncovering her with a tarp no longer seems like a good/easy thing to do. So this time around I decided to build a greenhouse with a white film covering it (it's 'greenhouse grade', which has a specification of UV-2 25% shade, 70% transmitance) now that it's flowering stage has started (it's entire vegetative growth was under direct sunlight, and I have decided to cover it with the green house now that it has started to flower.)

My question is: Will this negatively impact flower growth? I have been able to control the temperature inside (which is quite warmer than the cold weather outside)
The day I built the green house a storm came in, so I'm convinced it has to stay. However, uncovering and covering with the plastic seems like it could be quite difficult given the size.
I guess my second question is: Will I have to add artificial lighting to compensate? or is it not a big deal now that it's in flowering stage?

wh.png

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

*I'll post this in the Outdoor growing forum as well, as I think some people over there could relate to this circumstance.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
WOW beautiful plant. UV-2 25% shade, 70% transmittance, that means a 25% deficient in the light spectrum. If your plants get full Sun all day you'll be ok. Covering your plant completely to avoid mold, may not be in the best interest of the plant, when it comes to mold. I don't know what your growing conditions are, as long as you can get good air exchange and watch the condensation, you may make it. If you use mold resistant seed strains you can keep mold down to zero. If you match the seed with the environment, "extremes in humidity" are a plus. 😎

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Definitely need ventilation.

The flowers will be a bit more stretched, not as dense. Without some sort of UV lighting, I've lately been hearing you'll have a bit lower health and less pest resistance.

Turns out the best pest repellant is a super healthy plant.

CrushnYuba

I think 70% is very opaaque. Usually films let in about 90%. I think 70 is a problem. I live in one of the sunniest parts of America and here the sun is so bright mid summer, a light shade cloth makes mid summer light depps better quality. The shade i use let's in about the same as your plastic. I have left it on in the fall and spring just to see what happens and growth slows down to a crawl. Its very sunny here. Like the closest major city is is the second sunniest city in the usa. If you are worried about jail, i imagine it's not sunny there.

I have seen alot of people get opaaque plastic from a Hardware store to do a quick temporary hoop. They always complain that plants barely grow.

I thought the same thing a few years ago. Had outdoor plant that were getting soaked and even snowed on in flower. I built a 100sf house for about 85 dollars, and film cost around 100. Went with white for security, and privacy peice of mind. Noticed the lesser light intensity inside, and wondered, but all came out far beyond my expectations. Harvested 8 lbs from 4 plants in scrog, with a 4 month veg. I will never go back. At least in my current area.
IMG_20210719_171913019_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210719_171916611_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210719_171916611_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 39
Hey!

Long time lurker, first time posting.

I grow outdoors. I had excellent yield and quality last year, though I had some trouble with botrytis on some colas (which I was able to remove and control successfully in general).

I have really good sun radiance in my latitude (mostly 12h daily), however, it gets quite wet and cold around here: heavy rains and hale storms are quite frequent (almost all year long). Because of this, I had to constantly cover and uncover my plant with a tarp last year. This was a drag, and also not so effective since I had some hale fall on the flowers on one occasion (generating botrytis).

This year my plant has grown much larger, so the process of covering and uncovering her with a tarp no longer seems like a good/easy thing to do. So this time around I decided to build a greenhouse with a white film covering it (it's 'greenhouse grade', which has a specification of UV-2 25% shade, 70% transmitance) now that it's flowering stage has started (it's entire vegetative growth was under direct sunlight, and I have decided to cover it with the green house now that it has started to flower.)

My question is: Will this negatively impact flower growth? I have been able to control the temperature inside (which is quite warmer than the cold weather outside)
The day I built the green house a storm came in, so I'm convinced it has to stay. However, uncovering and covering with the plastic seems like it could be quite difficult given the size.
I guess my second question is: Will I have to add artificial lighting to compensate? or is it not a big deal now that it's in flowering stage?

View attachment 17909755

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

*I'll post this in the Outdoor growing forum as well, as I think some people over there could relate to this circumstance.
I have a 6x6 greenhouse. I grow hopps vine over it and it keeps it cool . I had to add lighting to lengthen days to 18 hours. I only grow auto's in it and get 5 full grows of 14 plants .per grow.i. 3 gallon tallfabric pots .I got 900 watts all the way up and move the little plant up on tables so they r closer to light .600 watts wasn't enough , too much stretch a d little limbs.

Latest posts

Latest posts