What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

South Florida Man Charged With Growing Marijuana, Found Not Guilty

toasted1

A Good day for Florida :woohoo:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...ing-Marijuana-Found-Not-Guilty-294721291.html

A South Florida man charged with growing marijuana he claims he needs for a medical condition was found not guilty Monday.

Jesse Teplicki, 50, had been charged with manufacturing cannabis and was facing up to five years behind bars.

"This case is about medical marijuana and for the hundreds of thousands of patients who can use this medicine as an alternative," Teplicki said.

It took jurors just 30 minutes to return the verdict.

"A lot of suffering. I really felt here was somebody with a lot of issues, with a lot of suffering since he was nine years old," juror Mark Munzer said. "Everything was justified."

Teplicki suffers from a severe case of anorexia which suppresses his appetite and makes him nauseous. Broward Sheriff's Office deputies arrested him last year for the cultivation and possession of 46 marijuana plants.

Prosecutors had called into question the amount of pot plants for just one person, but jurors said it was a case about compassion.

"This was a groundbreaking case and we are very pleased that the jury acquitted Mr. Teplicki on all charges," said Michael Minardi, Teplicki's attorney. "The evidence showed he was using cannabis to help him manage a serious and painful medical condition which he has endured for years."

Teplicki is the first person in Florida to have a jury of his peers decide if he’s guilty or not of using marijuana as a medicine.

"I hope this invigorates the State of Florida and all people who are being charged with cannabis to fight," Teplicki said. "That's the only way you make change."

Teplicki said he will resume life as he knows it.

"I go home this evening, I have a meal with my wife and smoke a fat one before it and that's it," he said.

stay safe
:smokey:

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Jurors with common sense. Imagine that!! Bet they severely pissed off the prosecutor and leo in the area.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
i wonder how much money Mr. Teplicki had to spend on lawyers

glad it worked out for him but having to spend every dime you have to prove you're right just seems so wrong.

maybe the DA should pay all the legal fees when the jury decides against them. i'll bet that would stop them from fucking with people just because they can really fast

Betterhaff

Veteran
maybe the DA should pay all the legal fees when the jury decides against them. i'll bet that would stop them from fucking with people just because they can really fast
I like that idea. Another common tactic used by prosecutors…if you (defendant) take it trial and lose the judge will be harsher with his/her sentence.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Horray for Florida jurors!

i wonder how much money Mr. Teplicki had to spend on lawyers

glad it worked out for him but having to spend every dime you have to prove you're right just seems so wrong.

If a State takes somebody to court and that particular individual is acquitted for the case, that individual has the right to sue the department that took them to court to recoup the expenses incurred during the time of the trial.

It is no dufferent than anybody else taking anybody else to court.
Either the guilty party or the accusing party will be responsible for 100% of any lawyers fees, court fees, etc.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
Horray for Florida jurors!

If a State takes somebody to court and that particular individual is acquitted for the case, that individual has the right to sue the department that took them to court to recoup the expenses incurred during the time of the trial.

It is no dufferent than anybody else taking anybody else to court.
Either the guilty party or the accusing party will be responsible for 100% of any lawyers fees, court fees, etc.

if that is the case it sounds like a pretty sane policy, but i wonder how well it works if it works at all.

how easy is it to sue the state of florida in a florida court? do you need a lawyer to do this? is it a trial or you just walk in with the verdict from the last trial and they cut you a check? is it a jury trial?

we read about people like OJ and casey anthony that got off in some very public trials but we always read about how broke they are afterword because of the legal fees. are they really asshole deep in bills or is that just more media bullshit too? some of the lawyers in the big cases are such media hounds that you would expect them to be talking shit to the cameras about the pending lawsuit in the same breath that they are gloating about the lawsuit they just won, but i don't recall seeing it.

why not?

is there a source out there somewhere that actually breaks down the numbers of how many people have taken the DA to court for damages and won? or how many years the DA can drag their feet before they have to appear in court or pay the people they screwed?

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
^^^^ i heard about that one

zimmerman might get off on the court costs, and good for him i guess, but his lawyers bills aren't getting paid ........... and we all know the lawyer was/is keeping track of his hours while he's on the job

"innocence" is some pricey stuff on a normal day. once the media virus shows up the dollar signs breed like bacteria

Betterhaff

Veteran
Kind of vicious cycle. Most everybody in the justice system are lawyers. Defense attorneys, DA’s or prosecutors, judges…

Nice little system to keep everybody in it working. Trumped charges are the worst other than being charged for something that should not be a crime in the first place.