What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Some Sort Of Constant Dripping System???

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
Hey i was brainstorming ideas in my head...lol where else right...is there a technique already where you constantly water like a recirculating drip system? where it's pressure regulated to the point that it's like a leaky faucet with a constant weak stream going to the plants where they could stay wetted but not waterlogged. ???

this would be with a soil/soiless media. like growing in a soggy marsh with drainage. but not flood and drain, but constant recirculating the water/nutes so that we aren't wasting it. recirculating drip? like one of those tabletop fountains. water goes in the top, drains to bottom and goes back around again.

Wicks

Wick_system.jpg

Sforza

Veteran
Blumats

tropf-blumat-bild-2.jpg

Blumat%20dry%20-%20wet.jpg

Better than constant dripping, they drip only when the soil is dry and stop when the soil is wet.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
The wick thing is cool but the blumats picture is closer to what i had in mind but not only when the soil is dry but constantly set to keep em dripping water out. Got the idea when i left some BRumats (bootleg blumats) to watch my garden for a week or two and came home to find all kinds of uneven watering ranging from almost bone dry to soggy, and the best looking plant in there was the one that was constantly soggy the whole time.

Couldn't you just use those 3 gallon per hour drippers for the micro tubing at home depot? They regulate the flow as long as there's nothing to clog them. I'd try to elevate my reservoir to the point where they drip. Use barbed connectors to connect the micro tubes to a hose. Cheap

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Couldn't you just use those 3 gallon per hour drippers for the micro tubing at home depot? They regulate the flow as long as there's nothing to clog them. I'd try to elevate my reservoir to the point where they drip. Use barbed connectors to connect the micro tubes to a hose. Cheap

^^

Google pressure compensating drippers.

A penny or 2 if purchased from China, and they come in 1,2,4 liters per hour..

http://www.irrigationdirect.ca/Pressure-Compensating-Emitters/.

Genes

I would go with blumats if doing smaller plant counts in large pots, and would go with what Chimera is suggesting if doing anything on a budget, or large plant counts with a mixture of pot sizes and especially if using small ones.

Chimera, how do you like to set up the pressure compensating drippers? Off a deadened tube into the middle of the grow, or in rows for bigger gardens - have you tried with closed loop manifold as well? Been playing with a few things, and the pressure compensating drippers look very cost effective in parts and labor once you have dialed things in. Curious if you have tried blumats as well :) Hope all is well!