Sidelighting Interlighting Intercanopy Lightcicles

Ca++

Got bored.
Hacked it off.
qbupbranch.jpg

61g of branch that should of been a total loss
30g of wet stuff. Much of which wasn't worth trimming
wetdish.jpg

The yellow knife is an internationally recognised measuring system. I think.
Here's the peak time shot
bud.jpg

Imagine my grow is rows of three. This was from plant two. I was bending it in front of plant three for pics. Plant 3 is sparse, but the most pictured, as the flaps open there. 24/7 letting air in. It's 19c and dry here. The following pic is between plant 1&2, taken near the light, looking at the bottom of the canopy, towards plant 4. Who is in view.
1and2toward4.jpg

It's better weather here.
Sugar leaf everywhere. The eighth above, isn't alone.

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
The buddies are a pretty poor 'string light' but we can get better and cheaper ones.
I'm pretty sure https://www.superlightingled.com have them. The American looking site, that's actually in China.
LED-Module-String-Lights.jpg

I'm really not fond of this close placement stuff. Our plants grow fast, and would be all over them. My canopy just wouldn't let the light through from the sides. I have only been happy with lighting from below. Which offer a canopy like the one seen from above. With the same need to keep a bit of distance away, to get the light spread.

In a 1.2 I would really like 4 bars. One for each 30cm of canopy, sited 30cm below it. It's about right for beam angle. While making sure nothing touches it. Can you imagine the ppfd at a contact point. It just doesn't seem healthy.
Buddies are not the same as these lights. They use the same housing but they have a different diffuser system and the diodes in them are far better than anything you will find in these generic advertising string lights.

I've posted this in another thread with the disclaimer that I'm affiliated with the company, but here are the test reports for the four types of Buddies. These are the diodes not inside the housing.

660nm deep red
Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 4.56.51 pm.png

730nm far red
Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 4.57.17 pm.png

PC Red bread-spectrum red (test conducted at 2x normal current, hence lower umol/j reading
PCRed2.jpg

4000K CRI95 White. Edit, found the test report that includes the diffuser lenses.
BuddieSpectrum.jpg

Last edited:

Ca++

Perhaps they are not publishing the figures with these lights, because they are nonsense?

I got my bit weighed, it was 5.6g of low grade
dry5-6.jpg
Thumbnail image, so it looks like something.

There is quite a bit of this nothing to be found
20231230_202446.jpg

Just a few days down to 90ppm N, and all that happened. It's the amber tone of Mg, and some Mg stripes mixed in. Mg was always sufficient not luxury, but don't show until the N was dropped.
I digress.

I don't know how much is down there, but if it's 5 branches to an ounce, each plant has a bit, and it's 4 per meter. A welcome weight gain per area, if you could sell it.

What's needed, is no bottoms. No floor lighting for a couple of weeks. Establish the leads through the net. Then bring in this extra energy, for the lower parts of the main heads. You would need to know my crop, to appreciate the difference. We can all see something from nothing though.

Steakhouse didn't publish the figures of their trail. Nor the lighting provider. They are keeping the promised results to themselves. We will have to make do with my shit-show.

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
I decided to dummy something up. These strips will stay for the remainder of this grow (coming up to finishing 5 weeks of flower) but I'll make them more permanent for the next grow.

The idea is to mount two 480mm LED strips to a piece of 1m aluminium strip and then cable tie each end of the ally strip to the tent poles, allowing them to be moved up and down while staying fixed in place.

The bits of string with cable ties on the end do the same for now. The tent walls keep the strips orientated in the right position.

Started off with 45W total and will increase that to about 90W total in the next day or two once the undercanopy has acclimatised.

This is not a yield grow – I have four different varieties in there – but rather to make life easier when it comes to trimming the lower canopy.
IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

Ca++

Ive gotta get in on this inter-canopy lighting. It looks promising!
Just support what you have, from about 14-21 days.
I started early, and grew superfluous green in empty space. Just to show concept.
What you really want to do, we wouldn't see easily in pics. That's better development lower down on the main heads, with less reliance on defoliation to achieve that goal. These retained leaves are then put to use. I know you would get a feel for this.
We only want 100-200umol down there I think. We are playing with the apical dominance mechanism it seems. Getting a more uniform distribution across the plant. You may of clicked my thumbnail, and noted the resin production is quite high for a piece of nothing. Tests back up a more uniform spread, but not at the expense of the tops. In fact, the tops improve due to them not carrying the bottoms so much. While the bottoms try to match the tops.

Prawn is doing it right, but only he will see the difference. Even then, it might only be after it's in bags. Unless you have a very keen eye.

Ca++

Far too much trimming..

About 1:30 in the blue bucket, is the chopped off 5.6g I was following.
On the bit of wood at the front, lays it's neighbour. It laid where it's actually pointing to. The bit of blue wire holding it up.
The central plant is what I kept looking through. We see it here at bottom net. There is about 22-25cm between the nets. The worst bits lived just above bottom net, where there was no uplight. Stuff I chucked.
bottomnet.jpg

Keep in mind I had 120w per meter down here at peak. Some 25% of what you might use above, when it was on.
I stripped this plants bottoms, and the two to the left, which were similar sized
bottomstray.jpg

Yeah...
Not yeah!
More... yeah. Alright then. But It's something for nothing, and there was more between the nets where the plants were first spread. Lots more. But no better.

This is the very very bottoms of the left plant. Some red colour coming though on all the plants, which I have not had before. Only where it was intense though
lowestred.jpg

It's not a lot to look at, but these wouldn't of been anything more than a group of hairs.

This shows the stratospheric distribution. Where I basically lost it between the nets. Growing bits in that dark area, that needed support from the tops and bottoms.

I did say at the start, I was about to grow a load of bottoms that were in the way. Had I not allowed anything below the net, the light could of got between the nets where I actually want to develop the upper buds. Helping stuff I actually grew from switch. Not after 10? days, where I had bare plants at that time.

ICmag leading the way.

Ca++

No9
This strain is going. Hard to keep happy, and now making bananas. It never really recovered from the stall I had around 3 weeks.

This is pretty much the back half of a plant. A cross section, showing nothing was chucked away, with this strain. It's a needed pic, as seeing the top and bottom, offers something to reflect upon.
Like.. how bad this grow actually was. I might have to diary up, as I have let the team down.

halfPlant.jpg

CharlesU Farley

No9
This strain is going. Hard to keep happy, and now making bananas. It never really recovered from the stall I had around 3 weeks.

This is pretty much the back half of a plant. A cross section, showing nothing was chucked away, with this strain. It's a needed pic, as seeing the top and bottom, offers something to reflect upon.
Like.. how bad this grow actually was. I might have to diary up, as I have let the team down.

View attachment 18945116
Respect for posting your failures! I started a thread in another forum called Show Your Failures and almost nobody took part. I posted this on my website a month or two ago... "Show me a grower who has never had a bad harvest and I’ll show you a grower who has never accomplished anything extraordinary."

Haven't looked at much of this threat at all but in case it hasn't been posted before, here's an article you may be interested in:

Intercanopy Lighting

Ca++

Where was your feed here? Did you run hot?
It's more a dry back issue increasing EC. This one loves to drink. It doesn't seem to slow down as the water gets low, and destroys it's roots.
They all got choked about week 3, as I couldn't get them fed often enough. I dropped the EC to account for deeper dry-backs, and away they went again. This strain at that time showed a Ca problem, as it's always getting dry. Maybe 3 weeks back, I dropped the EC again, to the bottles recommended max. Within a few days, most plants were dropped leaves through a lack on N, but this one was really not getting it's water. I held the signs at bay with K, but a week back, I turned off most of the lights, lowered the EC once again to bottle, and allowed it to happen. Notice it's neighbour, a different strain, looking somewhat different. You can't please them all I guess.

I know I'm being slack. I found this feed in an old box, which was nice, because I was using Miracle-gro last run. I have been off and got some coco, as I have room in the pots for double, but just didn't have the coco to hand. I'm watering by hand, and sometimes I'm hours late. Though I should be automated. I can check my tank on my phone, except it's all online, but I have no tank. So I check the airs Temp and EC from anywhere globally. I even have two choices of automated dosing. However, I have more green than I need, so making more effort, just isn't pressing.

This disaster plant was 800g wet. It might follow that it does 22oz per meter. Which is the breeders upper target. The main head was in the half chopped out. There is a knuckle visible, where the center of the plant was removed. Which had been laid towards us.

I do need help, but it's probably not the brand you are offering :)

Ca++

Respect for posting your failures! I started a thread in another forum called Show Your Failures and almost nobody took part. I posted this on my website a month or two ago... "Show me a grower who has never had a bad harvest and I’ll show you a grower who has never accomplished anything extraordinary."

Haven't looked at much of this threat at all but in case it hasn't been posted before, here's an article you may be interested in:

Intercanopy Lighting
I hope you see that fried plant, and picture what 'you' could do in that space. That is my only goal.

The south lighting quote was like sitting a gullibility test. I couldn't bring myself to look right away. Another link to kit is great for the thread though. We need lots more options, to enable people. The threads view to post ratio, suggests it's a foreign language right now. But the pictures are nice.

CharlesU Farley

I hope you see that fried plant, and picture what 'you' could do in that space. That is my only goal.

The south lighting quote was like sitting a gullibility test. I couldn't bring myself to look right away. Another link to kit is great for the thread though. We need lots more options, to enable people. The threads view to post ratio, suggests it's a foreign language right now. But the pictures are nice.
As I said, didn't dive into the thread or the article, but I remembered your passion for sidelighting. Even though I rarely agree with your opinions, I respect your passion and willingness to experiment.

Wait till you see some of my failures. o_O

Latest posts

Latest posts