What's new

Should I Just Trust My Builder/HVAC Guys, Or Do You Have Any Recommendations For Best Building Materials/HVAC For Cannabis Growing?

MajorGrindage

I am currently having the builder that i used to help build my house, remodel a 30x40 pole barn on my property to be completely insulated and built into a grow, and have my HVAC guys that i always use doing the HVAC on the barn.

The structure of the 30x40 pole barn is there and its great, but it needs a lot of work to be ready for a grow.

They are great workers, but have never worked on a grow, so im curious about a couple of things. I want to make sure i steer them in the right direction since they have never built a grow before.

QUESTIONS:

1:
Since the builders have never worked on building a grow before, are there any materials i should recommend to them that would be best, or any other tips to give them? (For example is drywall and regular insulation best, or is there something else i should recommend?). The barn will eventually be seperated into different rooms/zones.

2. The HVAC company i use mentioned using a split system to heat/cool several zones/rooms in the barn. One issue that we thought of with this is if 1 zone went out, they all would. Is there something else you'd recommend? Would each room need its own AC unit/Heater, or would a split system be fine?

3: Or since they are both great construction company/HVAC company's, should i just trust them to do their thing regarding insulation and HVAC? Could i design the grow, give them the blueprints, and allow them to build it in whatever way/ with which whatever materials they see best? I just want to make sure it is insulated, and climate controlled, in a way that is most beneficial to cannabis growing.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
First and foremost, drywall is your enemy when it comes to having a moist area you’re growing in. I would use some sort of laminate on the wall that is impervious to mold and mildew. Secondly, if your builder has not build a grow before you really need to be involved and steering his ideas. Mini splits are great systems but you’re going to have a nightmare cleaning off the pollen and dirt because they don’t have filters in front of the coil. I’ve gone through a half a dozen mini splits in my years growing and I won’t use them anymore because of their ability to get clogged up. Your builder needs to be aware that your facility needs to be as airtight as possible to eliminate any intrusion from unwanted pests or pathogens… spend as much time as you can thinking about what you’re going to be building before you start doing it because mistakes can get very expensive… good luck in your endeavors

Rocket Soul

Op, are you going to grow with leds or HID? With leds the temperature problem is keeping the plants hot enough, not the other way, 81-84F recommended for flower. One way of preserving heat or just evening out climate in your growspaces is to have several growspaces, on flipflop so one is on while another one is off, and then to circulate the air between the spaces. That way youll end up spending less power on climate and can spend more on light.

Energymble

When it comes to building materials and HVAC systems for cannabis growing, trusting your builder and HVAC professionals is important, but it's also wise to do your own research. Look for materials that are durable, non-toxic, and resistant to mold and pests. For HVAC, consider systems that provide proper ventilation, www.rowlen.co.uk humidity control, and air filtration. It's also helpful to seek recommendations from other growers or online forums for specific brands or products that have worked well for them. Ultimately, the best choice will depend on your specific setup and needs.

Last edited: