What's new

Seed husk stuck on seedling? Very old seed

alvin88

So I was gifted 12 seeds that were approximately 20yo. I pre-cracked 2 of them and placed all 12 in a paper towel. The next morning the 2 were already showing tails, and none of the rest were. So I pre-cracked all the rest of them, and got 9 out of 12 to sprout. I was very happy with the results thinking I'd be lucky ro get 1.

However 4 of the seedlings after breaking surface of the soil, were unable to shed their husk/shell. I tried manually removing one but broke the seedling, so I let the other 3 go but they were unable to shed the shell and ended rotting right there 😭😭😭

Any methods or tricks for helping old seeds power through the shell and start growing cotyledons? Also I just gave them ph'd tap. Was thinking I should have used mycos or something to help give them a boost.

Last edited:

Kid Twist

you canscuff the seams of the seeds before planting that way they are not so "glued" shut and it helps them pop open a bit easier. alot of times you may need to pry the shell open just a little

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
After I broke off the head of a seedling, I started using the back part of the spoon in back of the seedling and a needle to pick off the husk.

Is there a commercial seed cracker?

acespicoli

If your seed opens after 24 hours
and stalls for three days
remove shell and pull the placenta off your embryo
Or it will most likely rot...

Some strains stall and thats the only way to get closer to 100% success

FletchF.Fletch

420club
When they sprout wearing the shell like a helmet, you can use a spray bottle filled with water to remove them sometimes. Adjusting the nozzle to spray a stream/jet of water., and aiming at or from beneath the seed. Water will break them free usually as it is Nature's way. Tweezers, Exacto Blade also works.

Kimes

For old seeds europeans can get seed crackers easily from cannapot it think

otherwise a micrometer would do the trick but costs more..

For those stubborn husks that won't drop I have had great success with tweezers and cool nerves

Last edited:

goingrey

It happens quite often. Strain dependent too, not just seed age.

No tools are needed (except a finger and and an opposable thumb). Hold the stalk/cotyledons and gently pull it off. A squeeze of the husk can help.

A couple of plants I've killed being too heavy handed but usually it's fine. Even if there's some damage it's usually fine. Just a couple days ago I did this and accidentally ripped off half a cotyledon, still made it.

b.jpg

Kimes

It happens quite often. Strain dependent too, not just seed age.

No tools are needed (except a finger and and an opposable thumb). Hold the stalk/cotyledons and gently pull it off. A squeeze of the husk can help.

A couple of plants I've killed being too heavy handed but usually it's fine. Even if there's some damage it's usually fine. Just a couple days ago I did this and accidentally ripped off half a cotyledon, still made it.

View attachment 18987507
I've had my fair share of those and all survived, even when the other cotyledon was missing :LOL: