What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Seed Breeder Selection - Organic vs Synthetic Production -

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have read literature, and understand from those on these forums that seeds - regardless of plant - should ideally be produced via organic means; in an effort to distinguish which plants express the greatest will to reproduce, which will result in superior offspring.

So: For someone producing via water culture, should they purchase seeds of organic origin? Will this provide greater offspring? Or will plants produced via synthetic means provide greater returns due to X?

Thanks.

jayjayfrank

Veteran
what?

IME 'the greatest will to reproduce' is only observable under stress

a finicky princess is rarely worth the effort

so you want to know if you should buy some soma seeds for your undercurrent system- basically?

how do you produce a plant with synthetic means? you mean petro chemical ferts? if you think cal-nit makes for worse offspring probably stay away from deep chunk seeds...

i have read that some very high concentrations of certain fertilizers make the seed shell thicker than it would be otherwise and impede germination rates. other than that organic vs synthetic is preference(in so far as seeds are concerned).

taxing the plant in multiple environments IME shows a clearer picture of genetic hardiness

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chemical fertilizers. Salts commonly used in hydroponic applications. The plant is not in a relationship with inhabitants typically found in organic soil.

I know certain nutrients are of specific importance when breeding seed; one must pay more attention to the levels during seed maturity.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
What genetics are in the seeds is more important than how the seeds were fed IMO.

Given you are in water culture (I'm assuming not organic), there is no real benefit for you to source organically produced seeds, other than your personal ideals.

Organic gardeners in keeping with ideals surrounding organic gardens, choose organic seeds. An organic seed however is really no different from a seed produced using synthetic fertilizers.

All of our seeds are produced with an organic soil blend base amended with worm castings, kelp, composts, and black earth. I do irrigate throughout the cycle with fertilizers that some would argue are not 100% organic and thus synthetic, although they are created using naturally based products- seed and fish meals, guano teas, kelp derivatives, humic acids, etc.

Remember, the plants can't differentiate between the ions and compounds created through the degradation of naturally sourced materials, vs those derived from synthetic or industrial means. To me, organics is all about keeping a healthy, living soil ecosystem in place, which means don't overdo the 'synthetics' and try to source organic or naturally derived amendments if possible.

I consider seed-plants as pregnant mothers- they get to eat as much as they want of a complete, well balanced diet. They are kept alive as long as possible after fertilization, and die on the vine - giving their lives for the next generation, just as happens in nature.

-Chimera

GrassMan

Veteran
From my understanding TT, your are mixing two concepts: first one is to select the parentals according to the breeder ideotype (indoor-outdoor, structure, chemotype....) and the second concept is how you produce seeds from those parentals.
From my and other breeder experience, seeds produced under coco medium with synthetic fertilizers have better maturity, shell, homogeneity and overall appearance than those produced in organic medium with organic fertilizers.
And, if genetics are good and if you understand the needs of the plant, good things must happen.