What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Schools Rejoice - Colorado Pot Shops Bring in $2.35M in Excise Taxes... In January

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Colorado pot businesses sold a record amount of marijuana in January, resulting in an excise tax of nearly $2.35 million designated for public schools, state officials said Wednesday. Based on the Colorado Department of Revenue data, around $36.4 million of recreational marijuana was sold this January, compared with about $14.69 million sold the same month last year.

Colorado marijuana sales
State’s official 2014 report: Nearly 5 million marijuana-infused edibles and nearly 150,000 pounds of marijuana flower were purchased in legal Colorado stores and dispensaries in 2014, according to an encompassing new report published by the state.

“This is really what we expected and hope to see: a shift in the underground market to a regulated market,” said legalization advocate Mason Tvert. “It’s clearly generating significant revenue for the state.”

Tvert said that because most pot shops didn’t start opening until later in 2014, looking at sales numbers from this year to last might not be the best comparison. From here on out, he said he expects the amount of revenue to continue to grow, fluctuating with the ebb and flow of tourists.

Read More: http://www.thecannabist.co/2015/03/11/colorado-pot-tax-results-january-2015/31462/

Betterhaff

Veteran
I have to admit I’ve contributed. Travel there for business and while I’m there I’ll check out a few shops just to see what’s up.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The school administrative buildings must be fabulous.......

Depends on how it's being distributed. I'm hoping the taxes brought in, it helps long term.

Only tried 1 shop- didn't compare to what we grow, thus refrain from purchases.

However, tourism, tax dollars...every dollar counts. Come one, come all....enjoy the Centennial State!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been to.a couple rec shops in the mtn town of Telluride. For the tourism that town gets I expected a hell of a lot more than 6 flower choices.

Pretty lame I'd say.

I'll stick to me n my friends greenz.
They're by far better than my limited experience in the shops.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Woops... almost forgot...

How much of that money gets sucked up by administrative expenses previous to it being distributed to the schools?

Bet it's a bunch!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The numbers are important so that We The People can see that we are not being lied to.

Lip servis is the profession of politicians.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
LOL .... I haven't darkened their door.... ever. (The retail shops that is.)

I expect they hate me.

Bout to cease and desist growing for a while. Got a good supply, in the freezer.

I think a lot of the 'school funds' are being siphoned off to support the 'religious' schools. I keep seeing school busses at the 'private' schools anyway. Douglas County allowed/elected a religious 'board', at least some of what they did got deemed illegal. Now Jefferson County seems to have the same issues with the new 'board'.

The Religious Zealots have been attempting to get control of the educational system for years. They run for office w/o disclosing their intentions.

Z

z-ro

Does it really count when 90% of those numbers are from out of staters sending it back home? It wasn't 6 months ago when they were saying nobody is buying rec pot cause the tax is too high, they're still buying on the black market. At the end of the day, CO doesn't have the population to support a booming cannabis industry on its own, it relies mainly on tourist sales, once CA legalizes, anyone that invested in Colorado is going to be looking at some tough times, hopefully they will have already made their money...

2 Legal Co

Veteran
LOL

I'll try to refrain from buying another 'deep freeze'...... I do have my own Genetics Bank . It's in cold storage too.

Since my lungs don't like me to smoke, I eat cookies.

I've found that canna budder is a good way to store my THC.