What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Runner's High is a Cannabinoid Rush

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Here's some fun news for Saturday morning:

There's a new scientific study that supposedly shows the 'high' that runners enjoy so much is just like smoking weed!

Read more below:

It's common knowledge that, as long as you avoid drones on your daily route, going for a run is good for you. Running is great exercise, it boosts your immune system, and it even puts you in a better mood. The mood-boosting benefits of running used to be credited to endorphins, but a team of German scientists discovered that runner's high is actually thanks to another set of chemicals in your brain—endocannabinoids—that are much closer to the chemicals released by smoking weed, The Daily Beast reports.

To test this, scientists, led by Dr. Johannes Fuss, conducted a study at the University of Heidelberg in Mannheim using mice and running wheels. Their resulting paper suggests that endocannabinoids, not endorphins, are responsible for the emotional boost and resistance to pain that comes from running. Endorphins are also produced while running, but, "one brain region produces endorphins for the brain, and another produces them for the body. Endorphins actually can’t pass through the blood-brain barrier." Endocannabinoids can pass directly from blood to brain, which more accurately represents what you feel when you're running.

For the full story click here.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Cool, I am pretty lazy, so I will just puff instead of run?
All those years I spent marathoning were all just a waste?
I have been saying that for years......
-SamS

Dirt Life

Veteran
Huh. Guess they kind of feel similar. I feel invigorated and refreshed after a good run or bike, lutterally sitting on top of the world. Some cannabis does that to me, but still, not really the same. I enjoy both for how they both make me feel, and for health reasons as well. :)

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
i thought that this was accepted as part of evolution the same sense as colostren/lactate containing cannabinoids to stimulate feeding response in newborn humans, at least a few years ago, the same as fucking and eating the human gets rewarded for chasing food, thus surviving all these thousands of years?

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
I do both and agree wholeheartedly. The best is running in the morning, surfing or snowboarding, for the endorphins mentally as well, soon after - all the while, smoking organic buds. But a good workout is great too. Especially with two of my cannabis capsules kicking in...!!

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The exercise high is a bit different but I guess some of the same chemicals are being released. I am a bit lazy and do not want to go thru the crap to get to the exercise high.

I never ran, just doing martial arts for a long time does the same thing.