What's new

Root rot in coco ?

Liamp1603

If it’s root rot get on yer hands n knees pull her out the pot a bit n give it a whiff. Owt that’s rotten has a honk to it. I’ll be honest, I’ve only been growing in earnest since 2020 though, I’ve only ever seen root rot from the media less hydro folks.

Your pots are raised and not sat in their run off or owt are they? If your sure it’s root problems and there no microherd to worry about then h2o2 I believe can be used
Yh I've pulled out the rootball from the fabric pot and give it a smell and it doesn't smell foul or rancid just like dirt 😂 Yh they're never sat in run off I water till run off leave it five minutes then tip the run off in a bucket ....

Liamp1603

Yes you should certainly be able to ride it out for that long. As others have said smell the roots. If the wilt spreads to other branches you might as well chop. Examine the vascular tissue when you cut affected branches. Orange to brown tissue are signs of fusarium. If that's the case good luck b/c the shit is tenacious and comes back seemingly regardless of sterilization procedures.
Do you mean after I cut down the plants and clean the tent it will still be lingering about for the next run ? I'll burn the tent if that's the case

Rgd

Veteran
You have some problem at any rate

Twisted leaves and necrosis I always think

Russet mites

But the plant in that photo could be alot of different causes

Last edited:

Liamp1603

You have some problem at any rate

Twisted leaves and necrosis I always think

Russet mites

But the pqnt in that photo could be alot of different causes
I decided it to chop it down I felt as if whatever the problem was it was making the plant lose its density and I'd rather chop it earlier than risk maybe loosing it all checked the roots and theY look fine no circle of death in the stems either so dno what happened to it every other plant in the grow is fine .....

Attachments

• IMG_9690.jpeg
    IMG_9690.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9691.jpeg
    IMG_9691.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 94
Reactions: Rgd

gmanwho

Veteran
i see the partially dead twisted leafs in pic 2 you speak of. Ive experienced that before, infact i just did. the other leaf damage points to a lockout or overfeed, ph issue. most likely buildup

It could be something fungal in the plant itself and not the roots as you just proved. Fungal problems can infect singular branches an not the plant as a whole. they can block uptake when they setup shop in the stem leading up. damage an weaken cell structures, not allowing cells to stack water reducing uptake to that section.

The weird thing about pathogens they can effect plants on a sliding scale. sometimes its low percentages when that plant wont perform to 100%. Push the envelope with light an feeds then the problem shows, run a more relaxed environment and you wont even know there's an underlining issue waiting.

One thing you didnt mention was your room or canopy temps, vpd, watering schedules, air movement, co2. that could be a hot spot where u saw the leaf twist an die.

I just experienced similar issue when i was pushing higher ppfd levels & longer drybacks (getting roots to fill containers) . i think one plant was just on the to dry of side, an plant started to dehydrate. then everyone got a watering. but it was to late as the plant started shutting down in that section. plant pulled the water from nearby leaf and routed it to the nearest cola. After all the plant wants to produce seed, so save the colas! Similar how are body redirects resources to major organs in a time of need.

the other variables i can think of is

that plant could of had a bigger canopy and was first to dry out.
higher air movement, either at canopy or drying the medium quicker.

If you are using drippers, somehow that plant is receiving less feed volume. partial clog etc. or less pressure at that dripper.

If hand watering it could have received less water accidentally. or if you are still hand watering but metering your delivery amount, watering could have channeled an flowed out without full absorption. and medium overall absorbed less of the nutrient.

that plant could be the same size as all others but maybe there is less medium in that container therefore dried out quicker.

id look to those variables as well in the future...

brickweeder

If it’s root rot get on yer hands n knees pull her out the pot a bit n give it a whiff. Owt that’s rotten has a honk to it. I’ll be honest, I’ve only been growing in earnest since 2020 though, I’ve only ever seen root rot from the media less hydro folks.
This. You can also isolate the runoff from each pot and do a smell test next grow...if you have root rot, you'll know. Every time I ran a hempy bucket grow, I had root rot in at least one of the buckets. Once i went to dtw coco, no more root rot.

bs0

Has anyone ever experienced root rot in coco coir ? I'm at day 48flower and think I have the beginning of root rot showing signs or it's another problem I Carn figure out what tho .... second run with this strain and didn't experience it the first time round ?? Thanks for all help
Doesn't look like rot. Looks like humidity issues or maybe you need calmag.

Minor leaf necrosis isn't unusual in later flower.

Ca++

I would give that container, and the route to waste, a damn good clean. A 2L bottle of thin bleach is 88p in ASDA. Of you could use Jeyes, which kills anything.

Be sure it's thin bleach. Thick bleach sounds like more bleaching power, but actually it's a thickening agent that allows the bleach to cling to vertical surfaces. Typical toilet applications. Tiled walls. Not your hydro, where it want's to wash off easily. Using the wrong bleach has killed a few crops.

Any tools used for trimming. Containers the waste went in. The remains. It's coco. It all wants cleaning or getting out. Even the green you are keeping, needs a bit of caution. No jamming up then tending to your crop. The door to possible reinfection needs closing. You may want to add rice hulls to the coco at this point, to offer some silicone that strengthens against such attacks. Bugbee always does this. It's good insurance (I should get a policy)