What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

request input for a blog post comparing breeding to tea plant issues

John Tea

Greetings! I write a blog about tea, and I was hoping to get some input on cannabis / marijuana plant breeding for comparison to tea plant breeding issues. Makes sense? More background might clarify.

In researching tea-plant-related issues I often cross into breeding related scope, related to cultivar / breeding / plant type development issues. Most recently it came up in basic research of Darjeeling plant types being developed, but in more detail related Taiwanese oolong types, since those are better organized in a system of original types (landraces) and newer hybrids. One interesting aside: that system was put in place during a Japanese occupation (my understanding; not as if I'm a historian), related to identifying plants in current use, then extended in the latter part of the 20th century to standardize hybrid development.

This might be interesting, even if off-main-topic here: there are two main branches of tea plant types, Camelia Sinensis var. Sinensis, and var. Assamica, with lots of development related to cross breeding across the two main types and within individual types / strains from one main branch. Tea isn't the same type of plant, of course, and breeding issues will be different, and a blog post is not a research project, at most a discussion, and usually not even that.

I just want some simple input, answers to established questions (I've finished a draft of that part), a very limited set, based on some very clear background description. The project should take the right person an hour or so, possibly less, very little time. But it has to come from the right kind of source, someone with relatively deep knowledge of plant breeding / botany, not so much someone that had great experience with growing (although that is an interesting subject, and it is related, but the scope relates to how plants change over time, more about genetics).

I could read up and ask around more here but I'd need 50 posts first to use PMs, and I don't have much to say about the main subject of this forum. I used to smoke but that's really a different story, not related. The subject of how plant types have changed is interesting related to both plant types, perhaps even more interesting and dramatic related to cannabis. I have a deep respect for people contributing an advanced level of skill and knowledge to development in both areas, to making better tea and better cannabis. Funny how we never called it that, when I lived in Colorado (as a long-term ski-bum, even though that's also not related). On that subject, unrelated tangents, I now live in Bangkok, so beyond getting help with this I'd be happy to talk about tea or Thailand, I just don't know anything related to the main theme here.

Thanks in advance for any input or leads, and good job with the great content on here, fascinating even without closer personal involvement.

Latest posts

Latest posts