What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Remove HOT AIR 6 inch Heat Exchanger

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
http://www.amazon.com/HydroGen-Inch...8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1289985662&sr=1-8
can get these for around $130 if you look around

413kzkzQ6iL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
you can find these for under $25 at home depot, its a "6inch inline duct fan"

Great for 2000watts and under, grow tents...

attach these two pics together and you have water chilled air, Radiator to Fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

VAtransplant

so wait how is that removing hot air? i guess if you water cooled you'd generate less hot air..but still..?

what would be nuts is if someone attached a large version of one of these to the top side of their hood that could keep the entire hood from becoming an oven..im sure it'd have some effectiveness if you found a large enough peltier

0ed706fd72fd3c1ea7d11f633b9eb1c2.jpg

B

Bob Smith

so wait how is that removing hot air?

It's a heat exchanger - when there's cold water running through it, the coils will cool the air around them to the same temperature, thereby exchanging the heat.

Of course, the water will warm up eventually if there's no chiller involved (or if the room the reservoir is sitting in isn't 60F or less).

All it does is remove heat from the air in your grow room and transfer it to the water running through the Ice Box.

Nicoli

Veteran
i dont see how that removes hot air, it looks like it cools the exhaust. the way the dude has it setup in that video makes no sense, you're cooling the air you're exhausting outside? huh? maybe im confused, but thats what it looks like

B

Bob Smith

It doesn't "remove hot air"; it "removes heat from the air" (transfers it into the water).

The heat that gets into the water must be dealt with in some way, either through a chiller or ambient temps being enough to disperse the heat without a chiller.

Nicoli

Veteran
so what is the point of this? whats the benefit? if you still have to exhaust outside, what benefit is this? heh.

B

Bob Smith

It keeps your sealed grow cool using water cooling as opposed to using AC - watercooling is much, much, much more efficient at cooling than an AC.

IMO it's more trouble than it's worth to setup (for my particular setup), because AC serves the dual role of dehumidifying as well, but watercooling is certainly a good setup for some people.

If you lived somewhere cool, you could put a large reservoir outside and exchange heat that way, cooling your entire grow while using minimal amounts of electricity - there's a guy in Michigan who uses a pond on his property in conjunction with several Ice Boxes to cool his 30K grow with almost no electricity usage.

B. Friendly

Veteran
so what is the point of this? whats the benefit? if you still have to exhaust outside, what benefit is this? heh.
stand in the beating sun, then stand in the beating sun all wet, you tell me the difference.
Water is a natural temperature reducer. you room is colder with higher RH, notice your rooms temp. before you add plants, the plants naturally cool the enviro a few degrees on their own from transpiration,
So imagine cold water being constantly added to your rooms air

if you don't use a pump and reservoir and live were water is not metered you can run drain to waste and always have cold from a tap.

plus by adding a fan to the heat exchanger/radiator you can blow cold air into your enviro making a much larger dent

VAtransplant

oh. this makes a lot of sense now- that'd be cool...

get a thermostat hooked up, or thermocube even, hooked to your fan and pump. Have reservoir outside with some antifreeze in it I suppose, and when they cut on that frigid water would go thru coils and fan would distribute cool air in the tent..and go off when thermostat was satisfied.

that'd be really cool- really good idea. and you could always rig up something with a small radiator diy, even if it was kind of ghetto with shoeboxes on either side.

B. Friendly

Veteran
oh. this makes a lot of sense now- that'd be cool...

get a thermostat hooked up, or thermocube even, hooked to your fan and pump. Have reservoir outside with some antifreeze in it I suppose, and when they cut on that frigid water would go thru coils and fan would distribute cool air in the tent..and go off when thermostat was satisfied.

that'd be really cool- really good idea. and you could always rig up something with a small radiator diy, even if it was kind of ghetto with shoeboxes on either side.
for under $120 you can buy a Hydro Innovations Thermostate for the Heat Exchanger, it will turn your fans on and off
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=garden&field-keywords=hydro+innovations

B

Bob Smith

That's the general idea, but instead of antifreeze (a dangerous thing to be introducing into your grow, even though it theoretically would be on a closed loop and never come into contact with grow room air) you should use food grade propylene glycol as a precautionary measure.

EDIT: B. Friendly, or you can buy a Lux thermostat for $40 which will do the same thing.

VAtransplant

I think what would be cheaper is just to bend a bunch of copper pipe snaking back and forth, or spiral, something- then have it plumbed to a pump outside. I flower at night, and it ranges anywhere from 40 to 0 over winter. Thermostat would be key for operating the pump and fan because of varying reservoir temps I guess.

thatd be cool though, get a vornado or something and have it blowing on this dream catcher looking spiral of coil pipe hanging at the top of your grow room.

B. Friendly

Veteran
That's the general idea, but instead of antifreeze (a dangerous thing to be introducing into your grow, even though it theoretically would be on a closed loop and never come into contact with grow room air) you should use food grade propylene glycol as a precautionary measure.

EDIT: B. Friendly, or you can buy a Lux thermostat for $40 which will do the same thing.
same thing, this one just a day and night setting so it's a little better still expensive

B

Bob Smith

in one window out the other would work?

Yes, I guess that'd work, but it'd sure look suspicious to have 3/4" tubing running in and out of your window.

You'd most likely have to drill through your wall to be discreet about it.

supermanlives

Veteran
it looks like a tiny version of a heater i had in my greenhouse. worked great for heating so i aimaging it would cool as well. wish i would of thought of it back then as i had a well in the basement. damn. great thread

B. Friendly

Veteran
Yes, I guess that'd work, but it'd sure look suspicious to have 3/4" tubing running in and out of your window.

You'd most likely have to drill through your wall to be discreet about it.
I guess I wasn't being Inconspicuous,
bury the hose under ground outside from intake to out take so it does not freeze in the winter.
just thoughts

Latest posts

Latest posts