What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Prosecutors drop marijuana charges against Michigan woman

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Beth LeBlanc, Port Huron Times Herald 9:25 p.m. EDT August 5, 2015</SECTION><SECTION id=module-position-OUrLvb8hXxA class="storytopbar-bucket google-survey-module"></SECTION><!-- p402_premium class is utilized by Google Consumer Surveys -->
<SECTION id=module-position-OUrLvb-lvvE class="storymetadata-bucket expandable-photo-module"><ASIDE class="single-photo expandable-collapsed" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/ImageObject" itemprop="associatedMedia">
B9318351844Z.1_20150805170339_000_GICBI027F.1-0.jpg
<META content=GinniferHency itemprop="name">

Ginnifer Hency <META content="" itemprop="copyrightHolder">(Photo: Submitted)
</ASIDE></SECTION>

Prosecutors have dropped marijuana charges and will return items seized from a Kimball Township woman in the wake
of a Michigan Supreme Court ruling last week, the woman learned Wednesday.
“I’m elated that this part is over,” said Ginnifer Hency. “It’s been a long year.”
St. Clair County Prosecutor Michael Wendling said about 18 cases were on hold while prosecution and defense waited on the Supreme Court decision.
“We re-evaluated the files that we had pending and at least five were no longer viable in light of the Supreme Court decision,” Wendling said.
<STYLE> .oembed-asset-link { background: #fff; border-bottom: 1px solid #e1e1e1; } .oembed-link-anchor { display: block; clear: both; } .oembed-link-thumbnail{ float: left; padding: 14px; } .oembed-link-thumbnail img { max-width: 78px; max-height: 60px; display: block; } p.oembed-link-title { font-size: 75%; color: #009BFF; margin: 0 14px; padding-top: 12px; font-weight:normal; text-align: left; line-height: 120%; } p.oembed-link-desc { font-size: 100%; color: #666; font-weight: normal; margin: 0 14px 14px 14px; font-family: 'Futura Today Light'; text-align: left; line-height: 120%; } </STYLE>
DETROIT FREE PRESS
Police seize cash, property from Michigan residents in raids

“I think that’s an analysis that prosecutors across the state are undertaking.”
The Supreme Court ruling last week clarified when caregivers and users can use their medical marijuana certification as a defense or immunity if charged with a marijuana-related crime. It was the court’s ninth medical marijuana ruling since voters approved the Michigan Medical Marijuana Marihuana Act in 2008.
“We would have to have specific evidence on those items in order to overcome that burden now that we did not have to show before,” Wendling said.
<STYLE> .oembed-asset-link { background: #fff; border-bottom: 1px solid #e1e1e1; } .oembed-link-anchor { display: block; clear: both; } .oembed-link-thumbnail{ float: left; padding: 14px; } .oembed-link-thumbnail img { max-width: 78px; max-height: 60px; display: block; } p.oembed-link-title { font-size: 75%; color: #009BFF; margin: 0 14px; padding-top: 12px; font-weight:normal; text-align: left; line-height: 120%; } p.oembed-link-desc { font-size: 100%; color: #666; font-weight: normal; margin: 0 14px 14px 14px; font-family: 'Futura Today Light'; text-align: left; line-height: 120%; } </STYLE>
DETROIT FREE PRESS
Michigan a step closer to allowing marijuana for autism

Wendling said any unresolved civil forfeiture cases connected to those five dismissed cases also will be dismissed, and items seized will be returned.
The Free Press in February reported in February that police seized more than $24 million in assets from Michiganders in 2013. In many cases the citizens were never charged, but lost their property anyway.
Komorn said Hency was arrested and her home raided in July 2014. The medical marijuana caregiver was charged in December 2014 with possession with intent to deliver marijuana.
According to appeal documents from the prosecution, Hency told a Drug Task Force member she had six ounces of marijuana in a locked bag that she intended to exchange for a different strain with another caregiver and give the marijuana to her patients.
Her case was dismissed by visiting District Judge David Nicholson in May after Nicholson found that no crime had occurred.
The prosecutor’s office appealed in circuit court. Oral arguments on the appeal were supposed to be heard by Circuit Judge Michael West on Wednesday.
Hency’s lawyer, Michael Komorn, hailed the dismissal.
“But that does not eliminate the horror of what they’ve had to deal with the last year,” Komorn said.
“It didn’t come easy. We’ve had to fight for a year.”
Komorn said Hency’s family was devastated by the July 2014 raid on their home and Hency has had trouble finding employment because of the pending narcotics charge.
Hency said authorities seized several items, including a Chevy Impala, two iPhones, an iPad and a ladder, when they raided her home in 2014.
nuHency’s case gained national attention when she said the Drug Task Force also seized a sex toy.
Sheriff Tim Donnellon said that was investigated and was unfounded.
“It’s absolutely not true,” Donnellon said. “There’s no reason for us to do any such thing, it never happened,” he said.
The sex toy wasn’t listed on the forfeiture seizure list. endnu
The mother of four, who has multiple sclerosis, told Forbes Magazine that they even took her sex toy.
Hency said she appreciated the prosecutor’s decision to dismiss the case “in the interest of justice.” But she said she feels her case isn’t completely finished.
“When I get my stuff back I will consider it over,” Hency said.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...er-hency-vibrator-marijuana-seizure/31181051/

paper thorn

Veteran
she's pretty cute, no toys needed.

Prosecutors and cops are such poor losers. No crime occurred, but keep charging and appealing anyway.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
lol, they also seized a ladder...

What a bunch of maroons.

why the fuck would they steal a damned ladder? "hey sarge! i sure could use me a good ladder, okay if i take this one? they probably climb up on it to harvest the top buds..." :)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cops shouldn't be able to seize anything at all without charges being filed. I do believe that these actions are unconstitutional. Give me some time & I think I can figure out how.

If more Citizens knew their Rights & exercised them, there would be much less necessity for cops to begin with!

No victim, no crime!

A

algae1011

Glad everything is resolved, but that blurb about Cannabis & Autism was my favorite part of the article.

:peacock:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
why the hell would they sieze a ladder??????maybe one of em liked it and was goona get it later at auction??? yeehaw...

Ready4

Veteran
They took the ladder because they could auction for a little $, total police maggots who are no better than criminals.
As long as the idiots in Michigan vote for neoNazi Rethuglicans this will be the norm. GOP = filthy sick enemies of the American people,
enemies of freedom.

TheMan13

Veteran
Cops shouldn't be able to seize anything at all without charges being filed. I do believe that these actions are unconstitutional. Give me some time & I think I can figure out how.

If more Citizens knew their Rights & exercised them, there would be much less necessity for cops to begin with!

No victim, no crime!

Seizure is a civil action against property, not a criminal action against a person. The burden of proof is a mere preponderance (51/49) of the evidence in a civil court, not beyond a reasonable doubt (99/1) as in a criminal court. You'll need a lawyer by law to play in a civil court and none will be afforded to you. That's the "equality" of our "justice system", the greatest civil rights issue of our time ...

This tells a bit more of Ginnifer's story:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/03/why-armed-drug-cops-took-every-belonging-from-a-michigan-soccer-mom/

Unclecrash

No victim, no crime!

exactly if provin guilty then cease the shit. They are using there power to basically say were guilty before charged. I thought we were Innocent until provin guilty , not the other way around.