What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Prevalence of Marijuana Use Disorders in the United States Between 2001-2002 and 2012

Sforza

Veteran
Conclusions and Relevance The prevalence of marijuana use more than doubled between 2001-2002 and 2012-2013, and there was a large increase in marijuana use disorders during that time. While not all marijuana users experience problems, nearly 3 of 10 marijuana users manifested a marijuana use disorder in 2012-2013. Because the risk for marijuana use disorder did not increase among users, the increase in prevalence of marijuana use disorder is owing to an increase in prevalence of users in the US adult population. Given changing laws and attitudes toward marijuana, a balanced presentation of the likelihood of adverse consequences of marijuana use to policy makers, professionals, and the public is needed.

http://archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2464591

I did not read the entire thing to get their definition of what constitutes a "marijuana use disorder" but I will take an educated guess that it is pure bulljive.

Sforza

Veteran
Found the definition of "marijuana use disorder" used in the study. It looks like I was right, it is pure bullshit.

"the study found about “30 percent of people who used marijuana in the past year met criteria for marijuana use disorder during 2012-2013, as defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. This includes symptoms such as taking the drug in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended by the user; the persistent desire to cut down or control use/unsuccessful efforts to do so; failure to fulfill major role obligations at work, school or home as a result of marijuana use; and tolerance and/or withdrawal,”

This comes from an article titled, "Marijuana use and addiction on the rise" from Luanne Rife, Staff writer for the Med Beat for the Roanoke Times.

Med Beat covers medical issues, research and the business side of the health care industry, as reported by Luanne Rife, who covers the business of medicine in Southwest Virginia for The Roanoke Times. Contact Luanne at [email protected].

Anyone want to email LuLu and explain that no one has ever been addicted to ganja? LuLu is probably more addicted to diet coke than anyone has ever been addicted to pot.

Sforza

Veteran
Everyone who drinks must be subject to alcohol use disorder, since like any drug, as you use it, you develop a tolerance and it takes more of the drug to get the same effect.

I can quit cocaine, pot, and drinking coffee with absolutely no withdrawal effects, or at least none that I am aware of so that amounts to the same thing, but since most people do suffer from headaches as a withdrawal symptom when quitting drinking coffee cold turkey, that would mean that many more than 30% of coffee drinkers are addicted to coffee and suffer from "coffee use disorder".

According to my study, upwards of 95% of medical researchers suffer from medical jargon use disorder.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ahhhh, JAMA article. It can be manipulated to make the cause.

CONCLUSIONS.
ABSTRACT | INTRODUCTION | METHODS | RESULTS | DISCUSSION | CONCLUSIONS | ARTICLE INFORMATION | REFERENCES

In summary, while many in the United States think prohibition of recreational marijuana should be ended,4 this study and others suggest caution and the need for public education about the potential harms in marijuana use, including the risk for addiction. As is the case with alcohol, many individuals can use marijuana without becoming addicted. However, the clear risk for marijuana use disorders among users (approximately 30%) suggests that as the number of US users grows, so will the number of those experiencing problems related to such use. This information is important to convey in a balanced manner to health care professionals, policy makers, and the public.

The same can be said of sedentary lifestyle, diabetes, heart disease and other debilitating diseases.

Not withstanding, mental disorders without use of alcohol, cannabis is roughly 20% in the general population. Go figure.

SpaceJunkOG

use disorders.. "......developed a tolerance to the drug"

LOL!!! you're SUPPOSED to develop a tolerance to the drug, it works best that way. just like antidepressants, or an anti-anxiety medication, it may feel a little weird when you first start, but once you build a TOLERANCE to it, it begins to act as it was intended, as a medicine. This is a common characteristic of many MEDICINES, the need to build a tolerance in the body for them to work correctly.

so fucking backwards, all these people, none of them understand it, i think it's a long road ahead till they do

igrowone

Veteran
oh they understand all right
it's not about understanding, it's about the reality you want to create
cannabis is becoming legal, but the anti cannabis hate/lies will continue

minds_I

Veteran
..... This includes symptoms such as taking the drug in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended by the user; the persistent desire to cut down or control use/unsuccessful efforts to do so; failure to fulfill major role obligations at work, school or home as a result of marijuana use; and tolerance and/or withdrawal,”....

Sounds suspiciously familiar?????

dddaver

Veteran
All those negative things could be said about sugar. Tolerance build up, lethargy, can't quit, so we should immediately outlaw sugar...but wait a minute, cannabis won't cause diabetes or obesity.

Whatever. They're reaching man. Haters gonna hate.