What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Plant showing early male flowers, which previously didn't?

Q

quokka

I have a cutting i have been growing for 2 years, but only recently it has started to grow some male flowers in early flower?

It didn't do that previously and it only grows a few and not on every branch?

The mother plant was stressed and nearly died, but i took some wilted but semi hard cuttings and revegged them, could this possibly be the reason why, and if so, would letting them reveg for a longer time maybe help?

Thanks. :ying:

Q

quokka

No one?

I have noticed that some cuttings of the same plant will grow male preflowers and others wont?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Re veg is a hormone struggle for the plant in question.

If the plant you mention is really worth the effort, attempt
to grow her healthy, cuttings of cuttings, until the trait
no longer manifests.

But now you know what he/she is, and I would only keep her
long enough to grow a replacement keeper from proven
seed stock, then discard.

DrFever

Veteran
IMO a plant showing hermie traits or throwin out nanners which is a undesirable trait will always have the possibility of doing it the bad trait is inbedded in its DNA

Q

quokka

Re veg is a hormone struggle for the plant in question.

If the plant you mention is really worth the effort, attempt
to grow her healthy, cuttings of cuttings, until the trait
no longer manifests.

But now you know what he/she is, and I would only keep her
long enough to grow a replacement keeper from proven
seed stock, then discard.

If the plant can be 'stabilised' as you say, why should it be discarded?

Just because it is a bit sensitive?

DrFever

Veteran
TBO i would discard it nothing like working hard only to have your garden over whelmed in late flower with nanners its like a cancer once it starts it spreads fast
Hermaphrodites are not desirable candidates as either clone mothers or for breeding because they carry a genetic characteristic for hermaphroditism. The clones will bear male flowers. Crosses with pure females will result either in a mix of females and hermaphrodites or all hermaphrodites depending on whether the hermaphrodite has the characteristic on only one or both of the paired chromosomes.
I would probably dump the plant and use the light for better specimens. The plant is essentially a mule; it’s not going to be used for reproduction and the chance of at least some of the buds being ruined is high. I don’t think it’s worth the effort or frustration.

Q

quokka

Yes, i understand, but ECSD 'sometimes' puts out male flowers doesn't it, and Bubba Kush?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Yes, i understand, but ECSD 'sometimes' puts out male flowers doesn't it, and Bubba Kush?

If your plant is a cultivar from recent, available stock,
replace it with newer seeds. Never keep iffy genetics
if you can source better, non hermie cultivars of the
same strain.

If the cut you have is irreplaceable, then work it
back to a less stressed state.

Keep us posted.