What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Pheno hunting skunk 1 for blues/sheffblues/livers

Wnikk

After talking to a few people and doing endless internet searches, I decided to do a pheno hunt for the mythical blues flavour!
Not sure if this is the correct strategy but Ive tried everything else.
Like everyone who’s chasing this strain, we all seem to be from around the north west or up north.
I’ve just come back from Amsterdam and brought back a pile of new beans. Including sk1 sensi seeds regs and fems, I’ve also ordered the mephisto bx1 livers autos online. I e been in contact with seeds man to try get Sam’s old stock but don’t seem to be getting anywhere.
Can any tell me why what we call blues characteristics have disappeared from genetics nowadays?
Even barneys messed the line up and they used to be super stable
Anyway any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 103

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
After talking to a few people and doing endless internet searches, I decided to do a pheno hunt for the mythical blues flavour!
Not sure if this is the correct strategy but Ive tried everything else.
Like everyone who’s chasing this strain, we all seem to be from around the north west or up north.
I’ve just come back from Amsterdam and brought back a pile of new beans. Including sk1 sensi seeds regs and fems, I’ve also ordered the mephisto bx1 livers autos online. I e been in contact with seeds man to try get Sam’s old stock but don’t seem to be getting anywhere.
Can any tell me why what we call blues characteristics have disappeared from genetics nowadays?
Even barneys messed the line up and they used to be super stable
Anyway any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance
Damn, that should keep you occupied for a while. Those all look killer, Keep us posted, and thanks for sharing.

Cannaben123

Good luck!

Very interested to see what you find. I worry most the skunk 1 lines have probably been reproduced a few times since the special phenos popped up way back when & it’s taken things in a different direction.

I recently scooped a pack of UGORGS killer skunk. blues x smellyberry. Got high hopes on that one!

The best representation of blues I found in the past was from Breeders Boutique, deep blue I think the strain was called. Unfortunately it threw so many nanas at around week 6 I didn’t keep her around.

Wnikk

Good luck!

Very interested to see what you find. I worry most the skunk 1 lines have probably been reproduced a few times since the special phenos popped up way back when & it’s taken things in a different direction.

I recently scooped a pack of UGORGS killer skunk. blues x smellyberry. Got high hopes on that one!

The best representation of blues I found in the past was from Breeders Boutique, deep blue I think the strain was called. Unfortunately it threw so many nanas at around week 6 I didn’t keep her around.
Deep blue is new name I’ve not heard before, I’m going to have a look for it now 👍
I’ve been looking for UGORGS blues packs but think they’re sold out everywhere! I’m a few years late to the party I think.
Yeah I thought that the sk1s around nowadays are a few generations old. Absolutely no chance the original seeds are still about.
All I can do is pop and pray. I’ve been told I should still find a keeper along the way, wether it’s the turps I’m looking for only time will tell

Not so long ago was Chimera selling via his Breeders Retail shop (that was advertising here on IC) some of the Sam Skunkman's original old beans of Skunk 1 that were from Sam's own old stock.
I dont want to say something stupid, but if I remember well beans were pretty old, (not exactly sure about year of reproduction, dont remeber anymore but it should be possible to find it somewhere here on IC) There was of course low germination, thats why they sold 100 for price of 10 to ensure you have some to sprout.
It was from huge open pollination project so probably best source of original Skunk line that was available recently.

I do not buy or use Holland seedbanks anymore. I have grown plenty of those supposedly skunk crosses or skunk next generations, but usually it was average weed that was able to finish outside early enough. Made to rippen in Netherland climate well. Rarely I was able to find something special, but usualy pretty average weed unfortunately. I ve relay tried many... from sensi, dutchpassion, royal queen, greenhouse seeds, barneys and few more...usualy more varieties from each bank also, several skung versions from sensi, early skunk, skunk1, superskunk....whatever they call it. Great phenos are prety rare, but I wish you lot of luck man. You have plenty seeds I am curious if you find something special. I had also Blueberry from Dutchpassion actualy, thisone was not bad at all overal one pheno from 10 pack was very potent in my case. Friends liked it a lot. I also had some nice plants from Nirvana seedbank. One of my White Rhino kicked ass, very potent, but too sleepy effect.

I am not sure if I understand what you mean when you say ''mythical blues flavor''. When you say blue, I imagine Blueberry or some of her family lines, but these are from DJ Short. I like these. Usualy very nice euphoric high and nice berry taste. If you look for some blueberry genetics search Old World genetics brand, these are lines from DJ Short.

I personaly prefer more ''sativa'' effects. Dont care about taste or name too much. The way it gets me high is more important to me. I like happy uplifting effects. Saw you have also some auto blueberry there. Since some point I do not grow any autoflower at all. I didnt realy like single plant of it from any source I ve grown. I tried also Cannabiogen's Auto CBG and also Ace's Auto Malawi x Nothern Lights just to see if these boys can do any better, as I value them a s good transparent breeders, but....no I am sorry I didnt like these as well.

Sorry to write too much I am probably high as fck now :d

Wnikk

Hi pal, don’t apologise for detailed reply, I appreciate your input.
I’m going to give the chimera breeders ago along with the deep blue another member recommended.
I thought the exact same thing until I ran a pack of dj shorts blueberry. It’s different turps, and plant structure. Barney’s old stock blue cheese was close but it’s like a cheap imitation of the real thing. I did some blue crimea years ago that was very similar but them seeds seem to have vanished from the shelves.
I know mate, it’s hard finding a keeper, would love to know if going down the sk1 route is a waste of time. These will be gifted to close friends really I’m a hobby grower, I’d never get through all these. It’s a bit discouraging when ring off names I was gunna try.
It would be cool if wanna the lads who have the cut I’m talking about, sent off a fan leaf for some sort of dna test. Not sure if that’s even possible, but would be great to know 100%

Good luck!

I've just ran the killers in hope of finding a good representation. It's close and has some of the smell but imho it's lacking, compared too the blues/livers that I regularly used to get from tinsley-Sheffield.
I would do things for that cutt 🤣

iTarzan

Veteran
I used to run skunk #1 outdoors when it was new like in 1990?? I always just let them mingle. The ones with lime tip leaves that looked like a N deficiency but different, were my favorites. I started only letting the males and females with that trait make seeds. Strangely after about 10 years my seeds never produced lime tip leaves again. Somebody said I bottlenecked my Skunk #1.
In the early seed catalogs they mention the lime tip leaves.
Look for those. They are very sativa leaning and are very potent. Everybody that smoked it back then said it was the best. Many of them never smoked Columbian Gold or Jamaican though like in the 1970-1975 era. But it was excellent.

CocoNut 420

Hey folks, I've got a couple of skunks for this year, lost skunk F2 from seed heaven I'm optimistic about that its bred from ugorg blues parent. @Wnikk
and skunk special from female seeds Nl.
I've grown them before they've got that cat piss but my favourite wasn't stable.

Last edited:

Wnikk

Hey folks, I've got a couple of skunks for this year, lost skunk F2 from seed heaven I'm optimistic about that its bred from ugorg blues parent. @Wnikk
I've grown them before they've got that cat piss but my favourite wasn't stable.
Hi pal I’m curious about your blueberry’s, id like to try a good example, love those bluesy turps. I ran a pack of Dutch passion blueberry few years back. I didn’t find anything worth keeping.
I’d really like to try those ugorg blues, I think they where made the crossing the cuts I used to smoke years back.
Your cheese looks stinky, unusual pheno? I bet you can smell that down the street

CocoNut 420

Hi pal I’m curious about your blueberry’s, id like to try a good example, love those bluesy turps. I ran a pack of Dutch passion blueberry few years back. I didn’t find anything worth keeping.
I’d really like to try those ugorg blues, I think they where made the crossing the cuts I used to smoke years back.
Your cheese looks stinky, unusual pheno? I bet you can smell that down the street
Hello there, blueberry is a favourite of mine I love it, I've had plenty of false hopes with blueberry in particular, fromwhatim reading your experience isn't unusual.

My favourite blueberry to date blueberry twist from advanced female seeds to date are reliably blueberry terps to varying degrees,
it's a safe buy if you like bb terps.

I've a blueberry mother i clone from.
_20221127_145219.JPG

and one other potential blueberry mother to replace it.
20240119_111218.jpg

I'm excited about this one, it smells amazing and to my eye it's got the same shape and bud structure as the killer blueberry phenos from decades back.

I've also some coastal blueberry to try this year.

Attachments

• _20220425_190617 (1).JPG
    _20220425_190617 (1).JPG
    442.2 KB · Views: 38

Probiomer

How is the lost
Did you have any luck with the lost skunk?

Latest posts

Latest posts