What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

PGR to extend vegetative growth and allow cloning of AUTOS

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
Is anyone aware of a method to extend vegetative growth of AUTOS to allow mothers to be cloned and maintained in veg? This would require a PGR protocol, please does anyone have info on this?

zif

Veteran
Tissue culture from flowers might provide some clues (from SamS excellent bibliography):

Regeneration of shoots from immature and mature inflorescences of Cannabis sativa
Kevin F. Piunno, Gregory Golenia, Ekaterina A. Boudko, Cassandra Downey, A. Maxwell P. Jones
Canadian Journal of Plant Science Can. J. Plant Sci April 2019
DOI: 10.1139/CJPS-2018-0308
Cannabis sativa is usually clonally propagated from plants in the vegetative phase. However, phenotypic traits such as yield and chemical composition can only be assessed in unfertilized plants reaching the end of their life cycle and there are no peer reviewed methods to propagate flowering plants. In this study, immature (3 cultivars) and mature (1 cultivar) floral explants were cultured on thidiazuron and shoot development was observed from both immature and mature explants. This provides the first report of micropropagation from floral tissues in C. sativa and will enable plants to be clonally propagated up to the date of harvest.

clearheaded

best thing is to just grow photoperiods.. or make S1 of ur auto and just plant seeds.

you could do tissue culture but no real advantage.

make or purchase a "fast" line, many breeders have them now and basically "semi auto", which can be cloned however will flower if become root bound or change of light schedule. watered down lowryders. trigger quickly with any light change and shorter flowering times. if thats what you are after using autos.

lol a LP released a blog saying "first to clone auto flower" which of course was probably not the case, and just meant they used micro prop teks on a ruderalis.

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
Zif - thank you for the article link, could be helpful.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]clearheaded - [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I need info relating to AUTOS specifically and PGR use to extend vegetative growth allowing cloning of AUTOS. I am not asking about photo-period cloning or seed producton
[/FONT]

zif

Veteran
I'm not sure that matters.

Photoperiod varieties do not seem to have any kind of global signaling of floral initiation - branches that get 12/12 flower, while others will not. So there it does seem like PGRs would be unlikely to work.

But autoflowers do seem to have some kind of signaling, as without obvious bud-site stimuli, all branches flower at once. The role of stress / pot size in initiation also suggests some communication from roots to tops, at least. Presumably one or more small molecules are involved?

It seems like the detailed mechanics of cannabis floral initiation are still an open question - at least I couldn't find anything obviously relevant in Sam's bibliography.

I'd be surprised if PGRs could inhibit flowering. Can you use PGRs to make a 'normal' strain flower under continuous light? RNAi might work but you'd need to know more about what gene causes the autoflower mutation.

https://isaaa.org/resources/publications/pocketk/34/default.asp

Latest posts

Latest posts