What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

PASSED Georgia House, MMJ bill

StayHigh149

Haleigh's Hope bill885 passed the GA House 3/3/14, now to Senate...passed 171 yay, 4 nay

On Monday, Georgia state legislators approved the bill brought by State Rep. Allen Peake, R-Macon, that would allow those suffering from severe seizures and seizure-related disorders to take a form of medical marijuana.

The bill now goes to the state Senate.

Last week, the passing of the bill appeared doubtful, as there is no local source for marijuana in the state because of both federal and state law restrictions. Georgia CARE Project’s James Bell, an activist for marijuana reform laws, declared Peake’s bill “dead.” Peake rewrote the bill last week to address the issue of cultivation, and now with the bill passing easily, Bell is feeling relief, but is quick to point out remaining issues.

“We certainly are excited the issue was debated and are pleased with response from the House,” Bell said. “It remains to be seen how effective the law will be. We still need to expand the law and make it less cumbersome. I have mixed feelings about it.”

Bell is in favor of comprehensive use of cannabis, like with the marijuana laws recently passed in Colorado. He would like to see as many outlets as possible and expand marijuana use beyond the treatment of seizures. Bell feels with the bill passing the House, the door to future legislation may become less restrictive.

“I expect by next session a more comprehensive bill will be introduced,” Bell said. “Top filers of the bill seem to be open to a broader piece of legislation. Mr. Peake wanted to focus on restrictions in order to get the bill passed.”

Peake initially introduced the bill in response to meeting a constituent’s 4-year-old daughter, Haleigh Cox, who suffers from severe seizures as a result of Lennox-Gestaut syndrome. Peake accelerated the bill in order to help children like Cox.

One of those children is Newnan’s Matthew McKoy. McKoy is 5 years old and has optic pathway glioma, as well as a tumor on his spinal cord. The issues McKoy faces render him vulnerable to dangerous seizure episodes. His mother, Katie McKoy, calls her son “medically fragile” and says FDA-approved drugs are not viable long term.

“The seizure medications on the market today are known to cause damage, such as kidney and liver,” McKoy said. “Cannabis oil has very minimal side effects, and has been shown to shrink tumors, especially the kind Matthew has.”

Approved medications are not a long-term option for many families like the McKoys, nor is moving to Colorado. Hopefully, options will broaden soon in Georgia.

“We’re thrilled that it passed but we have a very long battle ahead of us,” said McKoy, who applauded lawmakers, as did Bell, for educating themselves on new matters.

“Once you learn the facts and see the data, it’s pretty much a no-brainer,” she added.

Bell, like McKoy, is thinking of the children who could be immediately impacted in their quality of life, as well as children yet to come.

“It’s not a selfish thing,” Bell said. “People are looking to the future to be pioneers. It’s a long-term vision these parents have.

“I’m proud of Allen Peake, I’m proud of the parents who stood up there and were heard. They could have run off to Colorado but they chose to stay here and fight,” he added.

Among the biggest debates, according to the Associated Press, was a plan to let people suffering from the side effects of cancer treatment, glaucoma and some seizure disorders to take products derived from cannabis oil in the hope it will ease their symptoms.

The cannabis could be given to patients orally, as a liquid or pill, or administered by injections. Peake said the cannabis could bring relief for children who suffer from hundreds of seizures daily. He said cannabis oil is low in THC, the active ingredient that produces the marijuana high.

"It is not a slippery slope toward legalization of cannabis for recreational use," Peake said. "I stand firmly against that direction and will fight it with all my energy."

Several politicians acknowledged they were initially reluctant to change statewide drug policy during an election year, but Peake urged them not to delay by setting up study committees or holding the bill until next year.

"We cannot move fast enough," he said.

Janea Cox hugged her daughter, 4-year-old Haleigh, during the vote, according to the Associated Press. Haleigh has up to 100 seizures daily, and her mother and other parents have lobbied for the legislation.

“We are all so overwhelmed right now," Cox said, crying. "We had so much support in there I can't imagine it not passing. It's crazy to be a part of history. I think we're all in shock right now.”

StayHigh149

yep. Fl passed the same type of bill.
Fl also has a vote for a more comprehensive bill on the ballot for November.

MrGoodBudz

Veteran
So growing thc cannabis as a caregiver is still not legal? No centers or dispensaries either? What does this bill really mean in a practical sense? Looks like dad can only grow CBD strains for his children at this point. I understand that is progress. Just not practical IMO. Any further insight from some locals here??? My family is in Florida as I am from. Would really love a reason to move home for a little and help my loved ones. Seems to early for me tho???

iBogart

Veteran
I wouldn't be jumping up and down over this. I believe this only covers CBD and CBD non-psychoactive type strains of cannabis.

Bad hippie. No THC for you!

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The GA bill requires obtaining CBD from elsewhere - it requires residents to become interstate drug traffickers, if they can find a state that will sell to out-of-state visitors. In order to torpedo the bill they had no intention of actually sending to the governor, while saying to parents "we're with you", the Senate added a totally unrelated issue, autism insurance, so it goes back to the House for a vote on that. Isn't every other kid diagnosed with some form of autism now? Either vote against the children or double insurance premiums. They have 2 hours to decide, if everyone hasn't gone home already, since the working "year" in GA is 40 days, ending now.

dddaver

Veteran
"Mama always said, stupid is as stupid does." Surprise! We all knew the GA legislature was stupid. Is anyone really surprised by this?

itisme

Veteran
Yeah the GA BILL sux balls and I hate the bill. That said, It leaves the door open to state in court that Marijuana is medicine and that we need it for that purpose. Once they have admitted it is medicine they are going to start losing a lot of battles in the courts.....The lies are falling apart. We just have to make sure we have some control over this and the GA BILL leaves very little for GA residents to be happy about.

itisme

Veteran
"Mama always said, stupid is as stupid does." Surprise! We all knew the GA legislature was stupid. Is anyone really surprised by this?

In the last 20 years or so AUTISM has went from 1 in 20,000 to 1 in 88. I say GMO's, vaccines, and all the chemicals they spray on GMO foods are doing this but of course.....Monsanto disagrees.

FL has not passed a bill. One bill has been through the subcommittee and on to the next subcommittee. There are currently 6 bills on the docket in FL., 2 of which are recreational. One is just a definition of "cannabis".
The good news is that there is movement this year compared to sitting in subcommittee and then dying.
Amendment 2 will be on the Nov ballot and polls show at 80% in favor.

itisme

Veteran
Very true Swamp Yankee, not that we like the legislation but any progress in the South on this issue is great to see.

Cannagirl

In Florida it's called 'Charlottes Web' regarding the help for children. Medicinal will be on the ballot in 2014 thanks to John Morgan and United For Care. Correct about the high percentage of support... keeping fingers crossed for one more state.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The biggest mistake of my entire professional life was to move to this 3rd world hell hole.

I'm glad that shitty thing did not pass. State run and distributed MMJ is NOT what WE WANT or NEED.

The biggest mistake of my entire professional life was to move to this 3rd world hell hole.

I'm glad that shitty thing did not pass. State run and distributed MMJ is NOT what WE WANT or NEED.

Damn man it can't be that bad?! We aren't that back ass wards. HAHAHAHA

I agree the final bill was a joke. If Renee Unterman would have kept her ass out of it, the originally bill would have passed. Although not ideal, I have a friend who's son would have benefited greatly from it. The new proposed bill drafted by GA care project is better still not ideal.