What's new

Outdoor growing in West Ireland ?

Alcan

Hello Irish Growers,

My cousin in the West of Ireland, situated around south Galway is currently attempting an outdoor grow with some Arjan Haze Ultra Haze 2 and Mikado seeds. I keep in touch with him regularly and last time we chatted he was having a lot of issues with getting his seedlings to flourish. Since I am based on West Coast of the USA, I cannot offer any specific advice given that the growing conditions are much different over here. I guess the qst I would like to throw out to my Irish friends here is , have you guys been experiencing any issues with the weather there right now in terms of outdoor grows and starting your seedlings?.....he thinks its the weather that is hampering his grow efforts ...although I recall he having some good success with SAGE seeds a few years back.....anybody is free to chime in here and see if I can pass on any info to him next time we chat ....

also he is using I believe some commercial growing soil , when I advised him to just clear a little area around an orchard to plants his seeds and avail of the really rich and nutrient dense soil at that location., but he passed on that idea......any tips on good potting soil available in Irish hort centers or stores ?

Thanks again and happy 2011 growing season to you all!

C

COOKIE MONSTER

:wave: Alcan and welcome to the Paddy forum.

Yes the weather is not exactly helping anybody's outdoor grow this year, April had great weather with much sun shine and above average temps.

May to present is a different story, too much rain and overcast skies with below average temps especially at night, seedlings will need to be brought inside at night to give them the best chance until the weather gets back to normal.

Soil I cant help you with but perhaps one of the other guys can point you in the right direction.

Alcan

Thx...cm.....what is up the weather over there ?.....I hear that the temps are pretty low for this time of year....
As for yourself....do you grow outdoors ?.....and any seed strains that you use or have heard being able to put up a good fight against the Irish Summer .......I rem my cos tried some SAGE before and even with harsh weather conditions, they seemed to battle their way to harvest....actually I saw them when I visited there a few years back and the stems were almost as hard as oak from the high winds at that time.....
He misses the chance to toke as there are no disp or med mj clinics there and is currently peesed that the weather is not lending itself to better growing ....

C

COOKIE MONSTER

Ah sure the weather over here is like a woman shopping for shoes....it cant make it's mind up what it wants to do.

Sage must surely be a late harvest plant over here, I've never grown it but I'd imagine it must be at least Oct. if not Nov?

I'd highly recommend Esbens HFH seeds. https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65703

Alcan

Hehe....sounds similar to weather in Nor Cal........and like a new hippie shopping for sandals....cant make up its mind what to do ....lol
I will pass on the rec for HFH seeds and see if he wants to take a look.....
you are right on about SAGE being a late harvest.....early Oct I rem .....and some decent buds believe it or not.....but you know there must be alot of peeps looking at growing their own in Ireland as I heard about the problems there with the economy and many cutting back on drinking out nowadays etc...as most want to save where they can ..
thx man

jagle

start indoors plant outside when they are past the seedling stage, im on the west, tho not as harsh as galway, ive 12 plants ourdoors all doing fine, small but fine

Sorry to be a bit negative but I think anything with haze in it won't have a hope in Ireland of finishing before frosts arrive and the sunlight when the weather is good just won't be intense enough.
Maybe C99 for a sativa?

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
Cant c99 be a little mold prone? Seem to remember from the large outdor growers thread that it was (even in cali) down to finding the right c99 pheno or a good cross

ace seeds or ugorg have a sativa/haze called something like old timers that does well in the uk

johnny c

Sorry to be a bit negative but I think anything with haze in it won't have a hope in Ireland of finishing before frosts arrive and the sunlight when the weather is good just won't be intense enough.
Maybe C99 for a sativa?
i agree. sorry dude but arjans haze will never finish right in ireland. hollands hope is your best bet at a quick finisher
hope this helps

C

COOKIE MONSTER

hollands hope is your best bet at a quick finisher
hope this helps

Hollands hope will grow over here but it flowers in September and is prone to mould so you need a good Autumn or it will be an early chop.

Strains grown in the Nordic countries are more suitable for our climate, take a look at the HFH sub-forum on this site.