What's new

Original Hempen Ale

G

(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain with hemp seeds)
OG = 1.054 FG = 1.014 IBU = 36 SRM = over 30 ABV = 5.2%

Steve Nordahl, former head brewer at Frederick Brewing Company and the originator of (commercial) Hempen Ale told the story of how his hemp beer came to be in a 1999 story in BrewYour Own Magazine. Hempen Ale was originally meant to be a dark beer, with the flavor of roasted hemp seeds playing a large role in the flavor profile of the beer. However, roasting hemp seeds wasn’t viable on a commercial scale. (Coffee roasters had the wrong equipment and malting companies feared cross-contamination.) So, the commercial beer was pale in color. Here, however, is the original recipe for Hempen Ale. [Note: In the US, it is legal to possess (and brew with) sterilized hemp seeds. (An internet search will reveal multiple sources for the seeds.) These seeds contain only a trace of THC (the active ingredient in marijuana) and have no psychoactive effects. However, it is possible that consuming hemp beer may cause you to test positive on some modern drug tests. Use your best judgement of your situation when brewing this beer.]

Ingredients
10 lbs. (4.5 kg) 2-row pale malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) Munich malt
1.0 oz. (28 g) black patent malt
1.5 lbs. (0.68 kg) mild hemp seed (roasted)
4.5 AAU Cascade hops (90 mins)
(0.75 oz./21 g of 6% alpha acids)
4.5 AAU Cascade hops (45 mins)
3 AAU Cascade hops (10 mins)
(0.5 oz./14 g of 6% alpha acids)
4.5 AAU Cascade hops (0 mins)
1 tsp. Irish moss
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) or White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) yeast
0.66 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
Place hemp seeds on a cookie sheet and roast in a 450 °F (232 °C) oven for 30 minutes. Mash grains and hemp seeds with 3.5 gallons (13 L) of water; hold mash at 156 °F (69 °C) for 60 minutes. Sparge with 170 °F (77 °C) water to collect 5.75 gallons (22 L) of wort. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops at times indicated. Add Irish moss with 15 minutes left. Cool wort, transfer to fermenter, aerate and pitch yeast. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C) for 10 days. Bottle or keg.

Extract with grains option:
Replace 2-row and Munich malt with 2.25 lbs. (1.0 kg) Muntons Light dried malt extract, 4.0 lbs. (1.8 kg) Alexanders Pale liquid malt extract, 0.5 lbs. (0.23 kg) 2-row pale malt and 1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) Munich malt. Place hemp seeds on a cookie sheet and roast in a 450 °F (232 °C) oven for 30 minutes. Heat 1 1/8 gallons (4.3 L) of water to 167 °F (75 °C). Place crushed grains and hemp seeds in a steeping bag and submerge bag in this water. Steep for 45 minutes, holding temperature around 156 °F (69 °C). Remove bag and let drip dry. Combine “grain tea,” dried malt extract and water in brewpot to make 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) of wort. Boil wort for 90 minutes, adding hops at times indicated. Add Irish moss and liquid malt extract with 15 minutes left. Cool wort, transfer to fermenter. Top up with water to 5 gallons (19 L). Aerate wort and pitch yeast. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C).

Sleepy

Veteran
silly when you think about it, but they had to import sterilized hemp seeds from china to produce the brew.

i think i still have a T-shirt! :sasmokin:

G

I was thinking the same thing, but I would think that if you took it a step ferther, and say added some Kif, it would have the nutty flavors of the toasted hemp seeds and the buzz from both the alcohol and the THC....

But hey, it's just a thought....

Flowerman

Dank, Seeds themselves contain little to no thc (cannabinoids), in other words it's too small to even measure. Now the surrounding bractlets have the highest amount, in which case they were probably measuring. But over all, if one uses seeds from hemp, or ones from powerful strains, it remains the same when it comes to cannabinoids. I find it weird that seeds are illegal, and some are not, when in fact they can't tell which is which when it all comes out, unless they were to grow them out.
But anyway, it seems like a wonderful recipe to brew no doubt. I mean it sounds wonderful!!!

G

I would think that 1 1/2 lbs of hemp seeds in 5 gallons of beer would leave enough trace amounts of THC to make you fail a UA.. Remember most THC test for employment and probation have a cut off limit of 50 nanograms levels under 50 nanograms are usually undetectable for most testing procedures.