What's new

Odd plant - Anyone seen this before?

Dr.Mantis

Hey everyone,

On my last hunt I ran some Kentucky Red Hair Skunk F2 from Oldschoolchronic. They truly seemed like F2s to me, as they were all quite different.

Anyone there was one very peculiar lady, here is one of the clones. Grows slow, self tops, and has these weird leaves and stems. She also doesn’t seem to receptive of pollen (tbd), and roots very quickly.

I though maybe it was a boron issue, but the liberal application of boric acid solution (2ppm) didn’t change anything. Similar growth under LED and CMH.

Still a noob here, thanks!
49DC51A2-87FB-47EF-94F7-B1DAD72CC963.jpeg
9A33B259-B596-4FB8-807C-557498FC377B.jpeg

TheDarkStorm

Wow, I hope im wrong....but that looks seriously mited out bad......look up russet and hemp mites and the damage they do......also broad mite.......to be safe you need to make sure no other plants go near that all....and wash your hand ect till you work out the problem.
Also from the picture it looks like your stem is rotted...might just be the pictures...but were the stem nearly meets the soil it looks like lots has wore away...or is that just the picture....was you watering onto the stem or have a drip line going at some point...check if its ok.

Last edited:

Dr.Mantis

Wow, I hope im wrong....but that looks seriously mited out bad......look up russet and hemp mites and the damage they do......also broad mite.......to be safe you need to make sure no other plants go near that all....and wash your hand ect till you work out the problem.
Also from the picture it looks like your stem is rotted...might just be the pictures...but were the stem nearly meets the soil it looks like lots has wore away...or is that just the picture....was you watering onto the stem or have a drip line going at some point...check if its ok.
Thanks,

I had though it was pests as well. However, I have checked both the “old” and “new” leaves multiple times at 40x and 100x and there are no visible bugs or fungal hyphae. Also, the seedling this came from was this was since the day she popped. Additionally, the mom and the clones have been growing with many other plants neck and neck over that last two grows with no issues. The stem at the base isn’t rotted, just some dirt that got kicked up from taking the photo.

The lady also sheds her old leaves and thins her own canopy. I probably would have killed her off a while ago, because she had no redeeming qualities, but she’s just so weird I had to keep her around,

Dr.Mantis

Could it be a virus? I never had any in my grows but I know they can distort leaves and create spots on the leaves.
I think that is certainly a possibility, but im not well versed in plant viruses. My other though was just a genetic bottleneck. Even though it’s a F2, the parent stock apparently came from a ky grower who has been growing the parent seeds for years. So, while it’s an F2 from oldschool, the parent stock may be much more inbred. Does anyone have any pictures of plants that have lost vigor due to too much inbreeding?

TheDarkStorm

Thanks,

I had though it was pests as well. However, I have checked both the “old” and “new” leaves multiple times at 40x and 100x and there are no visible bugs or fungal hyphae. Also, the seedling this came from was this was since the day she popped. Additionally, the mom and the clones have been growing with many other plants neck and neck over that last two grows with no issues. The stem at the base isn’t rotted, just some dirt that got kicked up from taking the photo.

The lady also sheds her old leaves and thins her own canopy. I probably would have killed her off a while ago, because she had no redeeming qualities, but she’s just so weird I had to keep her around,
Cool.....I would re check for the mites though...all that leaf damage...colour fading on some leaves....that blistering...and edge rolling...ditching...and almost wet look are all classic mite signs....the buggers hardly move and hide in all the folds near the leaf veins....they are hard to spot..and are very very small not like a normal pest as these are micro....Anyway best of luck....hope you get it all sorted

Last edited:

Dr.Mantis

Cool.....I would re check for the mites though...all that leaf damage...colour fading on some leaves....that blistering...and edge rolling...ditching...and almost wet look are all classic mite signs....the buggers hardly move and hide in all the folds near the leaf veins....they are hard to spot..and are very very small not like a normal pest as these are micro....Anyway best of luck....hope you get it all sorted
Yeah, you got me paranoid lol.

I grabbed a leaf with pronounced crinkled edges and looked at the base where the leaf fingers emerge. Nothing on the loop so I cut a piece of the curled leaf off and took a look under the scope. Nothing at 40x or 100x.

Here are some bad photos in case anyone has a better eye than I do. They 100x are too hard to get with my camera. The white dots are pixel saturation fyi. I had to image stack to get the whole frame of view in focus.
AB880D42-38A6-4045-825B-2CF48A0A9557.jpeg
B9F9DF1A-5F31-47DE-B308-22C1EBF5A2B9.jpeg
15EBFE12-C9A9-4FDA-89DA-1224D12C2FB1.jpeg
32947F10-7FE9-4C10-9E8B-B44764671214.jpeg
86C62506-AB40-4978-BAAF-80D6A19F0DCB.jpeg

TheDarkStorm

Yeah, you got me paranoid lol.

I grabbed a leaf with pronounced crinkled edges and looked at the base where the leaf fingers emerge. Nothing on the loop so I cut a piece of the curled leaf off and took a look under the scope. Nothing at 40x or 100x.

Here are some bad photos in case anyone has a better eye than I do. They 100x are too hard to get with my camera. The white dots are pixel saturation fyi. I had to image stack to get the whole frame of view in focus.
View attachment 18830928
View attachment 18830929
View attachment 18830930
View attachment 18830931
View attachment 18830932
You have to zoom in more.....these pictures are....one of typical damage...and two how close up you have to go and what your looking for.

example-broad-mite-damage-cannabis-glossy-blistered-leaves-xsm.jpg
IMG_5648-scaled-e1625768662978.jpg

TheDarkStorm

Id prefer to be wrong on this....but id rather you check and are sure an I be wrong...belive me these are one of the most destructive pests know to cannabis .....and id rather be wrong but give you the info to arm yourself....hopefully you find the plants are fine and you have the info a knowledge for the future....in worst case...at least if it is them you can look up what to do.....every one should know the signs and what to look for with these and do regular checks....they are one of the worst problems to come about.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was just about to show a leaf with Russet mite damage, you got one posted.. These are extremely small which makes them hard to see. Broads are also super tiny and more common. 2 spotted mites cause different damage that is easy to spot.

hemp-figure-1-hemp-russet-mite.jpg

Having said that.. Yours looks like it could be Low Humidity or heat damage more to me.

Last edited:

Dr.Mantis

I’m open to it being mites as well, but the thing is, there’s nothing under my microscope.

Even at 100x or 1000x! I can see single cell yeast and bacteria at 1000x for reference. Here is another leaf I just looked at 40x mag, this time with scale bars, nada!

0E0853DC-48AF-4C3B-BD82-6AABFB8F7FFA.jpeg
53ECFDE8-5884-4256-9078-881990D1E074.jpeg

And the original mom. Again, she and her clones have quite literally been rubbing against at least 10 other plants their whole lives with no “transfer” of whatever this is. I’m stumped!
F2006A87-8EBE-4DCC-AECD-857E9186995D.jpeg

Piff_cat

Hey everyone,

On my last hunt I ran some Kentucky Red Hair Skunk F2 from Oldschoolchronic. They truly seemed like F2s to me, as they were all quite different.

Anyone there was one very peculiar lady, here is one of the clones. Grows slow, self tops, and has these weird leaves and stems. She also doesn’t seem to receptive of pollen (tbd), and roots very quickly.

I though maybe it was a boron issue, but the liberal application of boric acid solution (2ppm) didn’t change anything. Similar growth under LED and CMH.

View attachment 18830870
View attachment 18830871

It's an aneuploid extra single chromosomes creating unbalanced gene dosages. Self topping, extra phytohormones, unusual number of branches varigation all symptoms of aneuploid. What's really interesting is the source of seedsbin Kentucky tells us xinijiang landraces in the pedigree. Tge nw china seed/oil hemp type plants were imported into Kentucky in mid 1800s and are totally different from Fibre hemp. Cornbread mafia genetics stand out due to these Xinjiang parents.
Many seed hemp lines/wild types from xinijiang have 0 cbd and considerable thc/cbc/cbn

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
I've grown my fair share of runty slow mutated plants. Just looks like a mutant. Have you flowered it yet? Had a plant that was like that for a year. Eventually it started to grow normal. At the end it was a mostly sativa plant that stretches out of control and hits 6 feet in a 2 gallon pot.
20230831_214746.jpg

Brother Nature

My first thought was mites too, but I don't see the stippling you'd see with most mites. You may have a mutant on your hands. If you have the space to separate and grow it out, that would be cool to see, though I'd also spray it down with some kind of mite killer to make sure that isn't in fact the issue.

Mandocat

Hey everyone,

View attachment 18830870
View attachment 18830871
Had a couple of outdoor plants, in the ground , last summer that looked like that for a while and eventually worked their way out of it.