What's new

Odd auto indoor plant, too large

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Two of my regular seedbanks quit taking VISA so I tried an unknown. Brand name seeds in stealth packaging was the ad, but none of them grew similar to seeds in breeder packs from other companies.

What was supposed to be "The Purps" did not have any two grow the same at all.
One of them is the focus here.

Thinking it was a photo it remained in the veg area, holding for size. No indication of anything amiss, preflowers were normal. To make up for runts I am usually a plant or two ahead and as this Purps was sparse it got passed on until one day it was too large to go into the bud room.

Having found a home for a previous six foot veg plant I hung onto this one and put word out for someone with a greenhouse.

Four months along it started to bud. It now has leafy buds as big around as my wrists. I whacked off some lower branches and trimmed them, a bit airy but definitely smokable. Another two weeks before they start getting overripe.
Far Red was put on for the six hours off time, those large diameter branches in the photos are solid bud under the cover of Ruderalis leaves.
Rumor has it Far Red may cause denser buds. Far Red was added to the Auto area after 18 months of harvests without Far Red. We shall see.

No idea how or why, but no question these are real buds on an indoor eight foot auto flower of unknown origin.

I will post shots of the trimmed buds when they dry, should have thought of that an hour ago. Small bottom branches not getting light were cut and trimmed, no others.

Having only limited experience with auto flowers this has me puzzled. 120 days before any obvious budding. Eight feet tall. No long night trigger, 18/6 all the way from birth. Yield will be over a half pound.

Is this really as odd as it seems to me?

Attachments

• Sold as 'The Purps' this plant auto flowered and has reached over seven feet tall.jpg
    Sold as 'The Purps' this plant auto flowered and has reached over seven feet tall.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 18-6 indoors, this autoflower reached eight feet before budding.jpg
    18-6 indoors, this autoflower reached eight feet before budding.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Auto flower middle branch.jpg
    Auto flower middle branch.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Flash was shadowed by side light, highlighting the Far Red on this eight foot autoflower.jpg
    Flash was shadowed by side light, highlighting the Far Red on this eight foot autoflower.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 66

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Eight foot three inches, four inches if the bend is straightened.

Hard to judge but the buds seem thin as if they could use another couple weeks. These were the six lowest branches and every inch of the tree is solid with leaves. The buds can be felt but are hard to see, trimming the whole cola is the only way to be sure. One of the pictures is the cut stem and popcorn buds left on the plant as too small for cost effective trimming.
Trimming one cola per day will let the plant mature three more weeks, hopefully it will be full ripe before then and a faster trim can be done.
This is completely new to me, I only did my first regular auto this past year.
Are plants like this available as seeds? I have two acres where the sun almost never sets in the summer but no ability to make it dark.

I sent a trimmer home with a stash of the bud from the dry cola, when I said it was smokable, that was from looking at the nuggets. I found them harsh, but I do not normally smoke bud. When he comes back today he will have smoked nothing but the bud from this plant and will share, then I will know whether this goes into the extract kettle or a curing jar.
He walked in while posting, says it takes two to three bowls...so extract pot it is. Lucky there is lots of it.

Sure would like a repeat if anyone knows why the plant did this.

Attachments

• Trying for a picture where the buds stand out underneath the leaves, not working well, no contra.jpg
    Trying for a picture where the buds stand out underneath the leaves, not working well, no contra.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 70
  • Cut stem trimmed bud came from, popcorn buds were left on plant, only a foot of bud was cut off..jpg
    Cut stem trimmed bud came from, popcorn buds were left on plant, only a foot of bud was cut off..jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Buds were hard, brittle and small, instead of scissors they were rubbed off the branch cola.jpg
    Buds were hard, brittle and small, instead of scissors they were rubbed off the branch cola.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Foreground plants are on three stacked milk crates, the rear plant is on the floor at eight foot.jpg
    Foreground plants are on three stacked milk crates, the rear plant is on the floor at eight foot.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Buds are not very dense off the eight foot auto, eight were taken, a big one was stripped..jpg
    Buds are not very dense off the eight foot auto, eight were taken, a big one was stripped..jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 80

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The buds look to have two or three weeks left, but they looked to have two or three weeks left a month ago.
Any knowledge on the budding traits of a plant like this? Is it going to keep adding buds to the branches forever without finishing?
I am about out of lower buds to snip off and really do not want to destroy the good branches if the buds will mature on them if left alone.

I am unsure and find that frustrating. I can schedule the entire plant for extract and begin the appropriate trim now, or I can wait for denser budding and give it a smoking trim later.
But I am clueless as to which and worry about waiting too long and losing a large amount of yield.
Right now, even with airy buds, the estimate is eight to nine ounces. Solid buds would put it closer to fourteen. A big enough difference to make hoping for another's experience worth waiting for.

Anyone have this happen in a greenhouse in the middle of summer, or any kind of comparable situation?

kelly1376

It's probably some type of superauto. Normally they're a longer maturing auto, but from what I've read, it is fairly common for them to continue growing for a good while. Taken from another site:

Super autos are sativa dominant plants that were bred to be an alternative to long flowering photo strains. Sativa and sativa dominant photo plants often have flowering time of 12 - 16 weeks, sometimes longer, meaning that they often won't finish outdoor until well into November, effectively making them unsuited for most climates. Where dwarf autos were bred from ruderalis, supers were bred from fast flowering photo strains. Supers will generally show sex in about 5 weeks and will finish in about 120 - 140 days. Super autos tend to get a lot bigger than dwarfs and seem to be best suited for outdoor growing as they can get quite tall. I've personally had Super Cali Haze plants reach almost 6' tall when grown outdoors.

You might check out Flash seeds. He seems to have a side specialty in the longer maturing super autos. There are a ton that aren't superauto but look for anything with stitch genes: Number One, Missile 33, Black Samba, Cookie G13, Stitchs love potion, amazing cherry..there are a lot of others. I don't have any experience with them but from browsing other sites flash always comes up in the superauto conversation.

Last edited:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Thank you kelly1376, I went to Flash Seeds website and found a picture of my Bubble Hash Super Auto. Now I even know its name.
I have until the middle of April to get a 120 day super auto garden started and still finish before freeze up.
Here is a picture of a budding plant almost ready for harvest...with two inches of fresh August snow coming down during the night.

Tight scheduling, but you got me the information with enough time to make the summer garden real.
I hope.

Attachments

• Yesterday the sun was out.jpg
    Yesterday the sun was out.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 70

kelly1376

Thank you kelly1376, I went to Flash Seeds website and found a picture of my Bubble Hash Super Auto. Now I even know its name.
I have until the middle of April to get a 120 day super auto garden started and still finish before freeze up.
Here is a picture of a budding plant almost ready for harvest...with two inches of fresh August snow coming down during the night.

Tight scheduling, but you got me the information with enough time to make the summer garden real.
I hope.

That's awesome! I'm curious myself to see what you can do with a good superauto in that environment. I was doing some more browsing and it seems the breeder stitch has also bred some superauto varieties for short stuff seeds. Super cali haze seems to be really popular:

http://shortstuffseeds.com/shortstuff-seedbank-news/what-are-super-autos/

Latest posts

Latest posts