What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Oasis EthylBloc (1-methylcyclopropene) for female to male inversion?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Hi everybody

I stumbled by chance over the product EthylBloc by Oasis (http://sona.oasisfloral.com/ethylbloc/b45e9e26-bd3d-4fed-b6fa-c9253bc6e941) which contains the ethylene inhibitor 1-methylcyclopropene (http://www.kellysolutions.com/erene...7-1-32258_ETHYL_BLOC_8_14_2008_8_56_29_AM.pdf) .
Did anyone ever tried that for sex inversion to make feminized seeds?
Unlike STS, silver nitrate and cobalt chloride, its effect would be transient (might be an advantage depending on the intended goal) and the plant stays heavy metal free (and hence consumable). It might also allow the treated plant to give viable seeds (fron what I've read, STS doesn't).

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
I played with various ethylene blockers a bunch of years ago, this does work to induce staminate flowers on pistillate plants.

I wouldn't recommend anyone consume 1-mcp treated plants though.

STS treated plants do bear viable seed and come up no different than those made on separate clones of the identical genotype...
-Chimera

njlogrider

I have done the opposite . I used Florel which is an Ethylene precursor to increase the ratio of female plants. I started spraying 1 week for the flip to 12-12 . It had a dramatic effect on plants they grew very bushy with lots of small branching in a week. I have only done this once as a experimental trial.

mofeta

Veteran
...consumable).

When used as a gas, like for fruit conditioning, this is probably so, but if used in a way that makes for systemic dissemination in the plant, I wouldn't want to consume it.

There is a big trend in some research circles to investigate the effect of PGRs on animals, humans included. This is very exciting stuff. Check out the recent findings regarding kinetin and mammalian/human physiology. Wow.

Hi Chimera

Long time no talk. It is good to see you around. Maybe you will have more time for the boards soon? Hope to see you around.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
When used as a gas, like for fruit conditioning, this is probably so, but if used in a way that makes for systemic dissemination in the plant, I wouldn't want to consume it.
True, I wouldn't want to consume most PGR treated plants either but too many fruits and vegetables (or at least the trees etc.) came at one point in contact with PGRs and nobody ever declares that ;( . Organic grown veggies are my choice but unfortunately are often too costly for my budged...

Most of the PGRs are used at very small amounts and/or are constitutively expressed in most plants.
I see a problem with chemicals used at high concentrations (e.g. STS) or per se toxic ones. Silver isn't that much of a problem because it tends to oxidise quickly (which makes it a lot less toxic), binds to proteins present in the intestinal tract (nearly no resorption), and should not be too volatile when smoked. Other PGRs like sodium nitrophenolates and many pesticides may be regarded as safe when eaten but no data exists concerning their 'smokability' though their chemical structures often indicate high toxicity.
1-MCP (EthylBloc) is a simple small and highly volatile hydrocarbon; though concerns have been raised in recent years regarding its safety it got approved by several countries since. Hence, it's widely used under the name SmartFresh to increase the shelf-life mainly of apples (allegedly no residues upon consumption) and not only ornamental flower bouquets (i.e. EthylBloc).
Looking at it from 'the stoner side of life': Treated cannabis contains at worst trace amounts after proper drying and burns to CO2 and water without other side products. Apart from ethylene and ethephon (aka florel), no other organic (organic like in organic chemistry) agrochemical comes to my mind with such favourable characteristics.

Last edited: