What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

No true leaves ?

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day Folks

I`ve seen this very rarely in 30 years of growing herb .
This batch of seeds prolly 50 % came up like this . WTF ?

v78FbPgl.jpg

T9u7rtDl.jpg

qqVZuURl.jpg

Suggestions , speculations , conspiracies ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Ive got the same thing happening from seeds that are about 12-15 years old and had been kept under refrigeration during that time. As you said, Ive also seen it rarely in my close to 30+ years of growing. I started about 40 seeds outdoors in a mix of Promix and worm castings and almost all are such as you posted. Got about a 40 % germ rate . Afghani#1 x Black domina and an old,old pack of Growi brand White widow. It will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G`day Cpt A

As far as I know these seeds are only a year or two old .
They were a test batch for a seed maker friend . But I do know he had a broad mite infestation . I`m wondering if thats causative ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

S

sourpuss

Weird hows it smoke:) yield looks pitiful:( hash?:)

seriously thats strange..... maybe its a new thing, no leaves just bud:) from there calyxs will spring forth. Maybe even a golden ticket to skunkmans pot factory:)

Yeah im a dumbass sometimes... spreading smiles is all.....

Granger2

Veteran
What is that that you are growing in? I have to think that there is little air in the mix, and possibly some nutrient extreme or almost total lack of nutes. Good luck. -granger

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G`day Granger

Its coco coir ...
6 other strains were sprouted and are living happily in the same medium .

I have dosed with Great White brand beneficials and feed a one part hydro veg nute . The other strains are progressing as per normal .
The one in the pic has dried out because it hasn`t been watered in a week ...
I kept them aside so as to take a pic to start this thread . The others that had cotyledons only, didnt progress past that stage . Just bigger cotyledons . So they have all been culled .

Its not dependant on the medium . I sprouted seeds from the same batch in soil, and others in perlite / vermiculite mix and they had the cotyledons only syndrome as well .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

timmy

Hey EB,
I've seen quite a few of those pop out of some Strawberry Diesel F2s that weren't stored properly.
And I know the storage conditions were the cause, because they grew fine when they were fresh.

Cheers
Timmy!

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this happened to my ox seeds from RD... they were in a nice airy mixture that was reused to sprout some seeds successfully... I know it was very disappointing

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had that happening a lot and it was earwigs eating the fresh growth. GD pincher bugs!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
seedlings don't need any food that's what the cotyledons are for..I don't feed until the 2nd set of true leaves..

Let it go see if the true leaves grow out. If not it will die.

Betterhaff

Veteran
seedlings don't need any food that's what the cotyledons are for..I don't feed until the 2nd set of true leaves..

Let it go see if the true leaves grow out. If not it will die.

Hello EB,

I agree with Purple Frostbyte.

You may have some starts that aren’t firing on all cylinders (or embryonic development was not adequate). Take a look at the roots if you care to spare a seedling or 2. The first objective of the seedling is to establish some sort of root base before putting energy into meristem development from where the true leaves develop. This energy is coming from the cotyledons. In most cases with MJ true leaves are somewhat developed as the embryo comes alive but not always the case. It may be genetic.

Photosynthesis is limited in the cotyledons, their main purpose is to supply stored energy to the seedling until the first true leaves form, that’s when photosynthesis truly begins to supplying energy. If that doesn’t happen soon enough the stored energy in the cots will be used up and the seedling will die.

The only thing you can do is let them grow and see if they develop. You may want to add a little very diluted fertilizer the longer they stay alive, all depends on the effort you want to expend.

It happens, if you let them grow they may push some leaves out. I have had several that did grow out of it but were multi topped. Best just to drop a few more seed, may take weeks for them to come out of it

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in general gardening terms its called a 'blind' seedling.

ive seen it occasionally with the odd cannabis seedling.. to get so many in a batch is odd and is probably a genetic defect of some kind.

V

mofeta

Veteran
in general gardening terms its called a 'blind' seedling.V

Hi VerdantGreen

Blind seedlings suffer from what is known as "SAM arrest" (Shoot Apical Meristem arrest). This is a problem in some food crops that has recieved some attention in the past few years.

There is definitely a genetic predisposition for this phenomenon that varies from plant to plant.

It seems that the consensus is that the one main environmental factor that can induce SAM arrest is the exposure of the seed to cold temperatures during imbibing.

Something I saw somewhere outlined some interesting tips/techniques for minimizing SAM arrest:

1. Imbibe at room temp
  2. Imbibe at room temp for 2 hours, then dry back out very quickly. The protective effect persists.
  3. Adding some sugars (mannose? I think) to the imbibing water helps significantly.

There are lots of other interesting things/concepts about seeds that fascinate me. I am real busy these days though, so I don't have the time to start discussing them. :mad: Someday.

Latest posts

Latest posts