What's new

No runoff in 4x4 raised bed?

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Long time grower exploring new methods and am new to using raised beds indoors. What’s the water run off situation like for you guys? I don’t really get any and am wondering if I’m doing something wrong.

I have an irrgometer and simply water within living soil range when the girls need it. In the past it’s been barely anything but they’re starting to ramp things and drinking more and more.

I’m just curious what everyone else’s experience is like. I mean other than some leaf clawing the girls are doing pretty well. I’ve been alittle sporadic on watering because I was gone for vacation and they dipped down pretty low but they should be back on track soon.

Attachments

• IMG_6924.jpeg
    IMG_6924.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6920.jpeg
    IMG_6920.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 71

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Long time grower exploring new methods and am new to using raised beds indoors. What’s the water run off situation like for you guys? I don’t really get any and am wondering if I’m doing something wrong.

I have an irrgometer and simply water within living soil range when the girls need it. In the past it’s been barely anything but they’re starting to ramp things and drinking more and more.

I’m just curious what everyone else’s experience is like. I mean other than some leaf clawing the girls are doing pretty well. I’ve been alittle sporadic on watering because I was gone for vacation and they dipped down pretty low but they should be back on track soon.
Looking good friend. If you need to know if the bottom is wet or dry just dig down with your hand and feel.

Azeotrope

Veteran
I grow in 45-60 gallon fabric pots and really don't get or expect to get any run off except for the first watering or two which is really just to verify that the medium is evenly loaded to start. I follow a practice of just reading the plants feeling under the mulch. During explosive growth and heavy flower development, I find myself watering in a pattern of 5gallons one day then 2 gallons a few days later and then 5 gallons again about 4 days later and so on. It really is just by feel after 20+ years and I do not always get it right.

I used to enlist blu-mat cones and that was super helpful.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
I grow in 45-60 gallon fabric pots and really don't get or expect to get any run off except for the first watering or two which is really just to verify that the medium is evenly loaded to start. I follow a practice of just reading the plants feeling under the mulch. During explosive growth and heavy flower development, I find myself watering in a pattern of 5gallons one day then 2 gallons a few days later and then 5 gallons again about 4 days later and so on. It really is just by feel after 20+ years and I do not always get it right.

I used to enlist blu-mat cones and that was super helpful.
Thanks for the info. Overall, I’ve loved this method although I do wish it was easier to flashes I’m dealing with a bit of nitrogen toxicity at the moment. I think my soil was two fresh should’ve let it sit for a while before I started using it.

Azeotrope

Veteran
Thanks for the info. Overall, I’ve loved this method although I do wish it was easier to flashes I’m dealing with a bit of nitrogen toxicity at the moment. I think my soil was two fresh should’ve let it sit for a while before I started using it.
Nitrogen and Phosphorous are generally present in higher concentrations than people realize as it is. I tend to get "the claw" from time to time and it is usually too much alfalfa meal that does it in my garden.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Hmm… I ended up probing all over my 4x4 with a meter, and while it’s not the most accurate thing it was in the 4.0s in most places, and 3.0 in one area. Been having some life stresses and haven’t been keeping an eye on the PH as closely, though I always Ph water.

All in all it may just be a PH problem, so I flooded the bed with 10 gallons of my rain water without adjusting the PH. It’s usually in the 8s when I start so I figure it will balance it out alittle. I’m hoping I wasn’t too excessive but it’s a big bed and to soak those roots ten gallons seemed like a min to penetrate. Would love your thoughts though mate, as you’ve obviously been doing this a lot longer than I have.