What's new

Need advice - soil mix

firetech89

High,

Getting ready to make a batch of soil. Does this look like correct ratios, should anything be added or removed?
20240316_101117.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
High,

Getting ready to make a batch of soil. Does this look like correct ratios, should anything be added or removed?
View attachment 18974144
That looks good friend, however, it seems like a lot of lime to me. Pro mix # 4 is what? Do you mean Sunshine mix #4? Mix it up and keep us posted on the results. It would be interesting to see how it works for you.

firetech89

That looks good friend, however, it seems like a lot of lime to me. Pro mix # 4 is what? Do you mean Sunshine mix #4? Mix it up and keep us posted on the results. It would be interesting to see how it works for you.
Thanks Creeper, yes it is sunshine #4 my bad. What would be the negative consequences of that much lime? I did mix it up yesterday, however don't plan on using it till mid/end of May. If it is too much lime, anything I can do to balance it?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks Creeper, yes it is sunshine #4 my bad. What would be the negative consequences of that much lime? I did mix it up yesterday, however don't plan on using it till mid/end of May. If it is too much lime, anything I can do to balance it?
All you can do is wait, friend. Have you ever tried this recipe before now?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was going to ask the same.. Sunshine#4 is 5.5-5.8 after adding everything the pH will drop. Fresh mixed it will be hot. Wait at least 10 days. Make a slurry and test the pH. Add lime if needed to get back to 5.5-6.
Lime is used as a PH buffer.. It keeps the PH stable..

Last edited:

PadawanWarrior

I was going to ask the same.. Sunshine#4 is 5.5-5.8 after adding everything the pH will drop. Fresh mixed it will be hot. Wait at least 10 days. Make a slurry and test the pH. Add lime if needed to get back to 5.5-6.
Lime is used as a PH buffer.. It keeps the PH stable..
6.2-6.8 would be better for organic soil.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
6.2-6.8 would be better for organic soil.
Sunshine bag will be 5.5-6. All soilless bags are in this range. It's up to you where you want the end base mix pH to be. Microbes prefer a neutral ph. I feed at a ph of 6.4 using any bagged soliless. There all at 5.5 - 6 right out of the bag.

Latest posts

Latest posts