What's new

mutant mouse is not afraid of cats

The cat will eat the mouse before they get too familiar.

lol great progress in genetical engineering "we think we can now make animals that are not afraid of their natural predators."

I wonder if there's a gene for me too so I wouldn't fear po po...

G

That's great to watch, Tom and Jerry just chillin, who would've thought it.

G

It is progress, actually. It helps scientists understand the roles of genetics and behavior. It wasn't about producing the end product, it was about understanding the way the end product came to be.

newbgrow

It sure is progress, scientists are figuring out how to manipulate anything these days. A part of me wonders, though, whether or not this will ultimately be for the good of mankind. You know Monsanto, making genetically modified corn that's 8 times more likely to spread and breed with common corn, because it's like super-hybridization. Somewhere in this story, there's a side effect that scientists will miss, because they're not perfect, or they're too focused on the goal.

Just the other day, the figured out how to splice genes and DNA together to fight sickle cell. There's something unsettling about putting 'natural selection' in the hands of a few priveleged of mankind.

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
It isn't that the mouse isn't afraid, the cat just happens to be a giant pussy.

L

Lune TNS

I really don't like any form of genetic modification, millions of years of evolution don't need any messing with, I don't think most people reallize what devastating effects experiments like this can have.

In other news, I'm diggin' that Olay commercial... :smoke:

med_breeder

on a similar note
did anyone see the glow in the dark cats
that were genetically engineered by the south koreans.

peace

Mr. M. Yass

Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic infection known to cause behavior changes in humans and animals.

Funny they use a cat and mouse as their test, because toxoplasmosis is most common in cats and mice are carriers.

The parasitic infection actually causes the mice to become stupid, and very brave, just like the mouse in the video, thus causing the cat to eat said mouse, infecting itself and completing it's lifecycle. Pretty interesting, as I wasn't able to get sound on the vid, just made me think of it.

We think we're so fukkin' smart. We've got single-celled organisms reprogramming brains, probably for eons. No labs, no equipment, no "rational thought", doing the same thing. When are we going to realize our limited knowledge on this type of stuff may one day bite us in a big way. Me personally, I'm comfortable living until I'm 45, as long as I'm FREE. Pursuits such as this only serve to weaken the human race.

Here's a link that summarizes toxoplasmosis:

http://www.viewzone.com/toxo.html

G

Mr. M. Yass said:
Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic infection known to cause behavior changes in humans and animals.

Funny they use a cat and mouse as their test, because toxoplasmosis is most common in cats and mice are carriers.

The parasitic infection actually causes the mice to become stupid, and very brave, just like the mouse in the video, thus causing the cat to eat said mouse, infecting itself and completing it's lifecycle. Pretty interesting, as I wasn't able to get sound on the vid, just made me think of it.

We think we're so fukkin' smart. We've got single-celled organisms reprogramming brains, probably for eons. No labs, no equipment, no "rational thought", doing the same thing. When are we going to realize our limited knowledge on this type of stuff may one day bite us in a big way. Me personally, I'm comfortable living until I'm 45, as long as I'm FREE. Pursuits such as this only serve to weaken the human race.

Here's a link that summarizes toxoplasmosis:

http://www.viewzone.com/toxo.html

If it wasn't for the study of genetics, some people may not have been saved from diseases or deficiences they have. I bet they're thankful for things like the study of genetics...

Mr. M. Yass

journies said:
If it wasn't for the study of genetics, some people may not have been saved from diseases or deficiences they have. I bet they're thankful for things like the study of genetics...

That's all fine and dandy, however that is not how it is supposed to work.

Now all these people, who are ever so grateful for the study of genetics, are walking around, living, and propagating their gene line.

Now we have defective gene lines intermixing far beyond when nature would have put a screeching halt to it by way of natural selection.

Unless you think these guys know better than billions of years of evolution, that is...

Mr. M. Yass

Hey thanks for posting, I do find that sort of stuff interesting. I just look at it from the standpoint: What the **** do we know?

I just stand against messing with that sort of thing -- we've gotten this far. I do have compassion for these people that benefit, I just view such treatments as prolonging suffering through future generations.

Kind of like sending food to starving African children. Breaks my heart seeing that stuff, however doing food drops over there only prolongs the suffering, causing reproduction on a land that is already obviously insufficient for the existing population. Same thing with gene therapy.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
SM907~Itchy-Scratchy-Posters.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts