What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

More Questions about Signs of Seed Maturity, bio-chemistry etc.

RoadRash

There seems to be a connection between the viability of new seeds, and their color.

You can have a seed that is 4 weeks old (4 weeks since pollination), but lighter colored, and a test sprout doesn't sprout after 5 days.

But a darker seed, from the same patch, about the same size - and it sprouts.

It's not any bigger. Perhaps it's older.

But - why does the dark seed sprout, and not the lighter-colored seed hatch ? (I
n the case of some strains, I will add, because I don't know if this applies to all Cannabis strains.)

What are the chemical and biological changes that occur in a seed in the last days of its life in a seed brach on the mother plant that seem to be related to seed viability and color ?

Feel free to get as technical as you want, chemistry wise.

On the side, I am experimenting with putting the new lighter-colored seeds in the freezer, to see if that improves viability.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Apply ethylene to green fruits to make them ripen (faster).
It's about the same with ANY seed not only cannabis... look at an immature apple seed and a mature one; one is green and does not sprout the other is brown (and likely does not sprout either because of the hybrid and Monsanto stuff etc....).

Don't know the exact mechanisms; get yourself a good botany book.