What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Mixing Methanol/Tria (also jaz coupons?)

hyposomniac

Veteran
Hello gentlemen,

I've been reading the various PGR threads for a couple years now and feel ready to start playing around.

First things first... if anyone has a JAZ spray coupon code to share, lmk. Now onto business.

I want to mix a methanol/tria spray, 20% and .1ppm respectively.
Below are two relevant posts on the topic, the latter outlines difficulty in the process... So if anyone has successfully done this, please share your experience.

Also if anyone has insight on the calcium nitrate instead of chloride in the methanol I'd like to hear it.
Thanks for reading

Dizzlekush:
"In an optimal Triacontanol stock solution you want:
de-ionized or distilled water (DDW or RODI is best)
Triacontanol
Acetone
Calcium Chloride/Calcium Nitrate
Potassium Hydroxide to adjust pH as needed to at least 8.0 (preferably not above 10.0)
optionally a non ionic surfactant that will not chelate/complex the calcium.
Pure Methanol can be used as a superior substitute of the water/acetone combination if using on C3 or CAM plants (non C4 plants). If methanol is used, use Calcium Nitrate instead of Calcium Chloride."
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4835054&postcount=146

And also
Greeco:
"I tried to make a TRIA stock solution to co-apply BAP with but unfortunately I didn't have any success boiling methanol to fully dissolve the triacontanol. I need to get a hot plate and I will boil the methanol in a test tube submerged in water."
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=5540746&postcount=56

Last edited:

hyposomniac

Veteran
I tried dissolving TRIA in methanol today...

1 gram TRIA into 200mL methanol.. Doesnt dissolve, milky.
Heated the mixture in a water bath.. didnt help, in fact, the TRIA settled out faster when hot.
Melting point of TRIA - 188.6 F
Boiling point of methanol - 148.5

I wasn't comfortable getting the methanol to 188.6.

Step 2.
I got the mixture as dispersed as possible. removed 1mL and added that to another 200mL of methanol... got it hot and, well, it might have dissolved. Didn't see anything settle out after 10 minutes.. So i watered that down to 20% methanol/80% distilled water, and pH'd to 8.5. And assuming all that TRIA is dissolved and my math is correct, it should also contain 5.5ppm TRIA.

I still have 199mL of meoh/1g tria solution to mess around with if anyone has any ideas.. also polysorbate on hand.

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
This seems pretty interesting, however I know nothing about it. What is the goal for the product you're trying to produce. Something that just makes the plant bigger stronger and faster? Pardon my ignorance, I plan on doing some searching now. Love learning more and more. :)

(*edit* oh gosh, I just saw the links. I'm goin blind. sorry)

hyposomniac

Veteran
This seems pretty interesting, however I know nothing about it. What is the goal for the product you're trying to produce. Something that just makes the plant bigger stronger and faster? Pardon my ignorance, I plan on doing some searching now. Love learning more and more. :)

(*edit* oh gosh, I just saw the links. I'm goin blind. sorry)

^nailed it
"Gentlemen, we can rebuild her. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first bionic female. Blueberry x Headband will be that female. Better than she was before. Better...stronger...faster."

OK..

I further refined the mix by watering the TRIA down below 1ppm (.55 theoretically), keeping the methanol at 20% and adding Calcium Chloride (don't know how much, 3 drops from the pure CC reef drops I have), pHed to about 9.
I have some nonionic coco-wet, but will not be adding it at this time.

BayBHuey

La Vida Loca
Veteran
Whats up hyposomniac,

Sounds good what you are doing. Good to hear you did not add the surfactant (coco-wet).
I read that it interferes with the metal ions or something.

But got this thread tagged

BayBHuey