What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Male plant from Feminized seeds

InjectTruth

Recently got a pack of Rocklock Feminized from DNA. Always been more than pleased with their gear, but noticed a strange occurence with these 'fem' beans. I popped two, and one is a definite fem, but the other appears to be a standard male. Not a herm or intersex, but a regular old male.

Well, im glad i didnt just assume and throw it in without checking. Beyond that, however, is the pollen from this type of plant worth anything, or should it be considered the same as 'hermie' pollen from light leaks,etc?

Hard to say to be honest. For example, the seed could have been a "regular" seed that got misplaced into the "feminized" seeds before they sent it to you. In which case, the pollen would be regular pollen and you would have a 50/50 ratio of male to female seeds should you choose to pollinate.

Now for this next part my knowledge runs out so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Hermied plants are initially female plants that produce pollen. I'm pretty sure this is the same pollen used to pollinate other female plants and produce "feminized" seeds.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Hard to say to be honest. For example, the seed could have been a "regular" seed that got misplaced into the "feminized" seeds before they sent it to you. In which case, the pollen would be regular pollen and you would have a 50/50 ratio of male to female seeds should you choose to pollinate.

Now for this next part my knowledge runs out so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Hermied plants are initially female plants that produce pollen. I'm pretty sure this is the same pollen used to pollinate other female plants and produce "feminized" seeds.

Ive had plants that were male and began producing female flowers...

other plants female which began to produce male flowers....

Now those male flowers on a female plant.... can have 2 types....

they would be called biologically imperfect flowers....and imperfect flowers....

Imperfect flowers are known as balls....

perfect hermi flowers called bananas.....

Imperfect flowers mean that any individual flower has only one sex type but have both types on the plant...

perfect types mean that both male and female parts come from the same flower....

I don't recall seeing any plant with both perfect and imperfect flowers on the same plant.....

Id be interested if anyone has.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
Recently got a pack of Rocklock Feminized from DNA. Always been more than pleased with their gear, but noticed a strange occurence with these 'fem' beans. I popped two, and one is a definite fem, but the other appears to be a standard male. Not a herm or intersex, but a regular old male.

Well, im glad i didnt just assume and throw it in without checking. Beyond that, however, is the pollen from this type of plant worth anything, or should it be considered the same as 'hermie' pollen from light leaks,etc?

I don't see much value in that plant at all....

Id send it to the gallows....