What's new

Male flower throws out femal pistal (style, stigma)!?

OK... Time for something a little weird!

We've all seem females throw out male parts... some of us too many times

But have you ever seen a male throw out a girly part!? Check it out:

IMG_1352 (Copy).jpg IMG_1354 (Copy).jpg

The above picture is my back-up male for the La Nina projects I've started. I kept a back-up male in case I didn't like the traits passed on from the one I'm using, or I if I lost it. Took a clone, and here we are in reverse herm town.

Got some questions for the knowledgeable folks though:

Will this male likely produce more hermaphroditic offspring than his more stable brother?
Or!
Will he produce more females because he has elevated levels of female hormones?
Or!
Neither, because it was just a temporary mutation caused by stress from cloning?

Any insights or previous experience would be most welcome :)

northstate

ICMag Donor
Last summer I had three male F-13's and the crinkle leaf most blueberry smelling guy had some branches throw hair just about like vStagger's example. Have yet to run testers on em but should do soon. No idea about the offspring though. NS

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
THanks for the info Tom. Although my males were never S1's they are from SOTF420's IBL. Is this something from the blueberry line coming through? I have planted 5 seeds made from this male, and 4 of them were male, and the one that was female endedu p growing nuts. Any info on this? Thanks again, SL

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This does show up in a Swt #4 male once in awhile, found it in the original F2's from many years ago too. The parents of those F2's showed only true male & female parts visually and never any signs of the opposite sex.

I have never got an intersex female out of any but I too have seen some of these "reverse herm" males as DJ calls them. I believe it comes from the BB intersex Thai ancestry or possibly even Breeder Steve's resinous males that maybe were not true males. Maybe there is something to it there in the male breeder lineage but they are interesting and definitely good discussion matter! :joint:

Stagger you found just one of these in your males right?

All your females have been true sex? :canabis:

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
This does show up in a Swt #4 male once in awhile, found it in the original F2's from many years ago too. The parents of those F2's showed only true male & female parts visually and never any signs of the opposite sex.

I have never got an intersex female out of any but I too have seen some of these "reverse herm" males as DJ calls them. I believe it comes from the BB intersex Thai ancestry or possibly even Breeder Steve's resinous males that maybe were not true males. Maybe there is something to it there in the male breeder lineage but they are interesting and definitely good discussion matter! :joint:

Stagger you found just one of these in your males right?

All your females have been true sex? :canabis:

Actually 2 of the males did this! I've got a photo somewere in the hunderds of them, I never mentioned it before cause I was so blown away by the huge one! That and the other dude wasnt too impressive. So... out of the 5 beans I popped 4 were males, and the 1 "fem" was a herm, but I will definately be popping more of these to see what's truly going on this next round. How rare would it be to have 2 of the same males do this in one pack of beans?? I've never seen it before so I have no frame of reference ( very un-dude) Much love ;) SL

ps... I love sweet tooth #4 IBL (SOTF420) :respect: :canabis:

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yup Stagger it definitely can show up in the males like I said and seems to trace back to the DJ blueberry I think that Steve first used for his F1 crossing and maybe the Bx2 male he used for making some strains was not a "true male" which could explain the high amount of resin described on it, I have seen it in some of the males myself but not too common really. I'm guessing when you popped those first few beans you got the males from two of them were from the same parent plant. I let my big candy GF stud male (the primary pollinator) go a LONG time after using him and flower to total completion and he never grew any pistils at all even as the plant was stressed and water held back and lighting reduced. I still actually have his top male "cola" all dried in a freezer bag and not a pistil or seed in sight I actually just rooted through it a little and triple checked lol damn I wish there was a selfed S1 male seed in him! He was one macho dude there is even a picture of him floating around here somewhere with an Arnold Schwarzenegger head on top of him lol ;)

So... out of the 5 (sweet casey) beans I popped 4 were males, and the 1 "fem" was a herm, but I will definately be popping more of these to see what's truly going on this next round.

To clarify above he is talking about the 5 beans he popped of his cross that was made with his Casey Jones female and the male Swt plant that showed pistils.

Stagger, I think you should definitely pop more of those though man there is a funky frosty Sweet Casey female just waiting to be discovered I know it :biggrin:

Were all your pure Sweet Tooth #4 females true to sex so far? I don't think I have seen a herm yet out of any on here or any I have grown out :canabis:

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
Yes! All of the ladies are true fems ;) . Sexy sexy ladies all the way throuhg :yay: :canabis: But yah bro, I will definately be poppin more of these beans, I can just taste that sweet casey already :canabis: Much love friend! SL :joint:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good info folks of ICMag :)

Looks like I'll be comparing the offspring of this male reverse-herm against my main La Nina male. Also cross it to one of my known herm females to see how that goes.

Latest posts

Latest posts