What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Low Nutrients to enduce "Purpling" of plants

Randy Lahey

I've read that a combination of; "Bright Light, Low nutrients and cool temperature" aids in the process of turning your buds purple.

"Anthocyanin" is built up and starts the chain reaction of making this process happen within the plant....Where plants that are green and then turn yellow build up "Carotensis?" :/ may have spelled that one wrong but whatever.....Anyway, My question to other growers is this....

What "element" in "Low Nutrients" contributes primarily in the reaction of "Anthocyanin" build up??? Soil or Hydroponic...

From looking at tablet chart deficiencies , Low levels of BORON to your growing medium seems to start this Purpling process...

Any truth to this assumption, or have I seriously been misled in my research?

B

Baked Alaskan

I guess people want purple for some reason. Cannabis plants change color just like trees do at the end of the season.

If you want purple plants get a strain that is known to be purple rather than try to do it through other means.

One way to get some strains to go purple is to let them fully mature and start coloring naturally.

It seems like you are trying to force it, this will more than likely hurt yield.

It sounds like you know what you are doing to get color, there are others that know more than me. Good luck.

Randy Lahey

Yeah I'm not really trying to get a great yield, but a documentation and conclusive facts on a trial plant that is a Carotensis variety (where leaves turn yellow) in the aging process of the plants "Seasonal" lifetime by inducing a different growing environment element/chemically or "by the nutrients" available as well as giving a controlled and simulated "Outdoor" envioronment "Indoor" reducing the total daytime temperature to 10C and 5C during the night cycle to see if the Carotensis production can be altered/evolve to produce Anthocyanin given the induced growing conditions.

I was wondering tho is it the Lack of the Element BORON that is Aids in this process reaction. If any growers have ever tried this method successfully with LOW BORON MEDIUMS.

B

Baked Alaskan

Ya, I wasn't sure if I should respond. Just as I figured you are way past how I grow, im rather hands off and not too technical. No offense with my earlier simplistic post. Good luck

Randy Lahey

Low BORON Levels to Stress-Enduce "Purpling" of plants CONFIRMED!

Low BORON Levels to Stress-Enduce "Purpling" of plants CONFIRMED!

I am now convinced that its is IN FACT low BORON levels coupled with COOL TEMPERATURES that can make a CAROTENSIS Variety Cannabis plant "evolve" to it's given "climate" and produce ANTHOCYANIN. Project and observation....Terminated.... Feel free to leave comments!!!! :biggrin:
picture.php

I got no bud to smoke right now so I'm gonna chop down this 5 week preme girl and quick dry me some smoke in tha oven..... haha

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A wise man once told me to test for plants with a better tendency to purple up throw a tray of cuttings in the fridge for a day or two.

Randy Lahey

picture.php

So what I did to ensure that my BORON levels were starved for this plants experiment was, put a thick layer of Pleurocapous Moss on the top of my soil medium to further "suck the life" outta my soil of BORON into the mosses growth. I never gave it any additional nutrients containing any Boron or Borate compunds. Pleurocapous Moss likes to hog up Potassium, Phosporus and Boron in its absorbtion/growth method. And, when it is being used as a top layer "FILTER", it will retain this more than feeding it to your plant by the run off going thru the Moss.

I am not recommending to do this to your plants...Starving your plants of specific elemental nutrients during any cycle can have massive effects on the plants development. Choosing the right moment if you choose to do so tho...is key timing. Even as "Baked Alaskan" said within this thread, "It will most likely hurt your yield!" And he's right...It can!! But if your trying to grow a plant strictly for "ORNAMENTAL" purposes only, maybe for "photography" or maybe just to sit in the corner of your room as a "Decor' Piece" for some reason haha...This is a sure way to achieve those results. Even WITHOUT reducing the TEMPERATURE.

I'm sorry I won't be able to provide more pictures of this experiment. When I saw the change I was trying to achieve it was CONFIRMED to me. But I wanted some friggin smoke last night....or today...whenever the hell it was :laughing: haha
It still did the trick...Bud was (of course) very green and grassy cuz I quick dried the shit in the oven...but it still had some nice skunky flavor as well...Pretty yummy for fresh cut smoke!! :biggrin:

Jaymer

Back-9-Guerrilla☠
Veteran
idk i just had number of strains go purple on me and it could of been from deficiencies and cool temps however there were a few that stayed green w/ same schedule/ same nutrients, the chems were reduced to anthocyanin symptoms before the temps drpped. I think it might have more to do with the salt and clay in the mediums. check Anthocyanin salt, THE RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN SALT STRESS, The Arabidopsis thaliana mutant air1.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Could it be phosphorus?????

weed-posphorous-deficiency.jpg

When your plants are deficient in phosphorus, this can overall reduce the size of your plants causes slow growth and the plant become weak, also slows growth in leaves that may or may not drop off.
The edges all around the leaves or half of the leaves can be brownish and work its way inwards a bit causing the part of the leaves to curl up in the air a bit.
Fan leaves will show dark greenish/purplish and yellowish tones along with a dullish blue color to them. Sometimes the stems can be red, along with red petioles that can happen when having a Phosphorus deficiency.
This isn’t a sure sure sign of you having one though, but can be a sign.
Some strains just show the red petioles and stems from its genes.

So pretty much the overall dark green color with a purple, red, or blue tint to the fan leaves is a good sign of a Phosphorus deficiency.

Randy Lahey

Could it be phosphorus?????

View Image

All articles I've read before on deficiencies have said this was related to Boron deficiency...Which is exactly why I'm sooo curious to this...I know my plant definitely got fed a liquid 2-15-15 N-P-K mix derived from ;AMMONIUM HYDROXIDE, UREA, PHOSPHORIC ACID, POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE.....no BORON or Sodium BORATE compounds....This mix was from a 4Liter container, (measuring cup controlled) to 200mL per day....And with the moss hogging nutrients up too, I used the mix from 2 weeks before flowering until 5 weeks into flowering when the same coloring showed up :)biggrin:nice pic BTW that's what it would have looked like had I kept the plant going longer:biggrin:)...And I don't think it can be a Phosphorus Overdose either from using that mix constantly thru the flowering, as that results in yellowing and dying of leaves, similar to a "Fall Simulation" so to speak when your buds are finishing...:)laughing:depending on when you plant haha:laughing:)

Was this your plant that you ran an experiment on? Or....where was your source info for this information my good sir? I'd like to know all entries of input out there regarding the controversy of this gardening technique! :biggrin:

indica kushman

i never understand why people want colored weed? bag sale value only. i grew "killingfields f3" and it was super purp but the pheno was crap. so looks great/smokes crap. i used to be sucked into colors thinking it was some mystic power bud. but green/blue/black/pink as long as it smokes good and tastes great thats all that matters. although i do enjoy when a good strain does purp up a bit. the ones i got that purp 100% are killingfields,jackberry,anastesia,gdp,purpcheddar. others turn purp depending on genetix or temp (low for purp). concentrate on taste and high's is my theory, colors are bonus beauty.

OakyJoe

TC Nursery est 2020
Veteran
Wikipedia got a nice article in our language, i dont know if its available in english too but look here for a few pH things

This said if pH is:

0-3:red
4-5:none
5-7:purple
7-8:blue
8 and above: yellow

Also Various external factors, environmental influences such as temperature, light and water availability. stress can play a role.

The hole process got postiv and negativ things and mostly all bigger plants got Anthocyane.

Did you know that this effect prevent protein damage in cell and DNA? Also they absord the UV waves from the light and use it to heat the plant.

-> If plants are exposed to strong ultraviolet light or ionizing radiation its stimulates the plant via chemical messengers to the anthocyanproduction.

Jaymer

Back-9-Guerrilla☠
Veteran
I've have noticed that low nutrient methods will induce colored leaves when starting from naturaly purple seed lines. I have purple, blue, and green strains, the most purple are the purple gdp lines, then the blue(blue purps), the chems and rks turn purple from cool temps, it's hard to tell only judging from the finished product though.

My soil medium is a very basic blend that consists of peat moss, fill dirt, recycled general purpose soil, i'm not sure of the pH(most likely high)

with my last round only the gdp nugs were noticeably purple.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts