What's new

Looking for a mentor before I switch careers.

zone 8

I am looking for a mentor in the cannabis industry. I plan on moving to Florida late in 2017, with a steady job. I want to transfer in to the industry, and I am keeping my options open to any section of the industry. It would help greatly if I could find a mentor already in the industry, knowledgeable of the business side.

HarvestMoon303

If I were your mentor, I would say "don't do it". In CO, only the dispensary owner/founder/head xyz make any money. Bud tenders, trimmers, and growers make about 12-14 bucks an hour. There are people who make more, but they were likely in it for a long time. If you have $ or investors, it's different, but joining the industry from nothing is just going to make slightly more than fast food. If you have a career, keep it. I know several tradesman and professionals who left a career in cannabis to do something else. It's a huge pain in the ass with very uncertain compensation (all of the people who I know were paid in CASH, because banks are too sketchy with canna money). Almost anything that you can do as a career would make more $ than being in the industry ($14 an hour is about 27k/year, which is pretty much below the poverty line in many areas.)

starke

Florida is not the place at present. Only 5 or 6 state approved nurseries to grow. So far only 12 doctors in the state approved by the state to prescribe.

DoomsDay

I second harvest moons post. It ducks to admit, but if you're not already very well rooted in the industry at this point, you'll make shit. Even at present there are many of us that have been doing this a while that are hitting harder and harder times due to the influx of amateur growers flooding the market.

It's been an interesting time in the cannabis scene to say the least. Tighten those bootstraps and hang on... it's not over yet

S

sourpuss

Best of luck! Id say if u got the passion do it. Dont let your passion cloud your judgement. Its not about money. Money comes and goes... games a roller coaster ride...

JJ Lowe

It's a great way to supplement income as a part time job. But agreed with previous comments. Don't quit your day job..

Latest posts

Latest posts