What's new

Looking for a camera at Walmart..

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
Hey, I was looking to buy a cheap point and shoot camera to get some better shots of my flowers. I was at walmart, but really didnt know what the best option would be. Does anyone have any suggestions out of these ones, or possibly another suggestion I can search for on ebay/amazon preferably in the $50-$100 range(up to $300 I suppose if really good quality) that will take decent closeups and general pictures w/ lights off?

edit* After looking at the first picture better that's almost certainly not what I'm looking for, my bad. More focused on pictures, not so worried about video

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG1519.jpg
    IMAG1519.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG1520.jpg
    IMAG1520.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG1521.jpg
    IMAG1521.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 38

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What you need to pay attention to with point and shoots is the f-number, minimum focal distance, and image stabilization.

The lower the F-number, the wider the aperture...the more light it can let in and the wider your depth of field will be.

The lower the minimum focal distance is, the closer you can get to an object and still retain focus.

Image stabilization is less important because you can always set things up on a tripod and use the built in shutter release timer that is pretty standard on cameras these days...

So, if the camera doesn't have image stabilization, them make certain it has a tripod mount and a shutter release timer...and you will still be able to take high quality, clear, macros.

Which is another thing to look for - a camera that has a preset macro mode for taking the up close shots of trichomes we all love so much.

These images were taken on a Nikon S3000 - which is a point and shoot, with no ability to control the settings manually. All camera functions are preset and defined by user mode, just to give you an idea. Certainly not "the best" - but certainly gets the job done.

Macro mode, 10 sec timer, tripod:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

dank.Frank

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Consider buying Carson MicroMaxPlus 2 LED Microscope w/ iPhone 5/5S Adapter or a Carson Zorb Digital Microscope MM-480 for those close bud shots.

Got the advice from Avinish.miles here on ICMag after seeing his pics.

I bought mine on eBay....Amazon sells them as well. Between $20 (iPhone) - $50 digital microscope.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Should also note - a larger CMOS or CDD sensor is better than a higher megapixel rating. Try to get a camera with the largest sensor size in the price range you are looking...

dank.Frank

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
Thank you everyone for the quick replys.

dank.frank, I believe the closest distance for one I was thinking of was 5 cm(and it does have the stabilization), do you think this is ok, or would I be better looking for something closer to 1-2cm? (isnt 5cm like 2" ?)

Also the CMOS and CDD should be clearly written on the package right? Not sure if I see it here. Thinking this may be an ok option. Im gonna go look up the other ones suggested though, I do like the samples you showed. How much did that one run you?
attachment.php

Attachments

• samsung.jpg
    samsung.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 38

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't remember what I paid for it exactly. I've had it 3 years now. I'm sure there is a new model of it and the same model can be purchased rather cheaply by now.

The site listed above by staank is a great review site and if you take some time comparing all the stats of the cameras you are considering, you'll end up making a good choice, given your price range.

Largest sensor
smallest (closest) minimum focal distance
smallest F-number
image stabilization
tripod mount
shutter release timer

Just make a list of of those features for each camera and compare. If you search the names on DPreview, you'll find all the info you need there.

dank.Frank

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
ah sweet dank.frank, after looking at ur pics I realized what I thought may be a problem with my calaxes is just some purple coming through on the tips. I actually just ordered a nikon s3000 on amazon for $120, thanks man! I think it should be a really good starting point. I have some photography knowledge, but it's become dated in the past 7 years.
Can't wait to get some real pictures up!

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-S3000-E...F8&qid=1396554044&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+s3000

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice. glad to have been of some help.

It's a VERY basic camera as you can't change any of the presets - no manual adjustment - but it is a great point and shoot.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
Perfect. I'll likely be getting something more professional in the future. Just need something for now, my cell phone just doesnt cut it.

BayBHuey

La Vida Loca
What you need to pay attention to with point and shoots is the f-number, minimum focal distance, and image stabilization.

The lower the F-number, the wider the aperture...the more light it can let in and the wider your depth of field will be.

The lower the minimum focal distance is, the closer you can get to an object and still retain focus.

Image stabilization is less important because you can always set things up on a tripod and use the built in shutter release timer that is pretty standard on cameras these days...

So, if the camera doesn't have image stabilization, them make certain it has a tripod mount and a shutter release timer...and you will still be able to take high quality, clear, macros.

Which is another thing to look for - a camera that has a preset macro mode for taking the up close shots of trichomes we all love so much.

These images were taken on a Nikon S3000 - which is a point and shoot, with no ability to control the settings manually. All camera functions are preset and defined by user mode, just to give you an idea. Certainly not "the best" - but certainly gets the job done.

Macro mode, 10 sec timer, tripod:

dank.Frank

@dank.Frank, Thank you for that great bit of information you have supplied :D

BayBHuey

Latest posts

Latest posts