What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Liquorice or anise smelling strains

raygun

Hey everyone :wave:
I was hoping to get some feed back on some Liquorice or anise smelling strains. I have some seeds going I got from an outdoor grower in the PNW from the 2008 season. Many of the plants have a heavy Liquorice, anise, fennel/fennel seed smell to them.

I really like it and can't say I have ever had buds that had this flavor or smell. The grower did not know any history on them so I'm in the dark with them.

If anyone has had experience with Liquorice or anise smelling strains please chime in with what they were as I'm just interested now in whats out there that carries this great smell!

Oh and a pic not of the plants in question but just to color up my post.
picture.php

View image in gallery

Safe Growing
~raygun~

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
DurbanPoison is the original liquorice aniseed smelling bud as were some Thai and Asian strains apparently.Thats looks to be a sat/indica hybrid from the pic so may contain one of those genetic families to some degree along with some indica or afghani. Just speculating though bruv....JBo

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have smelled some licorice notes in a few of the Highend and f2's I've grown.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
This f3 pheno of my MoFlo (incrossed Flo) experiments has a strong, earthy liquorice smell, and has kept this trait from the original f1 seed-plant. I only had three seeds at f2, so was very pleased to preserve it. It flowers very quickly (and very early) at 49 days, and has rock-hard buds. I've only flowered it once indoors and got a fairly low yield, but this is the primary test pheno for outdoor growing - if it grows like I hope it will, it should produce some large buds by the end of September:

There's pics of the mother of this plant above in my Harvest pics thread - MoFlo 1B:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53382&pp=15&page=7

My Vanilluna keeper also has a similar liquorice flavour, though more perfumed and medicinal at the same time - very strange, but irresistible...:)

raygun

Lod- I saw that Durban P was about the only one that came up when searching.
The pict is actually of a sourbubble x (sourbubble x petrol) that I am working through some seeds on. This was one of the keepers for future seeds. I just wanted some color in the thread. I should get picts of the plants in question but they just look like any sat/indi hybrid. Perhaps a little more sativa to them based on the internodal spacing.

Its just that smell is intoxicating and I like black liquorice so its nice to find.

Do any of these strains SMOKE with the anise flavour? Big fan of Blackballs (the small jawbreakers), Absinthe, and the like.. would LOVE to add a weed strain to the mix ;)

1000ARMSofKALI

durban is anise for sure:joint: and experience with liquorice terpenes? i say bangi haze!

picture.php

picture.php

kali

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
E.Durban from TFD was a killer outdoor plant. I have heard that there are real SHITTY plants in the packs, but the ones that don't go ladyboy perform like mine did - Heavy, bubblegum/anise seed skunk. Oh, AND it was one of the earliest finishers I've grown :D

First plant I grew, only one that was clearly over a pound. I'm glad my buddy was vegging it for 2months before I knew you could REALLY grow pot in the northeast... BTW, you can. :D

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have grown several moc carnivals this past year, and the one I keep is a very dank stinker.
Although every plant I grew was almost identical, I had one with a more fruity note, and one that I can only describe as deep dank stank. Same smell as it's sisters, but very rich and heavy, and gives an unmistakable impression of warm licorice. Not only one of the best in flower and in the bag, it is one of the best pots I have ever smoked, bar none.
Instant rush high with a big pull (don't smoke carn while driving..no shit) and lasts a nice long time. No paranoia, and no lock. Just right. Very underrated stabilized strain.

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
I have grown MasterLow many of times and it is very similar to an aniseed smell. It is an autoflower strain made by mdanzig.

raygun

Hello Raygun... do you grow outdoors as well?
WR

Not really. I've been thinking about throwing a few outside this year but I just don't have the time to put in to a proper outdoor grow. My perpetual cab takes enought of my time plus I don't know what I would do with all the bud I'd be swimming in. I guess I would know what to do with it. :joint:
:yeahthats

EM - dude those look so nice! thanks for sharing!

1000arms - nice looking lady Unless the leaves get thinner in flower mine are not that skinny in veg. I know that some sativas will get thinner leaves in flower so we will just have to wait and see.

Barletta and Chubby - Thanks for the info.

Hoosierdaddy - That sounds like some fantastic herb. Never really heard much about MOD seeds. It was like they were all over here about a year ago then just faded off in the sunset.

I'm glad to see that there have been so many different strains all giving this same smell flavor. I'm sad now that I have never had weed that smelled like this in the 15+/- years of puffin. I feel so isolated now... :1help:
LOL well keep them coming. I'll get pict up sooner or later.

safe growing
~raygun~

D

deathtosoapbar

the south african sativa pheno of mandala#1 is very aniseed/ liquorice smelling if you rub the stem or a bud..very similar to durban poison but better.

supersonic

papa's candy (lao x paki) has aniseed smell very simillar to durban poison, with cure more spicy notes come forward but it's still very aniseed...

White Rabbit

Digging in the garden
ICMag Donor
...will it be worth it for Raygun to put an African Sativa under lights? I have a mix of "African" landrace sativa sees that are dying to see the light of of an outdoors day. Dont know how they will fare in the colder climates, but they sure will be interesting to watch. Some of the seeds that I grew out previously outdoors had all the hallmarks of a liquorice smelling sativa. Ya like?

the Rabbit.

raygun

Rabbit that is a good question. If they are indeed "African land race sativas" I would be surprised. They supposedly finished around Oct. up here according to the grower. So I think that they are some hybrid. But if they are land race I'll be doing my best to make them happy under the lights this time around. Anything I put outdoors I'll have already grown so I know when it should finish and what its growth patterns are like.

Sounds like a lot of "old world" landraces have this flavor profile.

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
Several months ago I grew some Colombian brick weed seeds. They were tall and skinny and had an intense anise / licorice smell and taste. Nice sativas with a speedy high to match.

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
From the description of Sensi Seeds - Mexican Sativa:

Notes of sandalwood and aniseed are wrapped up in the sharp, fresh, resin-tinged scent of the Oaxacan original.

It's not in stock at Gypsys right now though, I think I snatched the last pack.
aim_cool_dude.png