What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Legal marijuana stirs hope in Illinois town

dddaver

Veteran
YES!!!! This...this is the kind of good news people need on Sunday morning MF bible thumping assholes. THIS is the only kind of fucking good news that I need. Sorry everybody else... just talking at the bible thumpers there.

AP Exclusive: Legal marijuana stirs hope in Illinois town

<figure id="yui_3_18_1_1_1443966545136_754" class=" cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox " data-id="0cfbd79a-7918-3a46-b197-3a9172636dc8">
. View gallery

</figure>

<cite id="yui_3_18_1_1_1443965427576_754" class="byline vcard top-line"> By CARLA K. JOHNSON <abbr id="yui_3_18_1_1_1443965427576_1120">21 hours ago</abbr> </cite>
<figure id="yui_3_18_1_1_1443965427576_1113" class=" cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox " data-id="0cfbd79a-7918-3a46-b197-3a9172636dc8">
</figure>ALBION, Ill. (AP) — A skunky aroma fills the room in which hundreds of lush marijuana plants grow, some nearly ready for harvest. Grower Ashley Thompson, a former high school agriculture teacher in this rural part of southeastern Illinois, takes the scent of weed home with her.

She doesn't mind. It's the fragrance of money and jobs.
"My family says I smell," said Thompson, who quit the classroom to work for Ataraxia, one of a handful of cultivation centers in Illinois, which is one of 23 states with medical marijuana. "I can't tell though."
The Associated Press recently gained an exclusive look at Illinois' first legal marijuana crop, and the new farmland ritual beginning amid surrounding cornfields in the historic town of Albion: the harvest of medical marijuana that will soon be sold in dispensaries around the state.
Ataraxia is the first center to make it to the finish line after running a gantlet of state requirements. For the company to find a home in Albion — where grain trucks rumble past the sleepy central square, cicadas drone in the trees shading a century-old courthouse and a breeze touches an empty bandstand — is paradoxical. Stores can't sell package liquor, but marijuana has been welcomed as a badly needed source of employment.
A comical T-shirt for sale says the town is "High and Dry."
View gallery

In this Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2015 photo, shops on the town square open for business in Albion, Ill. In …

Cheryl Taylor, who sells the shirts at her shop on the square, said the marijuana facility has everyone curious: "It's brought our little town to life."
Down a country road, tucked behind the New Holland tractor dealer and the Pioneer seed plant, the history-making cannabis crop is being cut and dried behind the locked doors of a giant warehouse. By mid-October, strains with names like Blue Dream, OG Kush, Death Star and White Poison will be turned into medicine in many forms: oils, creams, buds for smoking, edible chocolates and gummies.
It's been a twisting path to harvest, marked by delays and a secretive, highly restrictive program meant to avoid the creation of easy-access pot shops seen in other states. Until Illinois gave approval in late September for the AP's tour, only company workers and government inspectors had been inside the warehouse.
Thousands of cannabis plants — some in full bud, coated with cannabinoid-rich fibers — filled two large rooms at the facility on the day of the AP's tour. Mother plants and young plants started from cuttings had their own, smaller rooms.
The 1,900-person community of Albion, which is closer to Louisville, Kentucky, than Chicago, has embraced all this, sight unseen.
View gallery

In this Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2015 photo, Ataraxia's inventory manager Anthony Marsico inspects the …

"It's a good thing for the local economy," said Doug Raber, who sells insurance. "This is a pretty conservative area. Any kind of revenue we can have here is good."
Local developers sold a cornfield to Ataraxia for $5,000 an acre, which real estate agent Randy Hallam said is a 50 percent discount. The city also paid to build a road and extend water and sewer lines. The company hired locals to build and outfit the warehouse.
But only seven people, aside from managers, have been hired permanently. With only 3,000 approved medical marijuana patients, the company can't expand yet. CEO George Archos said he wants to hire 50 to 60, and meeting that goal will go a long way to keeping the community's support.
"Albion needs to diversify its employment," said Duane Crays, editor of The Navigator, Albion's newspaper. Chief employers regionally are agriculture, oil and gas production, and an auto filter plant.
Albion might seem an unlikely place for pioneering a marijuana crop, but it is no stranger to controversies, large and small. A few years ago, residents were at odds over whether to restore the historic brick streets or pave them over. The current debate is whether to sell alcohol in stores or keep the city dry, as it has been for decades, except for clubs.
View gallery

In this Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2015 photo, marijuana clones are monitored inside the "Vegetative Ro …

A love triangle was the city's first rift. Albion was founded in 1818 by an Englishman, George Flower; a former rival for the affections of Flower's wife founded his own settlement two miles away. The two men did agree on abolition, and the rival, Morris Birkbeck, penned essays credited with keeping Illinois free of slavery.
Traces of that settler spirit remain today, alderman Arrol Stewart said. "As the sign says when you come into town: 'Progressively Independent since 1818,'" Stewart said.
Residents' excitement over the health benefits of marijuana — from stimulating appetite in cancer patients to easing stiffness for people with multiple sclerosis — may also have historic roots. The bandstand marks the spot where a mineral spring once drew patients suffering from a host of ailments; it was said the water could cure.
"My wife has MS," Hallam said. She doesn't have her patient card yet, he said, "but she has a doctor's appointment coming up."
___
AP Medical Writer Carla K. Johnson can be reached at https://twitter.com/CarlaKJohnson

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-exclusive-legal-marijuana-stirs-hope-illinois-town-160357324.html

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
This could be the picture for many towns in every state.

This could be the picture for many towns in every state.

How long it will take is the question. Thanks for this posting. The time is near.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats cool! Thanks for sharing! Obviously the sky didn't fall when they opened. I like how AP got the 3rd picture caption wrong, calling a flowering room a veg. room. :smoke:

dddaver

Veteran
Thats cool! Thanks for sharing! Obviously the sky didn't fall when they opened. I like how AP got the 3rd picture caption wrong, calling a flowering room a veg. room. :smoke:

Yup, I noticed that too. Flowers in the veg room?

Hope it pans out for that town. Even packaged alcohol is illegal to sell there but they are okay with mmj? Smart people. So love to see things like that.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Even packaged alcohol is illegal to sell there but they are okay with mmj? Smart people. So love to see things like that.

even the Bible Belt can tell the difference between a God-given plant that makes people feel better & a poison that makes you do stupid shit & feel like hell in the morning... lots of cannabis was grown in Illinois during WW2 for military use. those old folks know when the govt is lying to them about something.:)

indocult

HAHAHA SHE SHAID HER FAMILY SAID SHE STINKS BUT SHE DOESNT NOTICE

Story of my life dude, opening my car these days smells like you just opened a jar of super stanky diesel and there is zero flowers in there haha

dddaver

Veteran
e3d0ed486e1ac72c830f6a706700cc0f.jpg

In this Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2015 photo, lead grower Dave Wilson cares for marijuana plants in the "Flower Room" at the Ataraxia medical marijuana cultivation center in Albion, Ill. Illinois regulations bar pesticides once the plants have flowered, so Ataraxia grows garlic, a natural pest repellent, alongside the cannabis in the flower room. (AP Photo/Seth Perlman)

Doin' it right. Love it. But IL has only 3,000 mmj patients right now? What's up with that? Should be at least 100 times that by now, maybe 1,000.

Then maybe places like that might be able to hire the 50-60 full time employees they want and need. God damned political bullshit here again, no doubt. WTF? People/families are hurting, fucking gov't. I love how places like this are doing things like this in spite of the gov't bullshit.

Obviously Sativa dominants growing too. Cool.

windycitysmoker

&#9878;TrippleBeamDreams&#9878;
Veteran
Im from chicago last summer i was reading the paper. the paper had an article in it that was talking about MJ IN COOK COUNTY. THE APP FEE TO APPLY to try and open a grow shop /dispen.. was a 100,000.00 dollars non refundable. than it said 19 people applyed and only 9 will be allowed the permit. i couldnt beleave that it was sooooo much just for them to say yea or nay on a app. than if u got approved it was like 250,000.00 for the lic...sooo much money the gov-state- county they are making a killing.thats fucked up i give up a hundred grand and than they say NOO oooo my i feel sorry for the ten that got their apps rejected

Latest posts

Latest posts