What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Legal Aspen Marijuana greenhouse stinks up neighborhood

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
File Under : Obvious

Skunk-like odors wafting from a Basalt-area marijuana cultivation facility have upset nearby neighbors and caused county commissioners to issue a stern warning to the proprietors behind the stench.

At a Pitkin County commissioners meeting Wednesday, residents said the smell is negatively affecting their quality of life, and their understanding was there would be no odor when commissioners approved the High Valley Farms facility, which includes a 20,000-square-foot grow house and 5,000-square-foot office building, in August 2013. The grow center opened last year.

“When you step outside, it’s like you’re stepping into a bag of weed,” said resident Bart Axelman, saying he’s “in no way opposed” to the industry in which High Valley is engaged. “Six months ago our neighborhood smelled like a neighborhood, and now it smells like someone is holding up a package of marijuana to your face.”

Read More: http://www.aspentimes.com/news/1563...s-marijuana-greenhouse-stinks-up-neighborhood

armedoldhippy

Veteran
"obvious" is the right term. the folks running that place need to get some big-ass carbon filters on line PDQ. pissing the neighbors off is the quickest way to build resentment up against you. just because it is legal does not give you the right to thumb your nose at folks...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Time to buy stock in the companies that supply the best activated carbon!

Or come up with some other genius scrubber for giant grow facilities.

Has anybody seen an active scrubber system for catching & destroying all these volatile organic compounds?

I've delt with industrial scrubber systems for semiconductor manufacturing but I don't see any similarities. A lot more air is moving through a greenhouse of that size.

Would HEPA filtration catch those V.O.C.s?

Jhhnn

Veteran
Complainants should compare notes with Greeley residents where numerous feedlots make for an especially fragrant environment. Denver residents know we're in for a snowstorm when the wind shifts to coming out of the northeast & the lovely aroma permeates the city. So yummy.

This must be different, I suppose, because it's OMFG marijuana.

One of them more interesting aspects of legalization is the number of people who need to get over themselves.

TDJester

The filters typically used in big tobacco would come in handy here. The filters at my work are typically 10 ft tall by 20 feet long and they pull some massive CFM.

Gry

Veteran
I cannot help but think of a nearby community that has been trying to get rid of a battery recycling center for 30 years. Lead in the soil for miles around, lead in the kids for miles around.

Obi-Wan

And the difference between Weed and every cities sewage treatment plant is?

Just because it is weed. Bet they wouldn't say shit if it was beer.