What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Leaf that was not pot gets Virginia 6th grader suspended from school for a year

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
File under : Asenine

By Dan Casey [email protected] 981-3423
At first blush it sounds like an open-and-shut school disciplinary matter in a zero-tolerance age:
Some schoolchildren claim another student bragged about having marijuana. They inform school administrators. An assistant principal finds a leaf and a lighter in the boy’s knapsack. The student is suspended for a year. A sheriff’s deputy files marijuana possession charges in juvenile court.
All of the above and more happened last September to the 11-year-old son of Bedford County residents Bruce and Linda Bays. He was a sixth-grader in the gifted-and-talented program at Bedford Middle School.
There was only one problem: Months after the fact, the couple learned the substance wasn’t marijuana. A prosecutor dropped the juvenile court charge because the leaf had field-tested negative three times.
Their son remains out of school — he’s due to return Monday on strict probation. But in the meantime, the events of the past six months have wreaked havoc on the formerly happy-go-lucky boy’s psyche. His parents say he’s withdrawn socially, and is now under the care of a pediatric psychiatrist for panic attacks and depression.
The couple — both are schoolteachers — have filed a federal lawsuit against Bedford County Schools and the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office. It refers to their son only by the initials R.M.B.
It alleges Bedford Middle School Assistant Principal Brian Wilson and school operations chief Frederick “Mac” Duis violated his due process rights under the U.S. Constitution.
“Essentially they kicked him out of school for something they couldn’t prove he did,” said Roanoke attorney Melvin Williams, the Bays’ lawyer.
It also accuses the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office of malicious prosecution, because Deputy M.M. Calohan, a school resource officer, filed marijuana possession charges against the boy despite field tests that indicated otherwise.
“The field test came back not inconclusive, but negative,” Williams said. “Yet she went to a magistrate and swore he possessed marijuana at school.”
Filed Feb. 3 in U.S. District Court in Lynchburg, the lawsuit doesn’t ask for specific damages. “We intend to see what a jury would say about that,” Williams said.
Bedford Sheriff Mike Brown did not return my phone call Thursday (a woman in his office said he was off work last week). Wilson and Duis each declined to comment, and instead referred me to the school system’s lawyer, Salem attorney Jim Guynn. He’s also representing the sheriff.
Guynn has moved to dismiss the suit for a couple of reasons that we’ll get into below. One argument, he told me, is that under the school board’s anti-drug policies it may not matter whether the leaf was marijuana or not.
Even if the lawsuit is as meritless as he suggests, the case presents a cautionary tale about the current zero-tolerance drug climate in Virginia schools.

Read more:
http://www.roanoke.com/news/columns...cle_67dc2868-0f0a-53c0-96ad-595a88391aa3.html

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I hope they sue those ignorant cretins back under the rocks from whence they crept...:woohoo:damn LEO ought to be up on criminal charges for filing after the test showed negative.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Man am I ever lucky they never caught me back in gradeschool with that bag of icing sugar... (too much miami vice the night before perhaps, I don't remember)... I was in grade 4....

That being said, when my older sister told my parents.....I was not spared the rod..lol

I will say for the bus ride home, I was a popular kid.... Big bag of tasty white sugar everyone was eating off their fingers...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day blastfrompast!

I was partying w some friends & one of em dump a bag of confectioners sugar on a huge mirror. His gf went hysterical when she saw it. LMFAO!

As for the article...
Some cope are dumber than a box of rocks!
Hope that kids parents give em hell!

Betterhaff

Veteran
A buddy of mine had a heart attack and was supposed to limit his salt intake. The wife hid all the salt shakers and such so he carries around a little baggie of salt. I told him he better watch out…he may be in big trouble if he ever got caught with it, lol.

That article about the kid reminds of the cops in TN or NC that pulled over an elderly couple because they had an Ohio State buckeye leaf bumper sticker.
1. The cops don’t know the difference between a buckeye leaf and marijuana leaf?
2. How stupid would you be for driving around with that kind of bumper sticker?

man thats bullshit my nephew got caught with a 1/8th at school and he only got suspended for a week lol in virginia its really strict if i get caught with just an ounce of plant matter ill get a min of 5 years although there was a feller that had 40 plants and got off the charge (fucking bullshit) we are even one of the first medical states!

Latest posts

Latest posts