What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Leaf Is A “Plug N’ Plant” Box To Automatically Grow Pot In Your Home

dddaver

Veteran
Whoa, here we go. MONEY!

http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/22/leaf-is-a-plug-n-plant-box-to-automatically-grow-pot-in-your-home/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000591 - with pics and everything :biggrin:

ic
Marijuana is a sticky subject. Twenty-three states (and D.C) have legalized some form of medical use, but possession, growth and distribution are still illegal in the majority of the United States.
However, as is the case with most new industries, slow regulation hasn’t stopped innovation.
Leaf, a TechCrunch Disrupt SF 2015 Battlefield company, is leading the revolution with its automated “Plug N’ Plant” home growing system. Leaf’s device is a 4′ x 2′ box that will fit two plants, which will yield between 4-5 ounces of weed.
ic

However, Leaf is much more than just a mini grow house. The system will monitor everything that your plants need to grow, including light, ventilation, nutrient levels and pH of the soil.
The system will also react to these measurements, meaning that if it senses that your plants are low on nutrients it can dispense more, or if it needs more light it can automatically brighten the environment. Users can also control these variables manually, effectively creating their own grow “recipes.”
Plug and Plant with Leaf

This is all controlled from Leaf’s iPhone app, which will also serve as a social network for users to exchange recipes and share videos of their plants.
To do this, Leaf has incorporated a built-in HD camera, which will automatically create time lapses and even let users access a live stream of their (or their friends’) grow.

Leaf has received a strategic investment from Advanced Nutrients, a major player in the cannabis nutrient space. The company will be supplying Leaf with nutrients that they will put inside individual, disposable pods, allowing nutrients to be replaced like an ink cartridge in a printer.
ic

However, this technology comes at a cost. The device will retail for $1,499, which makes it much more expensive than simply growing your plant in the ground. However, the company says that the machine will technically pay for itself after just a few months, as the “retail value” of 4-5 ounces (one growth cycle) is around $1,200.
Additionally, each grow will cost about $150 in nutrient cartridges and carbon filter refills. However, co-founder and CEO Yoni Ofir said that eventually the company hopes to drop the price of the actual device and generate its primary revenue from refills (à la Keurig).
Today, the company is opening up preorders of its device. Leaf will be available to users with a medicinal card in any of the 23 states that allow medical marijuana, as well as in the four states where marijuana is currently legal.
Customers can put down a $100 deposit to be the first to receive a Leaf when it ships in summer 2016.

http://www.getleaf.co/

LED grow light. Carbon filters. I think it's a pretty cool idea. I'm wondering if that app will work on Android phones.

Snook

Still Learning
Sounds great but controls everything?? GL.

but I was skeptical about selling water in bottles.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was most curious to see what light was included. Listening to him pitch it, sounds like another burple led- using NASA as a hook.

Did NASA grow cannabis in space? No, but they are growing greens and vegetables, which have entirely different requirements

No thanks

Nice that they way underestimated potential yield. I got 112gm of tightly trimmed bud from a single plant reveg under ~ 160w of primarily white diodes led.

View attachment 334042 View attachment 334043

View attachment 334044 View attachment 334045

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks pretty cool! If it works I'll buy one but when can we see ACTUAL PRODUCT and the timeline in which is grew?

Show us the money er, product:)

dddaver

Veteran
Looks pretty cool! If it works I'll buy one but when can we see ACTUAL PRODUCT and the timeline in which is grew?

Show us the money er, product:)

Supposed to have a medical card or be in a legal state to get one and first one fielded in summer 2016. But maybe FL will be by the time it really gets going though. Or I'm sure there are ways around that medical or legal state anyway. We all are used to bending the laws. Like getting someone from another state to order one and have it sent to you for instance. The extra cost of shipping would only be minimal in comparison to the cost of the unit.

I have a lot of questions about it but am kinda turned off that you even have to register with them, to ask in an email. Like, I think it's soil, but on app phone pic at the site it shows a PPM reading. For what? The nutrients maybe?

Definitely not organic. Must have to do a thorough cleaning after each grow too. For that much you could buy a tent, big light (maybe great LED), fantastic state of the art in-line ventilation, big carbon filter can, great soil and air-pots, best nutrients, buy a camera and get an app yourself, and whatever else. The convenience, stealth (but if you are legal or medical why worry about that too?) and ease of use is what you'd be paying for.

I'm like you though. I'd have to see it work a few times before laying out that kind of bread.

Snook

Still Learning
Supposed to have a medical card or be in a legal state to get one and first one fielded in summer 2016. But maybe FL will be by the time it really gets going though. Or I'm sure there are ways around that medical or legal state anyway. We all are used to bending the laws. Like getting someone from another state to order one and have it sent to you for instance. The extra cost of shipping would only be minimal in comparison to the cost of the unit.

I have a lot of questions about it but am kinda turned off that you even have to register with them, to ask in an email. Like, I think it's soil, but on app phone pic at the site it shows a PPM reading. For what? The nutrients maybe?

Definitely not organic. Must have to do a thorough cleaning after each grow too. For that much you could buy a tent, big light (maybe great LED), fantastic state of the art in-line ventilation, big carbon filter can, great soil and air-pots, best nutrients, buy a camera and get an app yourself, and whatever else. The convenience, stealth (but if you are legal or medical why worry about that too?) and ease of use is what you'd be paying for.

I'm like you though. I'd have to see it work a few times before laying out that kind of bread.

It is controlled via your smart phone that is open to pretty much anyone that want to look there. I wont even take pics with my smart phone as (I live in Fla too) they, one day, could be used against you legally before Fla goes 'legal'.

I'm with you though about the tent and stuff but there are those that just want it to happen and will never know about why/how it happens: that's where spending ridiculous money on a I don't have to know nothing machine comes in. More money than brains.

I spoke to a friend in CA (I cant believe it) that was running his veg 24/7 until 12/12 (for years) and didn't know why he couldn't get 2 oz out of his 4 week vegged plants (OGK).. I didn't ask him if he knew about lighting and color spectrums.

Education, initially, is more important than function.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
if AN is involved I aint interested....and I prefer organic anyhow...yeehaw...theres a sucker born every minute tho and stoned suckers will buy all kinds of crap....yeehaw

Latest posts

Latest posts