What's new

Keeping a mom or pollen for backcrossing?

alvin88

Hey all
Very new at this, just looking to have some fun and hopefully make somewhat table seeds doe future use.

I plan to cross a male deep chunk with a female Lao. Hoping to find something that yields decent and early with some of the Asian sativa effects as well. I certainly will certainly be looking most for a hybrid that does well outdoors for me.

I am super confused and have been trying to read as much as I can but I'm having trouble grasping all the technicalities.

So far though, I think I need to:
Make F1's, and then F2's.

Do I want to back cross the F2 to an F1? Or P1??
Should I keep one of the P1's around in Mother form or can I just keep some pollen to hit the F2 with later?

Hope yall can help, and hopefully I'm just overthinking all this.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Those being different type of photoperiod plants you will need to time the pollen and pistil match up or use stored pollen. I prefer live pollen over stored but stored will work.

Start by crossing the two strains. Then take the 2nd offspring different parents and cross those parents. Continue until you get the mix you are looking for. Remember it can take a long time to hybridize two plants from two different photoperiod strains. Years

Jimi Caliente

Before thinking of a backcross you can simply take your time and explore F2. Deep Chunk is known to be very dominant in F1. Lao parent will be revealed in F2. F2 is a very exciting generation as it reveals recessive traits and have enough vigor as well.
It reminds me Monkey Haze (Deep Chunk x Haze F2). I quote Tom Hill about it (why F2?):

"(...) I'd be glad to share my expectations regarding the DCxHaze-F2 with you all.
First, this is an F2 in the most classical sense, expect it to be variable. Expect it to yield the classic Mendelian ratio. In other words, 25% Haze, 25% DC, and 50% somewhere in between - for all traits.
This is a segregating population, a recombination generation of incredibly distant lines and I am looking for some deal of what we call transgression. IE, I am looking for a line within that has phenotypic values laying outside of either parental population. More frosty than DC, more cerebral than Haze, that type of thing.
This is truly where breeding begins, not ends, and I have tried to price it accordingly. I consider this a part of my breeding program that I happen to have some extra seed of, and I want folks to experience it with that understanding - that it is a beginning, not an end.
The ped reads (F1) 2 outstanding DC phenotypes (2 of 144) pollinated by 10 resinous Haze males.. F2 gen was approx 50 F1's left to open pollinate.
The next move (call this generation zero - G0) is planting 3000 F2 seed to finish out 300 females and isolate 15 for genotyping and further breeding. I hope that you all will follow along regardless if you buy any, fun it will be, hopefully educational as well.
(...)"

Take fun with your cross and share it with us.