What's new

Jeep Comanche

zingablack

livin my way the high way
Veteran
its prolly the 2.5 engine. if so RUN AWAY. ive always had and loved jeeps but that engine tranny combo is not one of their greatest ideas. look for a 4.0 high output with a 5 speed. trust me you cant go wrong with it.

B

basement420

If it is a 2.5L I agree with zingablack, pass on that deal. While it seems like an smaller economical engine it really is just a dud. Also try to make sure that if it has a 5 speed that it is not the Peugeot BA-10 Transmission as this tranny is known to cause problems even with little abuse, and isn't cheap to fix. Try to get the AX-4 or AX-15 Transmission. And if it is an Auto it will be the AW4 automation transmission which in my opinion is bulletproof. Also With the 4.0L engine it will be what is called a renix engine which has some differences from the modern 4.0L but it is still a very good engine, I have owned a few older 4.0Ls. They last forever, just gave my first Cherokee to my little brother. It has 220,000 miles and runs great, has the 4.0L with the AW4.

Last edited:
B

basement420

Hey dont get me wrong the commanche is a great truck, can't complain about them at all. Being this one has the 6 cylinder and a 5 speed you have all of the good components (not the bad ones I mentioned) , dont worry about it with this truck it is set up fine.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I like the old CJ8, the Jeep Scrambler,
produced in low numbers from '81-'86.

Available in soft & hard tops, roll bar was standard.......

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bongasaurus said:
anyone reccomend a good little reliable old truck. preferably 4x4. decent on gas?
You betcha.......
try googling the Dodge 50 4x4, aka Dodge Ram 50 4x4, aka Dodge D-50 4x4; these were produced from early 80s thru maybe '91, I think they were replaced by the Dodge Dakota. These are small 4x4s bro and came w/ Mitsubishi 2.0 & 2.6 litre engines, 5 speed tranny was standard of course.

This one is set up w/a chevy 350 but gives you an idea on its size

NOKUY

Veteran
ive always wanted to get an old subaru brat and and turn it into a beast.

they are good on gas and reliable, but getting harder to find....if you do find 'em they arent usually very expensive.

dirtpile10.jpg

001__scaled_600_001.jpg

old_brat.jpg

subaru_brumby_brat_25-07.jpg

Last edited:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You hitting eBay, CraigsList, & the local papers?
That little Doge is best imo, but the Subaru Brat
was my 2nd choice. If you can find any Toyota
4x4s w/ the 2.2 litre 4 cylinder go for it, the 3.0
litre V6 is a great Toyota engine & will likely get
you just shy of 20mpg.

the Rock

tacoma 4 x4 last forever { put 120K on a 2000 gave it to my son in law couple years ago and its still running great at 190K= 4 cyl 2.2L never had any probs general maintenence only

F

Four2Zero

In 1988 I bought a new 4x4 Comanche w/3.2L V6 (GM motor, known as POS). One problem after another including a complete new paint job, 2 engine pulls to replace leaky mainseals and an electrical problem lead me to sell it at 30K miles and I bought a new 89 toyota 4x4 sr5 extracab.. ran 200k miles and traded in for a Tundra in 2000 and now I have 110K on the Tundra. Never had a truck in the repair shop since 89. Buy Toyota. they last forever.

zingablack

Veteran
yea keep lookin man when the right deal pops up you will KNOW it. i bought my jeep for 1500 with a 4 inch lift brand new MTs, new clutch, K&N air intake, hitch and more. saw it in the paper, had it in my garage in 2 days.

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
still looking pretty much everyday all over the net.

and i came across a 93 Toyota Pickup sport in awesome shape. there asking 4600 and i think ill offer 4000

any opinions?

zingablack

Veteran
yea dude offer what you think is fair. the guy who sold me my jeep was asking 2400. i offered 1500 and he said 1750. well i came back the next day and said hey i got 1500 cash and thats all i can get. his next words made my highschool days so much better. and i quote. im not gonna bitch about 250 bux. YAY i just bought a jeep. man offroadin is one hell of a time. good luck on your endevours. sp

B

basement420

I agree with zingablack, offer what you think is fair and bring cash if at all possible. Sellers seem to take your offer more seriously when you offer a few thousand in cash on the spot. Always buy in cash.

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
nice! I want a 09 tacoma access cab with the 6 speed manual 4x4 it gets no better than that in my book. its only $30,000 over my budget of $0.00

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
haha sounds sick norcal

so ive had the truck just over a week and im lovin it! the standards taking some getting used to but i get better every day. she made it about 400k on the highway no troubles. took it up to 160 and it still felt like it could do more. and it only cost me 40 bucks to fill

so far so good